User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: cost of replacing injector seals ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question cost of replacing injector seals ?

Hi, I have a problem with my veccy 2.0dti, i think its the injector seals, i need to find a garage that will do it for me, whats an acceptable price to pay?
    Ideally situated near coventry/nuneaton.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

BUMP!

Any idea on cost? Just serviced my 2.0 DTi Signum and the fuel filter was black and sticky with oil, so I'm guessing injector seals have gone. Also, have previoulsy had starting issues when parked facing uphill, so probably need to do the leak off pipes whilst in that area.

Is it a job to try myself? I'm no mechanic but fine doing basic jobs like servicing etc. Just wondering what cost of parts is likely to be vs cost of garage or even dealers doing for me.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Also, would the injector seals leaking cause any long term damage?
    I'm thinking of the fragile fuel pump naturally.
    I'm thinking having engine oil in the pump is either really good for it, from a lubrication POV, or really bad as in it may make the pump more likely to fail?
    I've read the thread on here about using two stroke oil in the fuel, so I'm guessing its not the end of the world.
    Would leaking injector seals effect mpg in anyway? That has taken a dive lately, from 50-55 down to 39-42, hence the service. Seems better after a service (and clean fuel filter) but after calculated new mpg yet as only done 50 miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

duplicate post deleted
    Last edited by Boz657; 18th January 2012 at 15:04. Reason: duplicate post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

about 50p a seal but ... £200 each if you damage the injector ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the reply.
    I've done a bit more searching and I'm convinced the injector seals are probably beyond me! There is a really nice how to on vvoc if anyone is thinking about trying it, really nice pictures etc. but ultimately, I wouldn't be comfortable messing with the cams etc to get to the injectors.

So, what damage can the injector seals do long term? I understand they leak air which can cause starting problems.
    Touch wood, I've never had any starting issues apart from the only time I've parked facing uphill when I also had less then a 1/4 tank, which was over two years ago. I always park downhill since then.
    This one starting issue could be leak off pipes though, have never changed them.

I think I will need to be changing the fuel filter quite reguarly, it was black and sticky when I serviced it at the weekend after 10K since last change and had definately been effecting mpg. mpg appears to be back to normal now I've had a bit of a drive...110 miles and needles width over a notch used.
    It is only due to the condition of the fuel filter that makes me think the injector seals have gone. Is there another reason a fuel filter could be covered in engine oil? The fuel in the filter canister was pretty black when I emptied that out.

so,
    a - could the oily fuel filter be anything but injector seals, and
    b, - if it is injector seals, what long term damage can be caused if they don't get changed.

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : CDTI 150

Trim : Design

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

This months (Feb) issue of Car Mechanics gives a step by step guide complete with pics, tools reqd and parts.
    Shows how to do it without taking the head off. Looks straight forward for the average DIYer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The injector seals isn't that bad of a job to do! if you cable tie the timing chain to the pully and then unbold the cam box you can tilt the cam shaft up enough to get tee drivers side seal changed te rest are easy to get to once the one nearest the cam pully is done!! I had a quote for about £350 from a garage but managed to do mine for £35 incliding new gaskets and getting myself a haynes manual incase i got stuck!

It seems really daunting but once the rocker cover is off you can see what you need to undo to move the cam shaft!

If you do go for it you will need a 10mm star drive socket and definatly borrow a torque wrench cos you dont want to be striping the thread in the cam bearing bolts!!!

It really isnt too bad i did mine in the snow last January and it took about 1.5 hours!

Also the other thing to remember is not to overtighten the injector once the new seal is in, Just do it finger tight and then give it one full turn with the ratchet and no more or you will risk damaging the new seals! It seem quite loose but it is just enough to crush the new seals and get a good fit.

Shame u aint near croydon matey i would give you a hand!!

Thread Information