User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Absolutely brilliant day at Bruntingthorpe (THANKS PENFOLD101)!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Tourer

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTI (160ps)

Year : 2010

Default Absolutely brilliant day at Bruntingthorpe (THANKS PENFOLD101)!

A week or two ago, Amy and I were invited by Martin (Penfold101) to the open day at Bruntingthorpe (today) for all the high speed aircraft taxi runs and displays. Assured that although we'd have to pay the full entrance fee to get in, once in we'd get full "access all areas" and behind the scenes tours.

To say Martin was as good as his word is an understatement, we've had an AMAZING day and although it was a very long, very tiring day by the end of it we've had a brilliant time.

On arriving at Bruntingthorpe we paid our money and sat in the queue waiting to be allowed into the car parks, a quick call to Martin as arranged and he said "I'll come and get you mate and find you somewhere better to park". Sure enough a few minutes later and much to the disgust of some of the other cars in the queue, we were ushered out of the queue and followed him down the taxi way to the "team's area" where they were all having a cup of coffee and a chat before the day started. We were introduced and from that point on were basically treated like one of the team effectively. Martin handed us hi-viz jackets and ear defenders and off we went. Parked the cars up behind the Nimrod and were treated to a complete behind the scenes inside and out tour of the Nimrod and the Victor by Martin.

As the show was about to start we were stood infront of the Nimrod and pretty much stayed there for the entire display on the runway, feeling very much like VIP's. Even given a lift across the runway on one of the tug tractors when we decided to go get some bacon butties in the afternoon.

The various high speed taxi runs were amazing, these are all planes that are no longer in service and most of them are ones that are not seen running anywhere else anymore and having this level of access to them was incredible. There was also a fly past by a Hurricane who did several loops of the airfield.

At the end of the shows after the Nimrod had done it's taxi session we ended up unofficially helping out limiting the number of people that could go in and have a look round to a couple at a time and keeping everyone happy while they waited.

And to top it off at the end of the day after all the "general public" had gone, we hopped into the cockpit of the Nimrod with Martin while it was shunted the full length of the airfield, then got given a lift back down to the other end on the tug tractor again and given permission by the ower of Bruntingthorpe (a very nice man indeed) to thrash our cars round the race track layout at Bruntingthorpe pretty much as we pleased. Four laps doing up to 135mph on the main straight and stupid speed in the corners (I'm no race driver) but what a laugh. One scary moment when Martin completely cooked his brakes and I looked in my mirror as I was turning in at the last bend and saw Martin coming straight at me with smoke pouring out of his front wheels, I had to accelerate hard into the corner to get out of his way in time

Overall, an amazing day, Amy and I both loved it and a massive MASSIVE thanks to Martin for the invite and for keeping good on his promise and giving us the real VIP treatment all day. Thanks fella, it was brilliant.

I took over 1200 pictures, so it's going to take a while to sort through them, but will stick a load up once I've had a chance to sort some out.
    Last edited by Ian-Highlander; 28th August 2011 at 21:36.
    "Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but nobody else notices"
    Maptun Tuned 2.0T Estate - click HERE for mods list.
    Brentwood 2012: Winner, Saturday Show. Hull 2012: Winner, Best Estate. Hull 2013: Winner, Best Estate & Runner Up, Best I.C.E

Now Gone, bring on the Insignia (now "Teapot" Tuned)...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ian-Highlander View Post
    I took over 1200 picture, so it's going to take a while to sort through them, but will stick a load up once I've had a chance to sort some out.
    1200 pictures?? WTF? lol

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
    1200 pictures?? WTF? lol
    1261 to be precise lol. It's going to take me hours to sort them all out. We were so close, I just kept clicking constantly. Not to mention about 20 videos that Amy took on our phones lol.
    "Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but nobody else notices"
    Brentwood 2012: Winner, Saturday Show. Hull 2012: Winner, Best Estate. Hull 2013: Winner, Best Estate & Runner Up, Best I.C.E

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Wow sounds like an awesome day. I'm jelous and sick as a pig! Would have put a downer on it had penfold taken out your lovely motor on the track!!

VIP-Member
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : `

Trim : `

Engine : `

Year : `

Mileage : `

Looking forward to the pics
    "We are not some sort of dictatorship!"

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trying to go through all the planes that did live taxi runs in my head, got pictures of all of them naturally (hundreds in fact lol), but they're currently copying off the memory card.

Comet
    Buccaneers (3 of)
    Iskra
    Hunter
    Canberra
    Jet Provosts (2 of)
    Victor
    Lightning (only one to kick the afterburners in on the taxi run which was awesome)
    Nimrod

Standing behind the Buccaneers as they went to full power was incredible, it nearly knocked several of us off our feet and none of us managed to stay facing it (except Amy who for some insane reason and the fact she was wearing glasses managed to).

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'll put up a load of pics of the planes etc tomorrow once I've had chance to sort through them all, but for now, here's my two favourite girls (in no particular order ) sitting in the shadow of the Nimrod.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : Astra Twin Top

Engine : 1.9cdti

Year : 07

cant wait till you post up the piccies of a very interesting day ........

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    cant wait till you post up the piccies of a very interesting day ........
    I so nearly went to this but decided to go to a local show instead. Looking forward to the Pics.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had dumped them all down onto a USB stick planning to sit and sort them in my breaks and lunch at work etc.

Left the USB stick at home in my blurry eyed haste to get ready to come to work, so it'll have to wait til tonight.

Got some great shots from the quick flick through I did last night, I've just got to pick which ones to put up now lol
    Last edited by Ian-Highlander; 29th August 2011 at 09:01.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information