Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default V6 CDTI EML Spanner light

Evening all,

Had my 3.0CDTI vectra (2004) for a few weeks now, and got a problem with it hopefully someone will be able to help.

I get the spanner through the car light on the dashboard it has happened 3 times now, each time i have been doing the same thing, booting it in 4th gear The car then goes into limp mode, if i then stop turn off the ignition for around 30seconds the light clears and normal performance is resumed.

I haven't had the fault codes read yet, any ideas on the likely problem? i am guessing it may be a dodgy sensor.

Your thoughts welcomed
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you're after an answer to your probs by looking in the thread about Question for 3.0 v6cdti lads, then it's nothing to do with a DPF, as preface vec/sig do not have a DPF.

Check anything obviously amiss, like air hoses, fittings (jubilee clips secure / tight) from flexi to rigid (I had one loosen onto the throttle body, another has had a hose split).

Has the car had a service recently? Fuel filter replaced? They like clean filters, but the fuel sytem has no lift pump and failed joints in the fuel system can cause nasty-sounding symptoms / codes, due to air locks in the fuel system.

Check the obvious / what you can see. If nothing amiss, try removing the fuel filter bolt (clean the area round it), with pressure applied with one hand to the top of the filter, fill the filter through the bolt hole with fresh clean fuel and replace the bolt (all the time maintaining pressure on the top of the fuel filter body top, so the seal is maintained). See if the problem disappears. If it does, it's likely you have an air leak in the fuel system causing fuel starvation under load.

If this does nothing, get the codes read & hopefully we can shed some more light on it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by hebblemarine View Post
    If you're after an answer to your probs by looking in the thread about Question for 3.0 v6cdti lads, then it's nothing to do with a DPF, as preface vec/sig do not have a DPF.

Check anything obviously amiss, like air hoses, fittings (jubilee clips secure / tight) from flexi to rigid (I had one loosen onto the throttle body, another has had a hose split).

Has the car had a service recently? Fuel filter replaced? They like clean filters, but the fuel sytem has no lift pump and failed joints in the fuel system can cause nasty-sounding symptoms / codes, due to air locks in the fuel system.

Check the obvious / what you can see. If nothing amiss, try removing the fuel filter bolt (clean the area round it), with pressure applied with one hand to the top of the filter, fill the filter through the bolt hole with fresh clean fuel and replace the bolt (all the time maintaining pressure on the top of the fuel filter body top, so the seal is maintained). See if the problem disappears. If it does, it's likely you have an air leak in the fuel system causing fuel starvation under load.

If this does nothing, get the codes read & hopefully we can shed some more light on it
    Thanks for your response, yes i had figured it doesnt have a DPF so ruled that one out.

The garage serviced it before i collected it (or so they told me), will have a look at hoses etc in the morning and if not will look at the fuel filter.

One final thing, does it have to be a dealer to read the codes or can you buy code readers that work?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by mattsbmw View Post
    One final thing, does it have to be a dealer to read the codes or can you buy code readers that work?
    So long as it is a mechanic that can read and diagnose the fault code

However, back to the symptoms and this is a known issue with this engine
    I've had this a few times and never had a diagnosis
    It does it typically once a month, as it is intermittent I am not doing anything about it
    I find it is more common when the engine is cold or still warming up and from driving on 5th or 6th gear, then looking to accelerate in 3rd gear with large amounts of black smoke
    Once the warning light comes on I then stop, wait up to 5 minutes, then restart
    Repeating the same driving method and there is no smoke

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post

It does it typically once a month, as it is intermittent I am not doing anything about it
    I find it is more common when the engine is cold or still warming up and from driving on 5th or 6th gear, then looking to accelerate in 3rd gear with large amounts of black smoke

Thanks very much for your reply, as i looked in the rear view mirror there was a fair bit of smoke, will go and try it again this morning and see if it reoccurs.

Thanks for the reassurance that it is a known problem.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post

Had same problem with mine. Accelerate, warning light on, stop, turn off engine, wait a few minutes, start car, fine. Would occasionally do the same again, on the same journey. But normally it would wait until next time the engine was cold.

Code turned out to be boost pressure/MAP sensor fault p0105

However, a new MAP sensor didn't fix the fault. Turned out to be faulty turbo! Sticking vanes, apparently (quite a common fault, 'they' say). Hence the black smoke. Luckily, it was still under warranty at the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by diesel dog View Post
    Had same problem with mine. Accelerate, warning light on, stop, turn off engine, wait a few minutes, start car, fine. Would occasionally do the same again, on the same journey. But normally it would wait until next time the engine was cold.

Code turned out to be boost pressure/MAP sensor fault p0105

However, a new MAP sensor didn't fix the fault. Turned out to be faulty turbo! Sticking vanes, apparently (quite a common fault, 'they' say). Hence the black smoke. Luckily, it was still under warranty at the time.

As above, very common on the earlier Y30DTs the actuator or variable vanes sieze up in the turbo. You can strip and clean if your competant with turbos, failing that new turbo im afraid..

Thread Information