Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default My Summer Project!

Some of you may have seen this on Detailing World. However, for those that havn't I thought I'ed post it here too!

Sorry for the poor quality of some of the pics. I'm not the best at taking photos and my little Trust camera was far from great when new let alone now its a couple of years old!

Before

This Vectra I bought back in July as a detailing project. The car came in where I work (in the motor trade) and as the directors of the company know I'm a 'Vectra man', it was offered in my direction.

The basic history of this Vectra is:-

Its a Jan 04 53 plate Star silver - 30,000 mile LS with alloys . It was on Vauxhall short term lease until 7 months old when it was supplied by our local dealer under Network Q to its second owner. He kept the servicing up with this dealer until he unfortunately died earlier this year. The car was purchased from the family by the company I work for and I bought it as a project.

Whilst its in pretty good mechanical condition (it should be at these miles) with good history, its obviously never been cared for visually. Here's some before pics. This is the state it arrived in. My guess its been sitting under a tree ever since the previous owner died.

*Please give me 10 mins or so to upload the rest*

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

During

Paintwork

Firstly, removed all the leaves and twigs from the boot shut and under the bonnet. Then using a B&Q metal multi function hose gun, soaked the car well washing away any loose dirt (didn't have a gilmour at this stage and pressure washer was broken). Washed the car twice with Megs GC shampoo and megs lambs wool wash mit. However, with the amount of muck on the car I used two rinse buckets changing the water half way. After this I spent 4 hours claying the whole car with megs mild detailing clay with last touch as a lube (did try a car shampoo/water mix as a lube to start with, but this caused the clay to disintegrate within half a panel). Followed by washing again. This time just the usual two bucket method and dried with poorboys waffle weave towls with a spritz of last touch as a lube. I was then able to see just what state the paint was in. The car was covered in cobwebs (probably car wash) as well as deeper scratches as shown in the pics below. Both front and rear bumper skins had been used as PDC and therefore scuffed and broken. That aside it just looked very flat and lifeless. One of the wheels had been scuffed too.

Paintwork correction was completed over a number of weeks working in sections at a time, with the car being washed before any work was done.

Started by touching in the stone chips. Layering the paint until it became a small 'dome' above the surface. Once dry, I flattened them back using a 3M 268L Finesse-it 9 micron abrasive petals on a 3M Finesse-it hand block . Next up was to replace the damaged front and rear bumper skins with new (an ebay find!). Whilst they were off the car, I cleaned the areas behind with Megs APC. Swapped over the trims from the old bumpers onto the new along with a new set of number plates and re-fitted. Removed badges with a Wurth plastic badge removal tool, removed and cleaned side repeaters and areas behind. Masked up all vulnerable trims in the areas to be worked on that day with 3M masking tape. The grille was also removed and cleaned.

With a rotary that had recently given up the ghost it left me to detail the paint with the PC only. Started by removing the sanding marks and removing/vastly improving deeper scratches with a LC 4" orange pad. Starting with standard Menz IP ( got a fair bit of this, need to use it up before investing in any of the pro range) with only moderate success so upped to Menz PG. The whole car was then attacked with IP on a Wolfgang 6" pad using the slow cut technique. This was followed by menz FP2 on a white Wolfgang pad.

By now I'ed ordered and received a gilmour and a few other new toys.

Using a white polishing LC VC pad I work in Jeffs Acrylic Prime at speed 3 on the PC. Areas not reachable by PC were covered by hand using a German applicator pad. This was topped with two coats at 24 hour intervals of Jeffs Acrylic Jett Trigger sprayed onto and applied using a microfibre applicator. Refitted badges using Wurth 4mm badge tape.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Wheels

Swapped over with a spare set of 18's I have so the car could still be driven I set to work. The scuffed rim I sent off to a mate of mine to be refurbed and the rest I detailed. This must be the 1st time the backs of these wheels have been cleaned in 30k! It took 3 goes with AG wheel cleaner to shift the amount of break dust. Once cleaned I clayed with megs mild detailer clay. Polished the wheel faces with menz IP with a LC orange 4" pad on the PC. Followed by Menz FP2 with a white LC 4" pad. Then by hand using a megs foam applicator 2 coats of Klasse AIO on the whole wheel then finished with 2 coats of Poorboys Wheel Sealant. Tyres dressed with Megs Endurance. The three wheels then stored until ready to put back on the car.

