Thread: 3.0 V6 CDTI Cutting Out/Power Loss

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 3.0 V6 CDTI Cutting Out/Power Loss

On my way to work today, and for the fourth time this month car cut out in the middle of the road, put my foot down to accelerate and nothing!!

Just some backround info: My car is the 3.0 DISIEL V6 CDTI Engine, Automatic.

So after browsing these forums for several hours, most of the problems I have seen related to this engine come from the 1.9 models...

The problem with mine is that while driving, I lose power and get no response from the throttle, but the engine remains on. There have been a few occasions where I come to a stop and the engine turns off completely, and when trying to turn back on wont move. This problem only happens now and again, but it seems to happen at the worst times i.e. like today in the middle of a roundabout....

Anyone any suggestions? Im assuming if i brung it to the stealers they would'nt be able to tell me the fault strait away as their is no light on? (the spanner light came on a few weeks ago but turned off when I switched the engine off...)

Please guys, any advice would be appriciated as this is getting really frustrating now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My mate had this problem after someone remapped his ecu to get get rid of the dpf filter . His was an auto. When I read code the code indicated auto fault, ecu currupt. I think it upset the auto box and that was why it stopped. I reset his ecu for him and I cured the problem. If you can find anyone with OP-com or tech 2 to reset your engine ecu. Try that first.

How many miles has you car done ?
    What year Is the car ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by jagz21 View Post
    Anyone any suggestions? Im assuming if i brung it to the stealers they would'nt be able to tell me the fault strait away as their is no light on? (the spanner light came on a few weeks ago but turned off when I switched the engine off...)
    The warning light suggests there is an issue
    However once you have turned the engine back on a few times the code is deleted
    Equally, mine has thrown up error codes even though the warning light has not come on, it appears the ECU only does this once readings are such that safe mode is required
    Therefore either arrange for the readings to be taken under breakdown cover or at the dealership

As a 2006MY it will probably have a Z30DT engine, so we may need the engine number (found on the vehicle documents or V5)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Its a 2006 (56) and has done just under 40k...

In reply to the spanner light that came on, this only happaned once, on the motorway (nto to sure why, just randomly). My car then wudnt rev past 3000 and I could go over 60 mph ( I think this is safe mode?)...

Like I said once the car was restarted, light came off and all was fine...

Just to add, when the power does cut, it usualy comes back on within 30 seconds....

Does this sound like a possible injector issue? Or split hose or something? (btw I tried to locate this hose, but they all seem to be ok)..

I also tried to check the throttle, but am i write in assuming this model has an electric one driven by sensors?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

In reply to the spanner light that came on, this only happaned once, on the motorway (nto to sure why, just randomly). My car then wudnt rev past 3000 and I could go over 60 mph ( I think this is safe mode?)...
    Yes, that is safe mode
    It will be almost impossible to diagnose without some fault finding
    Personally, I would wait until it becomes more erratic and common, rather than just a one-off

Where did you source and buy the car from?
    What type of warranty do you have?
    If you do not have one, then get one now, the AA breakdown and repair cover is recommended (I had this during 2010)
    Then when the fault occurs and the warning light comes on, call them out, and leave the engine running so that the fault light remains on

It sounds to me like the accelerator pedal sensor is failing, hence why when you press gas you get no response and eventually the EMS will respond that there is no response from the sensor
    This could also be related to the CIM, another known issue
    Do you ever have another strange occurances, such as the indicators failing to cancel?

Or, does the engine actually switch off?
    Last edited by m8internet; 21st September 2011 at 10:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Those were my thoughts exactly, wait untill it becomes more common, but it seems to be cutting out reguarly now (sometimes just for 1-2 seconds)...The engine remains ON - dash and everythign working ok - no response from throttle at all

No the indicators and everything else respond fine...Im just getting no power when pressing throttle...then all of a sudden whoooosh off I go.

I did think calling the AA out when the light is on, only one prblem though, as I dont know when/where/how the light comes on, I cant FORCE it on, therefore making a call out to the AA difficult as I cantpredict when its going to happen..

Just to answer your other points, the Car is an ex police car. No other problems known... Have had the car for around 6 months now and just started to do this within the last month or so.

Just some further info, when on less then a quarter tank, the engine has cut out and turne doff completely, but when I turn it back on it seems to be ok. Only seems to happen when less then 1/4 tank.

Thanks for the help btw, appriciate it! Hard to diagnose this when I dont really know whats wrong!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just to answer your other points, the Car is an ex police car. No other problems known... Have had the car for around 6 months now and just started to do this within the last month or so.
    That might explain why they got rid of it at just 40K miles, normally the Police hold on to such vehicles until they are between 70K and 100K miles (or even more)

They probably had the fault diagnosed and costed, then decided to simply dump it

As above, wait until the issue occurs more, and if the warning light comes on phone the AA and have them attend to read the code
    It is possible there is already a stored code, but as I have found after turning the engine on more than 10 times deletes a previously stored code

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI

Engine : 3.0 V6 CDTI

Year : 2007

I had a problem like this, intermittent loss of power and not being able to rev above 3000 rpm, turned out to be a faulty EGR valve.
    Some of the 3.0 V6's that the police had were used as brass cars, used by the top brass instead of the patrol guys, I doubt they would have left a traffic spec car just sat because of a mechanical issue, it would have been cheaper to fix this car than to either replace it or have a traffic car team just sat about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well I think you should go and get the code read and see what it says. There must be someone on here near you location would be glad to do it for you. Put the code on here and I will look and see what its.

Thread Information