Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thumbs up wiper fault... fixed

this is my first post on here, thought i would share my experience with my wipers parking mid-way through the screen with everyone.

Problem with my wipers was that after finishing wiping the screen the wipers would park themselves halfway in the middle of the windscreen, after doing alot of research mainly through this website and a couple of garages it seemed to me as it was definitely the wiper motor that had gone (parking switch inside the motor) after replacing the motor and the mechanism at the cost of £186 the fault was still there ...

After thinking about this long and hard over night i went back to it in the morning and what i did to eventually fix the problem was...

1. Turn the ignition on and pull the windscreen wiper stalk down to let it do one full turn and let the wipers park themselves were they think the parking position is.
    2. Take a picture of where they have parked themselves.
    3. Remove Wiper Arms
    4. Remove Scuttle Panel (i think this is what its called it's that long black/grey panel that goes all the way along the bottom of the windscreen)
    5. Remove bolt that hold's the mechanism to the wiper motor and lift the linkage of the motor so that if the motor was to turn the mechanism would not turn.
    6. Turn ignition back on and again pull windscreen wiper stalk down to allow the motor to do one full turn (without moving the mechanism.
    7. Put one of the windscreen wiper arms back on in the exactly same position it had parked itself before using the picture that you had taken previously as a guide). This will in effect move the mechanism to the parking position without moving the motor which is already in its parking position.
    8. Tighten mechanism linkage back onto motor without moving either mechanism or motor...
    9. This should fix you problem and everything should be back to normal.

I'm not sure if this has been posted before or not but i hope this helps someone

Oh and this website is greatttt!! keep up the good work guys

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

nice easy fix will have to remember this one if mine ever go pear shaped
    should of took some pics as this would of been a good how 2 fix in the how 2 section
    shame you couldnt take the part back off and see if you could return it to save you £186

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 57 zafira 1.9 cdti design

Trim : design

Engine : 1.9 cdti

Year : 2008

good tip!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm having the wiper only working on fast problem. I recently did some work on the car (egr, throttle body and fmic install) and disconnected the battery to clear warning lights. When everything was reconnected the front wipers only worked on fast, so I'll try this and alert all to of the outcome.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Fantastic - this problem just happened to me 2 nights ago (wife just in hospital near giving birth and wipers start to play up - just what you need)

Will try it out later.
    Many thanks for posting.

I take it point 7 should be
    Now move the mechanism to the parking position without moving the motor ..... as opposed to
    This will in effect move the .....
    Last edited by mxt; 6th December 2011 at 11:26.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just been outside to do it.
    Fantastic - it worked.

(Sorry not enought time to take photos for how 2 - got to go to hospital - could be a Dad in the next 24 hours!)

I initially (wrongly) thought...
    1. the motor drive shaft would be have a spline where it fixed to the mechanism but it is just a smooth shaft so that was really easy to do.
    2. that I would have to raise the mechanism off the motor spline to rotate the wiper to park but no need.
    So Happy now!

Many thanks fot the tip - good write up and just in time too.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Can anyone kindly clarify this fix for me, maybe mxt who managed to follow??

I beleive my linkage to motor connection has slipped due to operating when blades were frozen to screen.... resulting in parking mid screen.

After searching through the zillion identical threads created where the intermittent fails/fast wipe fails>bad earth>great how 2 developed>jobs a good one... I think this is the answer to my problem as all other functions are AOK.

BUT, I am struggling to get me head round this fix as it reads to me that:

You diconnect linkage from motor, operate 1 turn of the motor resulting in it returning to exactly the same position it was already in before disconnecting, then reassemble the linkage to motor exactly how it was taken apart... I cant see how it would be any different, as nothing has moved in relation to anything else?

Should Step 7 read:

7. Put one of the windscreen wiper arms back on in the exactly same position it had parked itself before using the picture that you had taken previously as a guide. Then manually return the wiper driving the connected linkage mechanism to the parking position without moving the motor which is already in its parking position. ????

I think this is pretty much what you initially thought mxt, just your follow up post cast doubt as you say you "wrongly" thought....

Any advice would be appreciated as I dont wanna totally balls it resulting in blades over-riding top or bottom. Cheers

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoCally:( View Post
    Can anyone kindly clarify this fix for me, maybe mxt who managed to follow??

I beleive my linkage to motor connection has slipped due to operating when blades were frozen to screen.... resulting in parking mid screen.

After searching through the zillion identical threads created where the intermittent fails/fast wipe fails>bad earth>great how 2 developed>jobs a good one... I think this is the answer to my problem as all other functions are AOK.

BUT, I am struggling to get me head round this fix as it reads to me that:

You diconnect linkage from motor, operate 1 turn of the motor resulting in it returning to exactly the same position it was already in before disconnecting, then reassemble the linkage to motor exactly how it was taken apart... I cant see how it would be any different, as nothing has moved in relation to anything else?

Should Step 7 read:

7. Put one of the windscreen wiper arms back on in the exactly same position it had parked itself before using the picture that you had taken previously as a guide. Then manually return the wiper driving the connected linkage mechanism to the parking position without moving the motor which is already in its parking position. ????

I think this is pretty much what you initially thought mxt, just your follow up post cast doubt as you say you "wrongly" thought....

Any advice would be appreciated as I dont wanna totally balls it resulting in blades over-riding top or bottom. Cheers

How wierds that, that this post came up, just today my wipers decide to park them selves mid windscreen, gona give this ago at weekend

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Your pretty much spot on NoMoreCally... don't think I worded it in the best possible way :S

step 7 should ready something like; put the wiper arms back on the way they parked themselves in the same position it parks itself when the wiper stalk is released... (the picture thing comes in handy)... dont connect the linkage back to the motor as this will move the motor aswell... so all your moving is the mechanism.. push the wiper arms down with the linkage disconnected, then reconnect the linkage to the motor and put everything back together and problem should be sorted... your in tyneside so you can't be that far from me... so if you need any help give me a shout and i can give you a hand
    Hope this helps

Hope this helps.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

looking at that post it still looks kinda misleading :S lol i'm struggling to word it correctly :\ lol let me know if you need a hand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information