Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 2.0dti y20dth throttle

2.0litre DTI 16v, 53 plate.
    This is my first post and I would appreciate any help that you can give. Also feel free to correct me if anything I've said is incorrect.
    2 weeks ago, intermittent power loss. The engine would virtually stall & then recover.
    This has only happened 3 times. First after 10miles from cold, second 30miles from cold.
    Recently while driving the car at steady speed the engine seems to have been hunting a little.
    Then another time after being stopped for 10 minutes it wouldn't start correctly. The engine would start, run for 10 secs or so then just choke and stop.
    The butterfly valve on the inlet manifold was suspected. The outlet pipe to the butterfly valve actuator was disconnected from the solenoid closest to the battery. (Please can someone confirm that this is the correct solenoid for the butterfly valve to be connected to). The solenoid where the pipe was removed was taped up to maintain the system vacuum.
    The car then started and ran without any trouble. It was driven home 5miles with no further problems. There was no hunting as felt previously. Effectively the butterfly valve was fully open. Can the car be driven permanently like this? At this time the EML (Engine Management Light) was off.
    My understanding is that the ECU wants the butterfly valve in a certain position according to engine load. It looks at the throttle position sensor and generates a Pulse Width Modulated signal to the solenoid to move the butterfly valve to the correct position.
    Am I correct to suspect the throttle position sensor. How can I prove this and what tests could I do to eliminate other things that it might be?
    Is the throttle position sensor available separately or only as part of a new inlet manifold?
    Many thanks
    Chris
    Last edited by chris70; 23rd August 2011 at 14:34.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum 2.0 DTi

Trim : Elegance/Elite

Engine : 2.0DTi

Year : 2003

Mileage : 73350

Chris have a look on one of my posts in the linked thread there is a company that advertise for refurbed inlet manifolds and tps ,s .If memory serves they are even down your way
    Your right in thinking that you can only get a new tps sensor by buying a new manifold though you can usually save £100 or so by buying from one of the internet sellers i bought mine from autovaux for just over £200
    http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showth...tioning+sensor
    Driving vauxhall,s for 30 + years
    and still loving it

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi Bob

Thanks for the reply. I'll give Autotekelectronics a try - I did try yesterday but I gave them a longer part number which they didn't recognise. Also got some prices for second hand parts from scrapped cars from www.1stchoice.co.uk but don't know if this is a false economy.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throttle

The power output of a diesel engine is controlled by regulating the quantity of fuel that is injected into the cylinder. Because the engines do not need to control air volumes, they lack a butterfly valve in the intake tract. An exception to this generalization is newer diesel engines meeting stricter emissions standards, where a throttle is used to generate intake manifold vacuum, thereby allowing the introduction of exhaust gas (see EGR) to lower combustion temperatures and thereby minimize NOx production.

Does anyone have experience of running the engine with the air inlet butterfly valve fully open all the time as I suggested in my first post?

Thread Information