User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: V6 CDTI EML Spanner light

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Heanor, Derbyshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default V6 CDTI EML Spanner light

    Evening all,

    Had my 3.0CDTI vectra (2004) for a few weeks now, and got a problem with it hopefully someone will be able to help.

    I get the spanner through the car light on the dashboard it has happened 3 times now, each time i have been doing the same thing, booting it in 4th gear The car then goes into limp mode, if i then stop turn off the ignition for around 30seconds the light clears and normal performance is resumed.

    I haven't had the fault codes read yet, any ideas on the likely problem? i am guessing it may be a dodgy sensor.

    Your thoughts welcomed
    Matt

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Elland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    If you're after an answer to your probs by looking in the thread about Question for 3.0 v6cdti lads, then it's nothing to do with a DPF, as preface vec/sig do not have a DPF.

    Check anything obviously amiss, like air hoses, fittings (jubilee clips secure / tight) from flexi to rigid (I had one loosen onto the throttle body, another has had a hose split).

    Has the car had a service recently? Fuel filter replaced? They like clean filters, but the fuel sytem has no lift pump and failed joints in the fuel system can cause nasty-sounding symptoms / codes, due to air locks in the fuel system.

    Check the obvious / what you can see. If nothing amiss, try removing the fuel filter bolt (clean the area round it), with pressure applied with one hand to the top of the filter, fill the filter through the bolt hole with fresh clean fuel and replace the bolt (all the time maintaining pressure on the top of the fuel filter body top, so the seal is maintained). See if the problem disappears. If it does, it's likely you have an air leak in the fuel system causing fuel starvation under load.

    If this does nothing, get the codes read & hopefully we can shed some more light on it

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Heanor, Derbyshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hebblemarine View Post
    If you're after an answer to your probs by looking in the thread about Question for 3.0 v6cdti lads, then it's nothing to do with a DPF, as preface vec/sig do not have a DPF.

    Check anything obviously amiss, like air hoses, fittings (jubilee clips secure / tight) from flexi to rigid (I had one loosen onto the throttle body, another has had a hose split).

    Has the car had a service recently? Fuel filter replaced? They like clean filters, but the fuel sytem has no lift pump and failed joints in the fuel system can cause nasty-sounding symptoms / codes, due to air locks in the fuel system.

    Check the obvious / what you can see. If nothing amiss, try removing the fuel filter bolt (clean the area round it), with pressure applied with one hand to the top of the filter, fill the filter through the bolt hole with fresh clean fuel and replace the bolt (all the time maintaining pressure on the top of the fuel filter body top, so the seal is maintained). See if the problem disappears. If it does, it's likely you have an air leak in the fuel system causing fuel starvation under load.

    If this does nothing, get the codes read & hopefully we can shed some more light on it
    Thanks for your response, yes i had figured it doesnt have a DPF so ruled that one out.

    The garage serviced it before i collected it (or so they told me), will have a look at hoses etc in the morning and if not will look at the fuel filter.

    One final thing, does it have to be a dealer to read the codes or can you buy code readers that work?

    Thanks for the help, much appreciated

  4. #4
    Regular Member m8internet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cumbernauld, Scotland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattsbmw View Post
    One final thing, does it have to be a dealer to read the codes or can you buy code readers that work?
    So long as it is a mechanic that can read and diagnose the fault code

    However, back to the symptoms and this is a known issue with this engine
    I've had this a few times and never had a diagnosis
    It does it typically once a month, as it is intermittent I am not doing anything about it
    I find it is more common when the engine is cold or still warming up and from driving on 5th or 6th gear, then looking to accelerate in 3rd gear with large amounts of black smoke
    Once the warning light comes on I then stop, wait up to 5 minutes, then restart
    Repeating the same driving method and there is no smoke

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Heanor, Derbyshire
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    So long as it is a mechanic that can read and diagnose the fault code

    However, back to the symptoms and this is a known issue with this engine
    I've had this a few times and never had a diagnosis
    It does it typically once a month, as it is intermittent I am not doing anything about it
    I find it is more common when the engine is cold or still warming up and from driving on 5th or 6th gear, then looking to accelerate in 3rd gear with large amounts of black smoke
    Once the warning light comes on I then stop, wait up to 5 minutes, then restart
    Repeating the same driving method and there is no smoke

    Thanks very much for your reply, as i looked in the rear view mirror there was a fair bit of smoke, will go and try it again this morning and see if it reoccurs.

    Thanks for the reassurance that it is a known problem.

  6. #6
    On a Sabbatical
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    EVERYWHERE
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    So long as it is a mechanic that can read and diagnose the fault code

    However, back to the symptoms and this is a known issue with this engine
    I've had this a few times and never had a diagnosis
    It does it typically once a month, as it is intermittent I am not doing anything about it
    I find it is more common when the engine is cold or still warming up and from driving on 5th or 6th gear, then looking to accelerate in 3rd gear with large amounts of black smoke
    Once the warning light comes on I then stop, wait up to 5 minutes, then restart
    Repeating the same driving method and there is no smoke
    Had same problem with mine. Accelerate, warning light on, stop, turn off engine, wait a few minutes, start car, fine. Would occasionally do the same again, on the same journey. But normally it would wait until next time the engine was cold.

    Code turned out to be boost pressure/MAP sensor fault p0105

    However, a new MAP sensor didn't fix the fault. Turned out to be faulty turbo! Sticking vanes, apparently (quite a common fault, 'they' say). Hence the black smoke. Luckily, it was still under warranty at the time.

  7. #7
    Regular Member alanv6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    weymouth, dorset
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diesel dog View Post
    Had same problem with mine. Accelerate, warning light on, stop, turn off engine, wait a few minutes, start car, fine. Would occasionally do the same again, on the same journey. But normally it would wait until next time the engine was cold.

    Code turned out to be boost pressure/MAP sensor fault p0105

    However, a new MAP sensor didn't fix the fault. Turned out to be faulty turbo! Sticking vanes, apparently (quite a common fault, 'they' say). Hence the black smoke. Luckily, it was still under warranty at the time.

    As above, very common on the earlier Y30DTs the actuator or variable vanes sieze up in the turbo. You can strip and clean if your competant with turbos, failing that new turbo im afraid..

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Can faulty solenoid in EGR cause Spanner light 150 1.9 CDTi
    By rollercoaster63 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th June 2012, 22:32
  2. cdti 120, spanner light.
    By frasedeb in forum Diesel Engine related
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11th June 2010, 06:50
  3. 1.9 CDTi (150) with spanner light...
    By parsco in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 23rd March 2010, 16:09
  4. spanner and car orange light on 3.0 v6 cdti
    By williamM in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 7th December 2009, 16:47
  5. 1.9 CDTI (150) Spanner light
    By djr69uk in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 17th September 2008, 15:44

Visitors found this page by searching for:

vectra cdti eml when cold

vectra spanner light on when accelerating 3.0 cdti

spanner light on vax hall vectra v6 cdti

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •