Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default The new omega?

Hi everyone from OZ!

Ive been looking round at cars recently - the new Holden VE Commodore is an impressive vehicle. Not yet had a drive but it looks good if a little conservative. The inside is very much like an updated vectra. Have a look at these links. Holden seems to be getting some good 'slaps on the back' from GM - to the point that they are helping out on US projects. My only thought is that the large car market is shrinking and a lot of investment has gone into this - I wonder if it would have been better going into a nich market vehicle - therefore I expect GM will want to spread it around as much as possible to get their money back?

I wonder if one of these cars will come to the UK?

Basically the cheapest model is called the, wait for it - Omega!

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/...w?modelid=4000

Then there is the Berlina, Calais, Statesman and the Caprice (all based on the same model but the later two are stretched. But I doubt the Caprice's 6L V8 would go down very well in the UK! - Nice car though!

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/...w?modelid=8000

or how about this:
    http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/...y?vehicleid=30

Saw one today as they are out here and it looks like a Audi Q7 from the side!

Talking of Audi's I saw a new TT been driven round the other day!

RichB in 30C degrees Melbourne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by lborob17
    Hi everyone from OZ!

or how about this:
    http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/...y?vehicleid=30

Saw one today as they are out here and it looks like a Audi Q7 from the side!

Thats called the Opel/Vx Antara over here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It was in the Sunday papers a couple of weks ago. Apparently it is due for the UK market. They didn't say that it would replace the omega, but they did point out that it's quicker than an M5, and they expect it to be approx £35k which is £30k cheaper!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

looks like a nice car - and factory option 20 inch wheels ain't bad!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ohhh say it's so, I miss my O on a grand scale, Vecs nice but it's restricted inside, still not 100% adjusted to it, steering wheel doesn't go high enough imo, and no legroom in the rear, times I tell the middle passenger to get their feet off the centre console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The price for the Holden Commodore Omega equates to roughly £14000. How much are we being screwed????

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Gotta remember the Aussies dont get min wage, and a house is about 60k aus dollars, regional pricing, if they asked the eq of £30000 nobody would buy one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The new Commodore is a great looking car but when it comes to a comparison to most euro made cars there are still some shortfalls. In this respect the Vectra still feels (& is) the more solid car. Although, the new Commodore is far better than it was & should rate at least 4 stars for safety. In respect to the quality & feel of some interior materials it is no contest. The Vectra wins. Whilst the Commodore interior looks great it is when you feel the quality of 'some' not all of the material used & weight given to things like the handbreak etc that you immediatey see the difference. For those wanting the new Commodore in the UK, don't panic as it is almost certain to arrive there in some guise. Probably SS sport models & HSV (VXR) models.

There is a downturn in sales of large cars & the Commodore already hasn't sold in the amounts Holden fully & reasonably expected. Blame the cost of fuel. Interstingly, Holden is developing a mid sizer (Holden Torana concept) although they won't admit it.

VV, in regards to house prices, the average price here in Sydney is about A$380000-420000. other states are not as expensive as Sydney but overall IMO you would be looking at A$350000 (GBP140000) average home price in Australia. Also we do have minimum wage (after all we are a top tier fully developed country) but they are reasonably generous. Average wage in Australia is approx A$41000 (GBP16500). Our GST based tax system is set solid at 10%. Income taxes range from 0% (up to A$12000) > 47% (over A$125000). Some here winge about it but is is pretty damn good compared to most other developed countries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well since we have been here we have found the cost of living to be about the same in the UK - not the bargain we were expecting!! - although obviously it depends where you are living!. Some things seem cheap where other things seem expensive so it all seems to balance out to UK levels. However on a recent trip up to Brisbane - it all seemed very cheap!

Driving standard is scary though!! - Ive so far watched two accidents happen!. One guy decided to ignore a stop sign at a x roads so got the front of his bumper removed by a Landrover - could have been much worse! - the landrover suffered a slight scratch on its bumper!! the other one was a full up the backside by someone not concentrating! - all melbourne drivers seem to insist of sitting half a mm off your rear bumper while they engage in phone conversations on their mobile or as I have watched in my mirror 'putting on their face in the morning'!!!

keeps you on your toes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

glad to hear you and C are still enjoying the move...

I remember when you where still trying to decide... no regrets i take it now you're out there??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information