Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default DPF Blocking Issue - Advice required

I consider myself quite knowledgeable about the DPF and regen on my Vectra (1.9 150), but I am not sure what is wrong with it now and any thoughts advice will be welcome.

Brief History:
    I had issues about a year ago and kept getting p1901-75 error. Replaced DMF/clutch and error appeared to go away. About amonth ago I had front pipe replaced as flexi joint found to be blown. This has now resulted in p1901-75 errors again. I also get an occassional P2279-11 - air leak detected in intake system which I reckon is related and not a coincidence. I have done alot of very big journeys recently, mainly motorway (e.g scot rtn at 1400 miles in 1 week, inc 2 journeys of 500 miles each) and still get p1901-75. Car will do a dynamic regen even with error code and as always this occurs at 100% DPF sat level. Since issues started after flexi replacement car has had 1 forced regen by vx (free!), and done 2 (poss 3 @ 300 miles after forced regen) itself. Car currently booked in for another forced regen at vx tomorrow (again free!)

Some data:
    I use OPCom to monitor DPF sat level and mileage. This appears to be a direct relationship and I am not convinced takes average MPG into consideration. The rate of soot level build up on my recent hols (approx 1000 miles) where average mpg was 45 due to 3 bikes on roof and roof box and full load was same as on my scotland trip earlier in month where mpg was 50. Also just returned from round trip to London (300 miles) where mpg was 60! and soot level accumulation rate still approx 1%/10 miles.

Following is mileage listed agains DPF sat level and points where erorr code was raised or regen occured. Forced regen done by vx at approx 120077. This would have set sat level to 70% so a regen that I did not notice would have occured 300 miles later at 100%.

121217 85 Est Spanner on, on way home from Scotland
    121232 100 Est regen on way home from Scotland
    121274 22
    121639 58
    121707 65 error
    121728 68
    121768 74
    122036 98
    122065 100 regen
    122072 16
    122200 30
    122380 48 122272 - 37% P2279-11 air intake leak detected
    122441 54 Est - Error light on
    122537 62
    122588 66
    122695 77 Est

It would appear from this that DPF is getting blocked sooner each time - 85%, 65% and now 55%. I have considered this could be due to a partial blockage in DPF or car based regen is not completing correctly or diff press sesnsor is wrong.

EGR is 18 months old and still looks very new and was check by vx and found to be OK. I have not check boost (MAP) sensor but will do so tonight. Vaccum pipes at front of engine are all new, though been wondering if vaccum switch (at front of engine and exposed to elements) is to blame (?). I cannot see any leeks in intercooler hoses, but most are hard to get at. As an aside car has a definite whistle when cold, rises and falls with acceleration at low revs - below 2000, only hear once when cold.I do not believe it is an over fueling issue as amount of fuel used against what I have put it seems correct.

If you have got this far - any ideas?
    Last edited by bothyboy; 22nd August 2011 at 12:10.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

In the end I replaced MAP sensor (old one was very clogged up) which made a small change, car ran better particularly when in 3rd around town. I have also replaced turbo vacuum control valve with a good second hand unit, but that appear to have no affect so suspect old unit is OK. Took bumper off and checked intercooler hoses and all seem ok.
    Car was force regened again and since then regened at 100% following that. After regen sat level will have been 70% so just over 300 miles later it regened. It has now got to 82% and blocked again. Note MAP sensor was replace at 64% so if it was at fault it was replace too late to make a difference.

Vx reckon its time for a new DPF and they also suspect temp sensor in DPF as this has been welded in at some point- hence cannot repleace easily. Sympoms do seem to suggest that car dynamic regens are not doing their work and that DPF is not being cleaned correctly, hence there is an accumulation of soot leading to blockage occuring sooner each time.

Any one any thoughts on this or seen similar. Also if anyone has the DPF (postion2) temp sensor for sale I would be interested.

Just manged to get an original VX DPF off Klarius - it was a sample they had for checking - at fraction of VX price so once I have sensor I can replace DPF and see if problems go away - though I suspect they may not!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

sounds like you could have an air leak on the intake system, which will produce too much soot and fill the dpf a lot quicker. best thing is to find a garage with a smoke wizard machine, which pumps smoke that contains dye into the intake system and will show any leak. there are videos on you tube that show how it is done.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : Sri nav

Engine : Z19dth

Year : 2006

Check the EGR valve. If that's not sealing fully you'll be sending more soot to the DPF.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 57 zafira 1.9 cdti design

Trim : design

Engine : 1.9 cdti

Year : 2008

theres a thread on here somewhere about taking the dpf off and jet washing it!..

im sure someone will pop up with the thread soon...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

have you tried and fuel system cleaners? Bg244 for diesel or bg44k for petrol. They say the clean the dpf. Some people here also use cataclean, not sure if it does the dpf though.
    Worth a try!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for ideas. I suspect an air leak too, but as yet have not identified one. Thanks for the smoke wizard info, not come across that. The EGR was replaced over a year ago with a new unit, so now done about 20k. VX tested it recently (when it was in for its regualr regen!) and foudn it to be OK, but perhaps it could do with a clean.

If there is an air leak leading to too much soot, would that explain the blockage occuring sooner following each dynamic regen? I would have thought that in that case it would keep occuring at same pt i.e around 80% - as it does following a forced regen, which I guess is giving the DPF a good clean out.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What's your inlet manifold like? Mine was leaking around the flap pivot points. I sprayed a little soapy water onto them when the engine was running and lots of bubbles appeared.
    Last edited by mally; 11th September 2011 at 07:10. Reason: Add extra info.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the manifold flap pivot point test, I do inspect this regularly to check control rod is on,which it always is and seems secure. I have noticed some oily residure around the povt nearest the battery. Did mention this to Vx tech, but it was just dismissed with some comment about seen worse.

Just looked up smoke wizard tests on you tube, looks like a neat piece of kit. Will enquiry locally to see if can get test done.

Does anyone know expected life of DPF? Car has done 123K now, dec 55 reg, 92K 2 years ago when I got it - ex company car. Or if DPF functionality will deteriorate with long use?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That oily residue may the the source of your problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information