User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Chugging, spanner, power loss, no fan?? Help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Chugging, spanner, power loss, no fan?? Help?

Can anyone tell me if this is one or multiple faults please? I have a '53 3.0CDTi Auto Signum sometimes in traffic the spanner light comes on and I'm sure I used to hear a fan kick in when it got hot but now I can't and in this situation there is still boost whilst the spanner light is on. If I turn the engine off for a minute then restart, the spanner light is gone and all is ok again.

However, recently whilst hoofing it in an overtake, the spanner light came on and loss of boost happened (very embarrassing!!!) but again, I pulled over, switched off for a minute and spanner gone, boost ok?? Is it fan/cooling related? injector? EGR? boost sensor? or all of the above??

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh yeah and on part throttle whilst driving (and idling in gear in traffic) the car is kind of chugging/lurching if you know what I mean?
    Last edited by dogstar; 3rd August 2011 at 12:01. Reason: Forgot to mention

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The fans are really quiet - on mine I can barely hear it and notice the temp come down, not the fan running. Let it idle and the fan should cut in at 90, or just a gnats' over.

I think the engine reduces power if it gets too hot, or maybe if the ECU knows the fan is inoperative. You will soon find out if the fan works by leaving it idling...

Need to have the code(s) read to make some inroads as to what's going on - could be something fairly benign (I had a leak in the fuel system that caused scary codes like 'injection system failure'), or something nastier.

The obvious things to check - inlet hoses are all intact and clamps secure (I had one come loose on the throttle body) check for signs of fuel leakage at the quick release joints (fuel filter and there are 3 just above the cambelt cover).

Without knowing the codes, it's mostly guess work, as several faults could cause similar symptoms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

On the DTI's and 1.9s there are vacuum pipes. If these are perished then it would cause the symptoms you describe but as I don't kno anything about the 3.0 diesel I don't know if they have them! Check out the threads in my sig and see if you have similar pipes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

They do have vac pipes and it's easy to follow them with the plastic engine cover off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I think a mechanic once told me there is a vac pipe or something like that under the front spoiler on this and as the car is lowered and I keep catching the spoiler everytime I pull up to a curb, there might be some damage there?

I'll check it out. Would that randomly stop the turbo from working though if it works again after a switch off for just one min?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The later Z30DT has a servo to operate the turbo VNT - no vac pipes there AFAIK. Assume the Y30 is the same. Essentially they're the same engine, the Z is Euro 4 emmissions.

Probably what is happening is that some parameter is outside of some set limit and/ or a component is not functioning correctly: the car then goes into limp mode, but without knowing what the car thinks is wrong, it's hard to offer much more help. Once the engine is shut down and restarted, this parameter remains inside the limit and the engine works OK (although there would be a fault code recorded, even if the spanner light does not reappear).

It may even need live data recording whilst the car is being driven, especially if the fault is easily reproducable.

That was how I ended up sorting my fuel leak / air in fuel problem... Well it was (for me) that or the bleeping suction control valves!

Thread Information