User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No turbo, no warnings, no limp mode, but only happened once??

Admin & Server Techy Ian-Highlander's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default No turbo, no warnings, no limp mode, but only happened once??

On the way up to Bruntingthorpe on Sunday and had been toodling along quite happily at up to 60/70mph with no issues. Went to accelerate hard to get past someone and it just didn't go at all. Tried a few times and realised the boost guage wasn't moving above zero and no matter what gear I was in, the turbo just wasn't spooling.

I panicked, pulled straight over thinking I'd blown the turbo wondering why I didn't have huge clouds of smoke out the back and no warning lights had come on. Turned the engine off and popped the bonnet and could hear very loud ticking (heat presumably) and what sounded like water/oil boiling loudly (bubbling away) coming from the turbo.

I assumed the turbo had died and was about to call Martin to say we couldn't make it to Bruntingthorpe and try and limp the car home again. Started the car, it started fine, pulled away, turbo kicked in fine, tried a few tests and it was boosting normally right up to 1.1bar, full power there, no different to normal to drive. We decided to continue our journey and got there with no further issues and indeed ended up thrashing the guts out of the car round the race track for four laps in the late afternoon and drove back home again with no issues.

It's not done this before or since, so any ideas what it could be? I was wondering if perhaps there was a blockage in the oil pipe that made it over-heat and the ECU shut it off to protect it and that's now cleared or something, but can't think of anything and as I say it's been 100% since. Just a little nagging doubt in my mind that it's going to do it again though. No warning lights, no limp home mode, car drove normally but with no boost at all on the turbo.

Any thoughts?
    "Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but nobody else notices"
    Maptun Tuned 2.0T Estate - click HERE for mods list.
    Brentwood 2012: Winner, Saturday Show. Hull 2012: Winner, Best Estate. Hull 2013: Winner, Best Estate & Runner Up, Best I.C.E

Now Gone, bring on the Insignia (now "Teapot" Tuned)...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had something like this on my Vectra, went to over take someone and not much happend other than the sound of an old non turbo diesel

I could hear the turbo wasn't spooling, thinking oCrap!!. stopped , restarted the car and back to normal,,??

Nothing before or warning lights or after, took it in to the garage and they said no faults or issues ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ECU's don't have thermal cut offs - to my knowledge; but what you describe sounds like the early stages of a throttle body issue. The plate could be closing over inhibiting power - and ultimate it won't really give you smoke nor limp mode. It happened on my CDTI and it was eactly what it felt like as iof something was restraining the engine. Turned out the throttle flap was closing over and in severe cases shutting the engine off.
    Insignia VX-Line Nav CDTI 170.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds very similar to a detection of over boost tbh. Have you tried reading the codes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's really weird, as I say I hadn't been giving it any beans at all, that's why I hadn't noticed it, to be honest the turbo probably wasnt spooling from the start of the journey, I just hadnt noticed because I was taking it so easy. No way was it going to be over-boost because I just hadn't given it anything at all at any point in that journey. Considering the way I normally drive if I was going to get over-boost it would be normally lol.

Throttle body issue? Hmm, worth checking I guess, but as I say it was running perfectly well and normally just the turbo was effectively not spinning up at all. The boost guage was measuring normal vaccuum until I tried to put my foot down and then it went to zero instead of zipping up the boost scale as it normally would do and nothing else happened. It was weird.

I don't have a code reader actually, must get one. The Maptun PPC has one on it but I don't think it works on Vauxhalls. Might try it later just in case lol
    "Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but nobody else notices"
    Brentwood 2012: Winner, Saturday Show. Hull 2012: Winner, Best Estate. Hull 2013: Winner, Best Estate & Runner Up, Best I.C.E

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely want to make sure everything is ok as I've just been talking to Neo Brothers about taking this to stage 5 or higher, pricing it out I reckon I can take this to around the 300bhp mark for just under two grand. Been told to hang on though as there's some new stuff in the pipeline, Nick will be making announcements on here soon about it.

Need everything else running perfect first though lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way you've described it thats exactly the same as what happens to the dti. You can be driving along normally and then when you plant the foot the spanner light comes on and it jumps into limp home mode

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like the makings of the recirc Diaphram starting to wear ... then dropping boost

this is what mine used to do on the old 2.0T when it became more prevalent it happend when you didnt want it to ... i.e. halfway through an overtake manouver ..

the first time it does it ... it wont store a fault code .. the second time it should do

keep me posted

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno - the excuses you come up with the try and beat a 1.9....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold101 View Post
    I dunno - the excuses you come up with the try and beat a 1.9....

At least my brakes stop me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information