Thread: petrol or diesel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default petrol or diesel

hi, i'm new to this forum, & don't have a vauxhall yet. currently a mk3 mondeo 130 TDCI. but now looking to change to a vectra, i just can't decide weather or not to go for a petrol or Diesel..bad points for the mondy diesel is a lousey fuel injection system frought with problems ie, injectors always reaching their knock limit then having to re-code or replace[£275 new]...high pressure fuel pump can self destruct, & send all the swarf through the rail & injectors[that'll be £2000+ please, from a main stealers]
    i hate fraud stealers, all they do is hook the diagnostics up, get a few fault codes, scratch their heads, then p**s in the wind and hope for the best
    then the dreaded clutch/dmf failure, did mine last year[£800]..not to mention egr failures, blanked mine off, works a treat..
    so, with that in mind i would think the veccy deisels would be pretty much the same, just depends on weather or not you get a bad un..so i may think along the lines of a petrol, but i really can't make my mind up, had deisels for years now, but if you guys can help me decide, that would be much appreciated...anyway, now i'v bored y'all to tears, i'm off for a cuppa..thanks in advance..

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Year : 06

I have a cdti 150 done 45k on clock 4k in it in month lol and nothing gone wrong mine is a 07 reg and a think has the newer injector as its a diffrent colour loom to like a 06 dmf go on al dervs dad had mondeo and was in garage more than he drove it then went bang lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The 1.9 engine is a good reliable unit. Troubles are associated with emissions systems and the same issues crop up. It won't just be with the VX engine - all makes have similar emissions control systems now. There are all work-arounds for the common problems on this forum and there are a number of preventative measures: map out and blank the EGR, vent the CCV, DPF-off, replace vac pipes. The engine is readily mappable, with 150hp variants easily making 180-190hp without any major other mods.

DTi engines probably feel a bit dated compared to the CDTi, but they are solid and again, common issues have workarounds (vac pipes, EGR, intercooler hose).

V6 diesel (that's mine) gives effortless power delivery and seems a solid unit. Consensus is to leave it alone, as there were some killing fuel pumps after tweaking them... although, this may have been down to poor quality boxes raising the fuel pressure too much. The issue that dogged earlier V6s was suction control valve failure, which, if you leave it to VX, is an expensive part to replace. It's about 5 hours labour + 140ish parts. If mine die, my local tame indie will have the pleasure, as they're running £35/hr labour. Some members will spend more on a set of tyres. I have the manual, and feel that maybe the auto would have been a better choice for this unit.

The 1.8 petrol will probably feel a bit asthmatic if you're used to the midrange punch of a turbodiesel. 2.2 direct have a fair few fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator issues. 2 litre turbo units are tunable and seem strong, but are starting to get thirsty, especially if you use the power. I think the Z20NET is the engine of choice here, but may be wrong. 2.8 turbos also highly tunable, but you will be hit hard in the wallet. I'd imagine the V6 non-turbos are very heavy on the juice.

If you're paying the fuel bills and doing a lot of driving, a doctored 1.9/150 will be a good combination of economy and performance. If you don't do the miles, but want the performance, the petrol turbo could be the way forward...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I got my car before joining this forum. Got an 03 2.2 petrol. Thirsty and slow! If I had been on here before think I would have got the 2.0 turbo petrol or 1.9 150 diesel.
    Lives and learns.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

for me its v6 all the way
    but i do have a soft spot for the z20net 2.0t as they are fun to be in

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thanks for the replies, guys. think i'm gonna head down the diesel route, i like the low down torque they give. think i'll try & find one that's already had the clutch/dmf done, i know it'll be a higher mileage one[around 80-90k], but, then again, some last a lot longer, my mondie went at 139k, so can't really complain about that i just don't want to buy one then have the tell tail bag of spanners noise after a few k

Thread Information