User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: declaring a cat D to insurance co..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra and a Signum

Trim : top of the line in both

Engine : Z18XE,Z19DTH,Z20NET

Year : 2006

Question declaring a cat D to insurance co..

Do you need to tell the insurance company if a car has been a Cat D, do they HPI check it anyway to see what the the details are?

My wife's current insurance company when asked said they do not insure Cat C or D vehicles. So I guess they did need to know because if i did not tell them and they later checked it out when she needed to make claim they could then weasel their way out of paying.

I remember in the past when i imported a GT4 from Yokohama and tesco insurance were happy to take the premium but when i needed to make a claim they told me it could be stolen from Japan and that I needed to get info from Toyota UK who would need to ask Toyota Japan and the Jap police to prove it was not stolen. None of that info was required at the time of my taking out the policy though. Naturally i told them to do one and contacted the insurance ombudsman who said they were acting fraudulently and had to pay for the check themselves and yet as they took my premium would still have to pay out anyway.. they did the checks, it was not stolen and they had to pay even more due to my expense claims over the extended period, dicks.

Basically i know they will try to get out of paying if they can find a hole in the info you have provided or the vehicle. My insurance company will insure her car without any issues, i did mention it was a Cat D as well.

does anybody know the fine print on this, there must be some members that work for insurance companies on here...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : sri 150

Engine : 1.9 cdti

Year : 2007

they will no it has been written off they did with my old galaxy(i did not know when i got it ) but cat d is the lowest form of write off

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI

Engine : 3.0 V6 CDTI

Year : 2007

Basically they will not pay insure Cat C or D cars because at some point an insurance company will have already paid out on it.
    If you have the car repaired properly (no offence intended mate) and have a VIC test done this removes it from the write off register I believe. It can then be insured.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

No.Once car was written off it will stay like that.VIC check is only required if the car is Cat C.My Vectra is Cat D and none of the insurance companies ever asked about it.Once car is fixed,taxed and pass MoT it's almost normal car like any other.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra and a Signum

Trim : top of the line in both

Engine : Z18XE,Z19DTH,Z20NET

Year : 2006

Quote Originally Posted by pz_szczecin View Post
    No.Once car was written off it will stay like that.VIC check is only required if the car is Cat C.My Vectra is Cat D and none of the insurance companies ever asked about it.Once car is fixed,taxed and pass MoT it's almost normal car like any other.
    true, i understand all about the C and D differences and that it only needs an MOT as its D (it just needed a new bumper inc paint, impact bar and radiator pack).

Its just that the insurance companies do not ask if its a cat D etc, if we needed to claim they would look for ways to get out of it and then maybe HPI it etc.

I rang a couple last night after doing the ole comparison site search and the firsy few said they will not insure them, i did not ask why but i will be asking this question of the next bunch i shall be calling this morning. As stated though I can insure it no problem I just want to get find out the reasons and t&c behind their reasoning and what they would do if i kept quiet.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The car's insurance history will be known to them from the databases they have. Most insurance companies have no problem with Cat C or D because if they've had their post repair inspection and passed it, they're as good as any other car on the road (probably better than some that only get an annual MOT).

If that insurance company chooses to exclude part of the market, that's it's choice - there are plenty of other ones to choose from.

My Legacy GTB was a Cat D (skidded on diesel in a wet carpark and smashed the bumper, bumper support, headlights, radiator and bonnet). But once it's was MOTed after the repair we had no problems insuring it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If it was me mate i would tell them, and ask them to have this visible on the certificate, then there shouldnt be any issues if you did have to make a claim ?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When you claim, they won't do a HPI check, as the insurers are the ones who provide HPI with the lists of written off cars in the first place, they have their own database. If they pay out, they'll pay out less than for a normal car, but if you javen't told them it was a catD they might use it as an excuse not to pay anything.

Thread Information