Engine

The engine bay and under side of bonnet was cleaned by hand using Megs APC and old farecla microfibres. Stubborn areas cleaned with AG Engine & Machine Cleaner. Once dry the sound deadening was vacuumed and all other surfaces dressed with Autovalet Engine and Plastic Conditioner by using a trigger spray and buff to finish

Wheel Arches

When the refurbed wheel returned and was detailed to match the rest I was able to clean the arches and re fit the original wheels. To start with each arch was sprayed with APC and hosed to remove all loose dirt. I then sprayed each arch with AG Engine and Machine cleaner, agitated with a wet sponge and rinsed. Repeated again using megs APC. Once dry, I dressed with Autovalet Engine and Plastic conditioner. Refitted wheels

Door Shuts

Sprayed with APC, agitated with an old microfibre cloth and rinsed. Dried with Megs water magnets. The painted areas were then polished with AG SRP. Rubbers dressed with Megs endurance and plastics with AG bumper care.

Exterior trims

Once cleaned with APC and dry all grained plastic trims were dressed with AG bumper care using a megs foam applicator. Excess removed with a microfibre

Smooth plastics dressed with Autovalet Engine & Plastic conditioner using a megs foam applicator and buffed to finish with a microfibre

Exterior rubbers dressed with megs Endurance

Chrome tailgate strip polished with IP on a orange LC 4" pad then repeated with FP2 on a white LC 4" pad with PC.

Front grilles dressed by spraying Autovalet Engine & Plastic conditioner onto the area and buffed with a microfibre. Plastic chrome part of the grille polished with Autovalet super polish.

Glass

Once clean and dry the Exterior of the glass was cleaned with Einszett Glas Polish using a 4" white LC pad on the PC. Followed again by hand. The inside of the glass polished twice with Einszett Glas Polish by hand using megs foam applicators and buffed with a microfibre

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Interior

The whole interior was vacuumed, brushed and vacuumed again. The headlining, dash, door cards, rubber built in foot mat, parcel shelf, sides of boot and pillars cleaned with Autovalet Fabric foam interior cleaner using a spray, agitate with a damp sponge, wipe with a damp piece of Autovalet Newtech cloth and dried with a microfibre method (for delicate areas Ie, radio, speaker grilles etc I sprayed a very small amount of foam cleaner onto a cloth and applied that way). The seats, carpets and rear carpet mats cleaned with AG interior cleaner using a spray, brush with a nail brush, sponge, wipe with Newtech and dried with a microfibre method. The front mats and boot carpet I took to work and wet-vac'ed. All hard plastics I dressed with poorboys natural look. Broken air vent and blown bulb in the centre display also replaced. Once fully dried I re- vacuumed the whole car and used a Megs side lock detail brush on the dash, door cards etc.

I then removed the spare wheel and tools. Cleaned the spare wheel well with megs APC and dressed with Autovalet Engine and plastic conditioner. The wheel has never been used so simply dusted with a side lock brush and dressed with Autovalet Engine and Plastic. Tools also simply dusted down and put back.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Now thats one Clean car!!!

Top effort mate..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

After

Its taken nearly 3 months of work. Most weekends and evenings when it was light were spent working on this Vectra. Here is the end result.

I've also had the 3rd annual service done at Vauxhall, replaced the front tyres (bridgestones to match the rears), proper 4 wheel alignment and a number of other little things done.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this, hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I did actually doing the work!

All thats left is to sell it!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie
    All thats left is to sell it!
    well don't forget to post it on here.. this thread will surely make it sell!!

(Thinks... must tell Dr DJ about this one)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Err...WOW!!!!! Nice one! - and excellent details of what you used and pictures!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie
    Started by touching in the stone chips. Layering the paint until it became a small 'dome' above the surface. Once dry, I flattened them back using a 3M 268L Finesse-it 9 micron abrasive petals on a 3M Finesse-it hand block.
    Tell me more! Where do you get those from? Sounds like it'll be handy for any future stone chips I get.

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    Tell me more! Where do you get those from? Sounds like it'll be handy for any future stone chips I get.

D

I used to have them years ago and forgot all about them until recently. Their proper name is 268L Finesse-it 9 micron abrasive discs, Part No.00127. I got them from a paintwork refinishing shop in Ipswich which are stockists of 3M and farecla products etc. I use them alot especially at work for sanding back local imperfections in paint (scratches, runs, paint sinking, orange peel etc as well as chips). On the Vec being silver although they did flatten the chips back well, a slight colour difference means they are still visible if you look closely. I have had better results with different colours.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That's amazing!

I now know where to bring mine next time I need a good valeting!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information