User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door card removal tips please... elec window not working!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Door card removal tips please... elec window not working!!

I need to take the door card off ... my drivers window stopped working. The motor can be heard working ... but there was a loud clunk and now my window can be slid opened and closed by hand!!

So, door card needs to come off. Am I right in thinking there is just the 3 torx screws at the bottom and the rest is just clips all the way round? It seems to be on very firm and I dont want to force if there are other screws I've missed!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : Astra Twin Top

Engine : 1.9cdti

Year : 07

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/upload...1/00202035.pdf

theres more than three follow this .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design

Engine : 3.0 CDTI

Year : 2005

Screws out, lift before pull would be my advice then watch the door card itself doesn't scrape on the floor or rip the plastic sheet as it dangles on the door release cord.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

bent regulator arm popping out of regulator channel causes this which in turn knocks front ball joint out of white plastic popper on front scissor arm in glass channel,you will need the window out to straighten arms if bent(2nd arm towards back of glass is attached by a torque screw) and theres a third upright ball joint clasp that runs up and down towards back end of door.

20 years as a windscreen engineer and vectras/combo/astra are prone to this....only difference with vectra is window motor and guide for counter balance for regulator arm are riveted and may need new rivets
    I have always advised customers regardless of car to once a month use a silicon based polish or spray(not wd40 or grease) and wind all windows down and give a good squirt down each channel...stops the rubber/felt from drying out over time which causes whats happened to yours

Its not confined to vauxhalls...rovers/honda and nissans are notorious for this too

If your reluctant to try fixing it yourself try popping into your local branch of National Windscreens(sorry for the plug) and you should be able to get it sorted for about £20-£30 if you mention Carl from Coventry branch said to pop in(was Asst manager up until today...but manager for Banbury from tomorrow) and they should sort you out
    Last edited by Tallywhacker; 29th September 2011 at 23:42.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the help chaps ... I have a free morning so will go and have a look at it.

Northampton :-( How the hell did that happen ?!
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi Kev - You're probably into the job already, but just in case, there's a good 'How2' from Ademusic here---> http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121522 which is actually about replacing the door checkstrap, but does have some good photos and notes about removing the door card. Fro me, by far the hardest part is lifting it off the door... it's very securely clipped on, along the top, to the inner door skin, plus it's hard to get a grip of... you need some brute force and a lot of faith to lift it off.... good luck ! :-)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well, after removing the door trim I twisted my back just lifting the window straight again, couldnt move ... agony!! So I decided to take the car to a window place in Rochdale. I have just had a call from them saying the window has been replaced before, and who ever did it cut corners which left a bolt in the wrong place. This has been catching on the regulator and has wrecked it basically. Cost to fit new one ... £130.

Does this sound genuine or am I being ripped off?!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the mechanism, motor and regulators are riveted not bolted...if a new mechanism is needed do not get the windscreen company to buy it as they would add their bit on top,it would be cheaper to buy yourself....its not a well known one thats always advertising on radio and tv was it? as whatever they charge for replacing windows that are non insurance you can halve if not more against their prices.(we all get the same glass from the same suppliers)

the teeth on scissor arms are usually protected so apart from glass dropping in it(wont kill it but makes it crunchy for a while) from a broken doorglass will be fine....I can guarantee that its a bent arm thats popped out at the front of the channel thats attached to the glass or a bent third arm thats popped out the regulator....both just need straightening up and popping back in and if regulator arm, the slide the arm goes in needs the rivets drilling out,attached back to the arm and riveting back into place

even if someones put a longer screw that should of been where door grab is all it would do is bend the arm and pop out(usually you would hear scraping and clicking as the arm passes over it long before it went)

if you heard a single pop when it went then its the dry rubber/felt channel each side of the doorglass thats dried out and put the mechanism/glass under pressure which in turn has bent and popped one of the arms out(probably find the rubber has pulled out the channel it sits in in the door too....window needs removing, follow the above and use a good silicon polish/spray on the rubber/felt as that builds up a nice smooth coating and just remember to wind all windows down once a month and give each channel a good squirt.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : Z20NET

Year : 04

Quote Originally Posted by Tallywhacker View Post
    bent regulator arm popping out of regulator channel causes this which in turn knocks front ball joint out of white plastic popper on front scissor arm in glass channel,you will need the window out to straighten arms if bent(2nd arm towards back of glass is attached by a torque screw) and theres a third upright ball joint clasp that runs up and down towards back end of door.

20 years as a windscreen engineer and vectras/combo/astra are prone to this....only difference with vectra is window motor and guide for counter balance for regulator arm are riveted and may need new rivets
    I have always advised customers regardless of car to once a month use a silicon based polish or spray(not wd40 or grease) and wind all windows down and give a good squirt down each channel...stops the rubber/felt from drying out over time which causes whats happened to yours

Its not confined to vauxhalls...rovers/honda and nissans are notorious for this too

If your reluctant to try fixing it yourself try popping into your local branch of National Windscreens(sorry for the plug) and you should be able to get it sorted for about £20-£30 if you mention Carl from Coventry branch said to pop in(was Asst manager up until today...but manager for Banbury from tomorrow) and they should sort you out
    Think I'll do this tommorow, you have described exacty what has happened to mine!
    Stripped the door card off already, what time do you reckon they'll be open on sunday?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

they won't mate...all our branches operate OOH only from 12.30 sat through to 8.30 monday(unless you want to pay more for a callout)...sorry, shame your not down my neck of the woods as I'd sort it for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information