User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternator died last night 1.9 CDTi 150 - Information for others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Alternator died last night 1.9 CDTi 150 - Information for others.

Hi all, well after what has been an expensive fortnight what with the starter motor disintegrating and taking the battery out with it, it would seem it put too much strain on the alternator, which decided to pack up on me last night.

Left work at 10pm and 2 minutes or so later the dreaded light shows up on the dash, so it's quickly into test mode on the radio and sure enough the voltage is reading 11.6v, so switch of phone charger, fans everything except the lights and speed up a little, luckily there wasn't too much traffic about that time of night, got home 20 minutes later with the voltage just dipping to 10.9v as I turned into the drive, never used my indicators once etc!.

So out with the battery an on charge overnight.

This morning quick check, charged battery and the multimeters out.
    The alternator is chucking some current out but not enough to keep the battery topped up.
    It is a DENSO unit because you can read it in the moulding of the black plastic cover at the back of the alternator so, search the forums, and in the How to section I came across this link http://www.absolutely-starters-alter.../vauxhall.html
    I spoke to a very helpful man called Andy who confirmed my suspicions, the rectifier was most likely shot.
    He then proceeded to talk me through how to remove the alternator which is covered in the How to : http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92987

My background is Electronics and I'm a multiskilled engineer with Electrical bias so I have just ordered the rectifier unit itself for under £30 all inc.

Andy also stated that you can actually replace the rectifier with the alternator still in the car, so guess what I'll be attempting this weekend?.

I will post back how I got on, ideally with pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

common fault on the 120 cdti not so much on the 150 but as you say it looks like knock on from the starter goin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Any chance you can take some photo`s while you change the rectifyer id for one would like to know how that is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : SRI With a few added extras

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 120

Year : 06

Quote Originally Posted by roswell View Post
    Any chance you can take some photo`s while you change the rectifyer id for one would like to know how that is done.
    be interesting to see a camera tucked way down there at the back of the engine, let alone arectifier lol!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just out of interest, how many miles are on the car? My starter motor was making weird noises recently, as if not engaging properly. 66k miles on mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 1.9 CDTi 150

Year : 2007

Quote Originally Posted by mikey68 View Post
    Just out of interest, how many miles are on the car? My starter motor was making weird noises recently, as if not engaging properly. 66k miles on mine.

What sort of noises can you hear? is it by any chance a whining sound?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Gonna get cracking on with the repair now, and my car has 104k miles on it.
    Phone camera will fit behind there no problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 1.9 CDTi 150

Year : 2007

Good luck with replacing the rectifier, Hope it all works out. Keep us updated

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry it's took so long, I have been really busy at work.

Well the repair went very well, didn't rush and took pictures, took 4 hours in all and what a pig to get the alternator out of the car.

Firstly, repair in situ is IMPOSSIBLE, the alternator has to come out.

So for this, follow this guide by Telly Addict (Thank you) with a few comments added below:
    http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92987

In picture 5, the two bolts circled yellow, there is no need to completely remove the topmost bolt (Left one in the picture), just slacken it. it holds a hanging bracket which bolts to the alternator with the lower bolt also marked yellow (Right one of the two). This bracket will then just swing up out of the way.

To undo the electric connections is a right PITA, so almost remove the bolt securing the alternator from the pulley end and slide the alternator away from all the pipes etc, this will then allow you to get an 8mm socket with a 1/4 drive wrench in to undo the small nut holding the signal wire to the alternator as well as better access to the main power terminal (13mm).

PICS:
    http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/attach...1&d=1318321315
    The first pic shows the two bolts and the hanger bracket mentioned above.

Pic 2: Unclip the fuel lines from the black plastic clip and remove this bracket from the bulkhead which holds the fuel pipes.

Pic 3:This will give you the necessary clearance to get the alternator out without removing the fuel filter. It's a squeeze, but it can be done.

Remove the brushes holder, but be careful as you don't want to damage this, then remove the nuts which hold the rectifier in place.

You will need a good soldering iron and solder sucker to remove the solder from the 3 points where the rectifier is soldered, as you remove the solder, bend back the tabs.

When refitting, bolt the rectifier in place before squeezing the tabs closed and soldering them.

The brushes have a protective cover which has to be removed to gain acces to them, carefully refit the brushes holder keeping the brushes away from the slip rings until in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Damn, I have more pics, but the forums won't let me upload, but basically, it's just reassembly which is the opposite of what you have already done..

The pictures don't show the black cover which simply clips over the back of the alternator.

And when refitting the auxillary belt it is a good idea to put the car into 6th, get someone to push you with your foot on the clutch so you have some momentum, then lift the clutch, this will turn the engine so you can see if the belt is sitting correctly. Starting the engine with an incorecctly fitted auxillary belt will instantly shred it as some members have already found out.

Feel free to ask any questions.

I will try and make a fully downloadable PDF using Telly addicts guide and my alternator repair pictures if time allows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information