Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default SRi rear camber

Hi all,

I've got an '03 Sri' and just wondered if anyone had noticed the rear camber on the car?

If you look at the car from the rear, my rear wheels(& tyres) do not sit square, they are slightly further 'in' at the top than the bottom, well quite a bit in fact. I think this is called the camber?

I only ask, because at the service, the bloke noted that the inside of the rear tyres was wearing more than the middle/outside, which I assume is cause by the fact that most of the weight of the car will be on this part of the tyre because of the camber.

G

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

They are all like that apparently, and it gets worse if you lower it. A lot of people have a problem with the tyre wear, design fault I reckon tho some are worse than others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've had a few Vauxhall's and they have all been the same, and it does get worse if you lower them.

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by wrightgj
    If you look at the car from the rear, my rear wheels(& tyres) do not sit square, they are slightly further 'in' at the top than the bottom, well quite a bit in fact. I think this is called the camber?
    That's normal, it is meant to be like that. If they were straight then the car wouldn't handle as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightgj
    I only ask, because at the service, the bloke noted that the inside of the rear tyres was wearing more than the middle/outside, which I assume is cause by the fact that most of the weight of the car will be on this part of the tyre because of the camber.
    That will be because your tracking is out, not because of the camber. When I had my Irsmcher suspension added, I was asking questions about tracking/camber etc and was told that on the Vec C/Signum the camber is actually adjustable - it's set in one position by the mechanical components. No adjustment therefore means that it can't go out. The only way would be if you had a smack on the rear wheels and actually bent/damaged something.

I've had mine lowered 30mm and the camber on the rear did appear to be more pronounced (but it may have just been a visual thing), but I haven't noticed any uneven tyre wear or increased tyre wear. If you're getting uneven tyre wear, front or rear, in most cases it's down to alignment.

HTH

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The camber and tracking on the rear suspension is adjustable on the Vectra C.

I have had problems with mine, I had Vauxhalls engineers out at my dealer, as you know I so loads of miles and was wearing through a pair of rear tyres in 17,000 miles.

Mine has been set so the rear wheels are as far outwards at the top but staying within tolerance, hoping this will cure it. But all vectra C's will suffer from this. As I swapped the wheels and tyres around, I have not yet found whether these adjustments have solvd the problem, once my new tyres are on I will see how it goes.

But short of admitting it is a design issue, even Vauxhall are unsure whether mine is cured.

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    The camber and tracking on the rear suspension is adjustable on the Vectra C.

I have had problems with mine, I had Vauxhalls engineers out at my dealer, as you know I so loads of miles and was wearing through a pair of rear tyres in 17,000 miles.

Mine has been set so the rear wheels are as far outwards at the top but staying within tolerance, hoping this will cure it. But all vectra C's will suffer from this. As I swapped the wheels and tyres around, I have not yet found whether these adjustments have solvd the problem, once my new tyres are on I will see how it goes.

But short of admitting it is a design issue, even Vauxhall are unsure whether mine is cured.

Your a brave man testing the theory with 19`s !! Hope you are sorted ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The way I look at it is this, 18's or 19's it will eat the tyres if the camber is still wrong, but as both the 18" and 19" tyres are priced about the same, I am in a no worse position than before.

Thread Information