Thread: Fitted a Oil Catch Tank for DTI

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Fitted a Oil Catch Tank for DTI

After recently doing my Inlet Manfold clean with Vectra Forever I decided that there must be a way to reduce the amount of soot and oil mixing in the Manifold. Thanks to VF he semi-blanked my EGR. The next step was to reduce the amount of oil vapour going in there so after seeing a few threads about catch tanks but none for the DTI i'd give it a go.

Space for the tank was the main issue. I found the best place was on the battery box and as low as I could get it. Ideally it needs to be lower than the outlet on the rocker cover so if the oil condenses in the silicone hose then it'll run into the tank. I've attached the tanks with 2x 6mm bolts and wing nuts so can easily be removed for draining.

For the returning ventilation I ran a silicone hose from the catch tank up to the coolant expansion tank and across the bulk head to the induction pipe just before the turbo. I may have to put a heat shield/sleeve over the hose as it gets warm there. its working tolerance is up to 180c so will see how it goes with out but will keep an eye on it. I ran this hose high so if any vapour left can condese and run back down into the catch tank. I thought about venting to atmosphere but as this was an MOT failiure I decided not to.

I bought a couple of 25-16mm reducers with 90 and 45 degree bends to replace the existing brather pipe that was there.I also bought a couple of 90degree joiners. Ideally these would have been silicone ones with a bit of bend in them as the hard plastic ones I have used go 90 degrees quite abrubtly. I'll see how they go and change them if needs be. I also got 3 meters of 16mm silcone hose (not reinforced so it'll flex) and a bag of jubilee clips. The catch tanks was £25 off ebay.

Here are a few pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

looks spot on bud

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

nice work

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

2000 miles later thought I'd have a look in the tank and see how much it was catching:

The dirty connector on the left is the IN and the clean one on the right is OUT. The out is pretty clean and I check the connector further up the hose and it was fairly clean with some oil.

So it does seem to be catching some oil but there is still some getting through. I'll put some metal scourers in the tank for the fumes to condense on.

Thread Information