Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Vec C rear pads and disc change

Hi guys, I have been out all day yesterday replacing the rear discs and pads on my 2005 Vec C 1.9cdti, after i put it all back together I did the correct thing by pumping the brake pedal first then applying the handbrake, to allow for auto adjustment, but the pedal keeps pumping up and the brakes feel really pants, I have taken it for a long drive and when i stopped i noticed that the pads were only contacting on the outside of the disc, approx half a pads width worth, when i changed the pads i wound them in after removing the res cap, but i didnt clamp off the flexi pipe and undo the nipple as i only found out about this AFTER i did it my way!!!! I have been searching the internet and some people are saying the Vec Cs master cylinder seals CANT flip as they are doubled up some say they can be????!!!!!! its all very confusing, and why is the rear brake pads only contacting half a pads width? The car has run out of MOT now so its difficult to drive around to bed the pads in, by the way i also replaced the anti rattle springs as i know on my old Vec B sri if these were misshapen in any way it can cause the caliper to sit incorrectly and pull the pistons further back............

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bigtaf View Post
    Hi guys, I have been out all day yesterday replacing the rear discs and pads on my 2005 Vec C 1.9cdti, after i put it all back together I did the correct thing by pumping the brake pedal first then applying the handbrake, to allow for auto adjustment, but the pedal keeps pumping up and the brakes feel really pants, I have taken it for a long drive and when i stopped i noticed that the pads were only contacting on the outside of the disc, approx half a pads width worth, when i changed the pads i wound them in after removing the res cap, but i didnt clamp off the flexi pipe and undo the nipple as i only found out about this AFTER i did it my way!!!! I have been searching the internet and some people are saying the Vec Cs master cylinder seals CANT flip as they are doubled up some say they can be????!!!!!! its all very confusing, and why is the rear brake pads only contacting half a pads width? The car has run out of MOT now so its difficult to drive around to bed the pads in, by the way i also replaced the anti rattle springs as i know on my old Vec B sri if these were misshapen in any way it can cause the caliper to sit incorrectly and pull the pistons further back............
    I didn't clamp my hoses and my brakes were fine after changing the pads the and discs.

Not sure what you mean about the pads only contacting the discs half a pads width, but if this the case you've either got the wrong pads fitted or you have not fitted something correctly. I would dismantle and check everything you have done. In particular check that the discs have been fitted flush to the hub - you need to give the hubs a good clean with a wire brush to get rid of all the dirt and rust.

Also compare what you have fitted with what you have taken off to make sure it's the same!
    Last edited by dae36; 26th August 2011 at 16:35.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I know exactly what you mean about the full pad not contacting the disk, it's usually down to cheap pads not machined correctly or the pad bending when pushed by the piston; but you need a few miles under your belt before you can be sure, as they may just need to bed in. However, if after 100 or so miles it's still only half the pad touching the disk, then change the pads asap - if it goes on too long then the disk will need to be changed as well, as it won't be flat any more.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Will keep trying to bed them in then, im assuming thats the cause of my pedal pumping up and poor footbrake and handbrake efficiency too?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI hatch

Engine : z19dth

Year : 2006

Mileage : 110000

Quote Originally Posted by bigtaf View Post
    Will keep trying to bed them in then, im assuming thats the cause of my pedal pumping up and poor footbrake and handbrake efficiency too?

Its a while since i did the rears on mine,but i recall that you had to release the self adjusting rod under the handbrake lever for them to adjust properly, after failing MOT on rear brakes I discovered that the plastic lock tab had broken, may be worth checking that area is ok.

HTH

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

cheers all, im not sure where this self adjusting rod is but i will do a bit more research and see how to adjust

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Check out the How To on replacing the handbrake cable, there are photos of the lock tab on their.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

did my pads only, on wednesday. thursday afternoon noticed i had the very same problem. spent yesterday driving around with the handbrake on, to try and wear them into the surface a the discs. today stripped them again and it looks like slowly but shorly the pads are making contact with more of the disc. cleaned and greased them again, refitted and will be keeping an eye on them for the next 40/50 miles. just a badly manufactured set of pads i recon.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 2.2 Direct

Trim : SRI

Engine : YH 2.2 petrol

Year : 2006

Mileage : 85000

done all my discs and pads a week ago using mintex sets, did not release bleed nipple or clamp off pipe, brakes feel good apart from a very sligt squeek on front off side disc every now and again

Thread Information