Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Development Stages

My first run at Scooby Clinic on DynoDynamics rolling road when the car was bog standard produced a run of 156 bhp and torque of 235ft/lbs.
    After a few minor mods I returned in March 2010 to produce 164.8 bhp and 258 ft.lbs.
    My interest was aroused to determine what worked and what did not work but I was surprised to find there was a serious lack of genuine, reliable knowledge and advice available. As I had no small diesel tuning experience of any sort, although I am very well versed in tuning turbo petrol cars, this was a voyage of discovery. What was good for a petrol turbo engine was not necessarily good or desirable on a diesel.

The modification route took in a totally decatted and improved exhaust system turbo back, air box mod, EGR delete, butterfly delete, experimenting with tuning boxes, concluding that mapping was a far better option if that last bit of power was important, experimenting with water injection, fitting one of my own front mounts, modifying the original turbo, building a hybrid turbo that was exceptionally powerful but was laggy and capable of power that in time would have been beyond the ability of the engine internals, a trial with an alternative turbo which surprisingly/unsurprisingly could not out perform the original modified turbo and the current incarnation which is probably almost as far as I can go on the existing engine, retains good spool, shed loads of power and running reduced boost. Still with good fuel economy when driven properly and the potential for a few more BHP subject to final experiments.
    All very interesting as the graph above indicates and just a snap shot soon after the project started to the end result.
    Last edited by Harvey Smith; 24th September 2011 at 14:24.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI

Engine : 3.0 V6 CDTI

Year : 2007

I'm going to follow this thread, I don't own a 1.9 but some of the theories may carry over to the 3.0

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The first modifications were the oil breather mod and the air box mod, all well documented elsewhere. I am not sure what effect the oil breather mod had and now I run a remote catch tank (an old oil plastic container) so that mod was not relevant in the end. The car was fitted with a K+N panel filter and this all resulted in an output of around 164 bhp. I am not sure that changing the panel filter results in any more power and one of my final checks will be to determine if this is actually the case but the airbox mod was certainly worthwhile.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have a similar car and similar set up so am very keen to watch this thread

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

I'm pratically running the same mods except the Hybrid turbo and oil breather. When you say the throttle butterfly has been deleted have you had it removed from the ECU?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It was Derek who kindly told me about the oil breather mod and pointed me in the right direction and the photographs below show where I have ended up in respect of a remote oil catch tank.

Note the strategically placed small wooden wedge.

At an early stage I realised that the cross bar connecting four throttle flaps was disconnected and no matter how often I put it back on it continued to disconnect. I discovered this was a common fault on these engines and can only be resolved with a new inlet manifold. The inlet manifold actually has eight ports. Four controlled by variable throttle flaps and four fixed conventional ports. I guess the purpose of the four throttle flaps is to improve low RPM response. I superglued the flaps in the open position but could not detect any significant change in response and I therefore considered the possibility of deleting the four throttle flaps.
    When I got the old inlet manifold off I was shocked to find how gummed up it was with a considerable amount of carbon mixed with oil mist. Once fitted I did further experiments with the throttle flaps disconnected and held in the fully open position and then concluded there was no reason not to delete the throttle flaps permanently. This was done at a later stage when I refurbished the original inlet manifold and removed the spindles and flaps. The inlet manifold was well made so there was little to be gained from porting but I did tidy it up in a couple of places.
    Obviously it was only a matter of time before the heavy carbon and oil deposit gummed up the new inlet manifold and I started investigating EGR removal or blanking it off.
    Initially this was done quite successfully with a blanking plate but this brought on the check engine light and continued to bring on the CEL after reset. I then discovered that with an 8mm bleed hole in the blanking plate the CEL remained off. Subsequently the EGR was deleted at the ECU but that came later.

Here are some photographs relevant to the bits I was looking at.
    The EGR unit in the photos is in perfect working order and available for sale if anyone needs one.
    You can also see the link bar, throttle spindles and flaps and the butterfly/"throttle" flap which I removed.

About this time I fitted a 2 bar boost guage and an air charge temperature guage. The ACT guages I fit regularly to Subaru cars which I tune on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Harvey Smith; 25th September 2011 at 22:50.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

If the EGR valve being blocked is still bringing on the light it could be down to the switches in the ECU software not being zeroed.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Here is the original oil breather restrictor mod I tried.
    Probably not worthwhile.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks Gazza. It was no longer an issue once disabled at the ECU. This is what I said above :
    Initially this was done quite successfully with a blanking plate but this brought on the check engine light and continued to bring on the CEL after reset. I then discovered that with an 8mm bleed hole in the blanking plate the CEL remained off. Subsequently the EGR was deleted at the ECU but that came later.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information