Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Clarksons view on the electric car test

Let's look into the satirical world of Clarkson as he was berated by Nissan over not supporting their Leaf model.

"Last weekend on the television I reviewed the all-electric Nissan Leaf and explained that it wasn't really a viable alternative to conventional petrol or diesel cars. I showed that it's hard to find somewhere where it can be charged and that when you do, the "refuelling" process can take 13 hours.

As a result, the Leaf would take longer to get from London to York than a stagecoach took in the 18th Century. Well Nissan are furious and have spent all week telling anyone who'll listen that Top Gear's test was unfair.

They say that we set out in the morning with the batteries only partially charged and that we drove round and round in Lincoln until eventually — and inevitably — the car spluttered to a halt.

Quite how they know this, I'm not sure. Plainly the car has a tracking device of some kind and how's that legal? Accurate These days, you can go to prison for listening to Sienna Miller making a hair appointment on her mobile phone.

So how is it all right for a Japanese car company to be able to track its customers? No matter. The fact is that Nissan's claims are accurate.

We did set out with only partially charged batteries but this is not relevant.

We didn't want to know how far the car would get on a charge, only what would happen when the charge ran out.

And yes, I did drive round and round in circles. But that's because I was looking for a plug socket. At one point, I even tried to rent a flat for the day.

Of course, at this stage, I'm sure that many people will be saying: "Oh look, there goes Jeremy on his eco crusade again."

So to be seen as even-handed, I have prepared a handy guide to the petrol and diesel cars made by Nissan.

Hopefully, when they've read this they will have a better understanding of what it means to be on the receiving end of a review that really is unfair.

We will start with the Micra. The idea was that this car should have a "human" face and that's brilliant. Except that the face they chose was the village idiot's.

The Micra is a very popular firsttime buy for people who've just passed their test.

There's a good reason for this. People new to the world of cars don't realise that absolutely every other car on the market is better.

Further up the price scale we find the Qashqai. Named by someone who was sneezing at the time, it looks like a tough four-wheeldrive car. But actually, it's just a normal hatchback.

So it's the automotive equivalent of a padded bra. It's writing cheques its innards can't cash.

Nissan also make what they call a sports car. It's the noisy 370Z which is powered by the engine from a Renault van. Still, there is no better way of saying: "I am a dentist and I have recently left my wife."

Then there's the Pixo. It's very cheap but there's a reason for that. It's crap.

My least favourite Nissan is the Juke. Fitted with the wheel arches from a John Deere tractor and wheels that are the size of Polo mints, it looks completely ridiculous. Inside, things are worse because even though this idiotic car is based on a Micra, it is fitted with a read-out that tells you how much G you generate in the bends. Answer: none, usually.

There's only one reason you would ever buy a Juke. Because you had somehow managed to break free from your straitjacket.

Obviously, there is no way that a company which is so committed to the environment would make a big, thirsty off- road car. That would be hypocritical.

But it does. Three in fact. It also makes the GTR, a twin turbocharged, all-wheel-drive giant killer. One of the best cars I've ever driven. The new version is so good that until last week, I was thinking of actually using my own money to buy one.

I liked the idea of all that power and technology wrapped up in a totally reliable package. Because that's the thing about Nissan.

You can say what you like about their cars but the people who build them are really very good. Sadly, though, I was filming a GTR this week. And it went wrong.

So there we are. A totally unfair review of the company's cars. Unlike the review I did on the Leaf last weekend.

Which, despite what they say, was completely accurate."
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Lada

Trim : Riva

Engine : 6.0 V12

Year : 1954

Mileage : 567890987

Read that, as he said it wasnt an endurance test but a test on how easy it would be to recharge.

I, myself, don't have a drive way but park on off road parking within 10m of my back gate. However any cable would be stretched across a public right on way/path leaving it wide open to a trip hazard, risk off vandalism or theft, making it pretty much unsuitable for me. Plus there is the laughable Ecologically side of things to electric cars. 99% of electricity comes from non renewable sources, so how can it be called green motoring?
    As he said else where, i'll be sticking to petrol cars....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hydrogen is the way forward imo
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : saab 95

Engine : 2.3t

Year : 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post
    agreed

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Bmw 330d

Trim : Msport

Engine : 3.0d

Year : 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post
    As above electric is a good idea but not the best

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

JC is a legend, reading the above cracked me up, especially the part where he describes the Nissan Jukes wheel arches "My least favourite Nissan is the Juke. Fitted with the wheel arches from a John Deere tractor"

Electric isn't a bad idea but I think there's better, there's going to have to be!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : sri 150

Engine : 1.9 cdti

Year : 2007

i have to say the duke is one ugly car looks like a frog

spoons

I'd like to see one of the Nissan executives take their mobile phone out for the day with a battery that only lasts until lunchtime... and provide no charger.

Its the same thing with any electrical device. If you cant easily & quickly restore the power to continue with your task, its completely useless.

I agree with JC. Eventually people will be running out of power all over the place, especially in queued traffic (like in rush hour) etc. Its a liability.

They must find a way to keep the car moving when the electric runs out

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Forget about all the charging nonsense as that's old news, they have been like that all the time - 13hrs for a recharge, still?

No there is a more prominent issue I take with those cars - the the ****** price. Seriously sitting around the £30k mark. No, I'll stick to petrol/diesel. Cheaper to by and more thrills per £££.

The whole electric thing is a joke unless there is a way of either of charging the battery whilst on the move or there is a quick charge cycle - say less than the life of a small insect.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

did clarkson state on his "review" that it was not fully charged ? (its an entertainment programme, does anyone take them seriously anymore?, I stopped watching it a while back when Hammond & the slow one could not get the blatent on-cue scripted jokes right) If not then Im with Nissan on this...im not a fan of the over-priced electric car, but if he cant be bothered to tell the facts, and then say its not relevant...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information