Thread: V6 Diesel reliability

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default V6 Diesel reliability

Im really unsure which Vectra to go for as I want a comprimise of performance, econony & reliability and having read some of the issues on my initial choice (SRi 150 diesel 1.9) am now looking at other models. Which brings me onto the v6 diesel, how is it for reliability and what common problems are there?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

What sort of age are you looking for, the 57 plate onwards 1.9's were much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ditto!

What's your budget, etc?

From reading the forum troubleshooting sections, the same issues crop up with the 1.9 and these are swirl bar (improved on later models) and EGR fouling issues. Earlier ones have 3rd injector wiring cropping up, but this is an easy work-round. All problems have well documented fixes. If you are buying a recent low mileage model, you can take preventative steps to easily stop the fouling: CCV vent and blank the EGR plus map it out.

These issues don't crop up with the V6, although it does have the same emissions control systems, so the manifolds are getting nicely coked with sooty oil... Maybe this will rear its' head later than it does with the 1.9.

You will be able to take your pick of the 1.9s out of the adverts, but the V6 will be a choice of 20-odd for sale (company car tax killed it, I guess?).

The V6 seems a reliable unit, but it is a complicated engine and repairs, coupled with a garage that does not know the engine, could soon eat money. Although this is true for most modern cars...

Earlier V6's did have some issues with SCV failure - some will have been fixed, some will have uprated ones - field remedy 1957 "Countermeasures were implemented with engine number 69692 (01.09.2006)". If you have a tame trustworthy garage, it's not the end of the world to have to replace the SCVs. If you take it to VX, take a pot of vaseline, as always!

Expect around 35mpg from the V6 in mixed mode driving. Add another 8-10 for motorway + cruise control + sensible speeds. I guess the 1.9i should be averaging around 45 in mixed driving. The V6 is deceptively quick, gathering pace without any fuss or effort, despite it's relative low state of tune, but bear in mind that tuning is at your own risk, as you're at the torque limit of the gearbox, whereas the 1.9 can easily be coaxed to similar bhp as the V6 and save you a bit on fuel, to boot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've just bought a 57 plate 1.9cdti and it's great! I was originally looking for a 3.0V6 but there are so few around I was worried I'd end up buying a money pit! The 1.9 is a lovely cruiser but when you hit the happy pedal it's a real monster! Can't wait to afford a remap and see what it can really do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave1701 View Post
    I've just bought a 57 plate 1.9cdti and it's great! I was originally looking for a 3.0V6 but there are so few around I was worried I'd end up buying a money pit! The 1.9 is a lovely cruiser but when you hit the happy pedal it's a real monster! Can't wait to afford a remap and see what it can really do!
    After worrying about buying a money pit you bought a 1.9 150?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

But the 57 plate 1.9cdtis don't suffer with as many of the issues as the earlier models. Its just the DMF but then that isn't a 1.9cdti specific problem!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thumbs up

But the 57 plate 1.9cdtis don't suffer with as many of the issues as the earlier models. Its just the DMF but then that isn't a 1.9cdti specific problem!

and the problems are well documented and so are the fixes and so are the preventative steps if you get a low mileage one

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've got a 04 V6 CDTi, now done 65k and it has never missed a beat. I stick the GM fully synthetic in it and do the filters every year. Fantastic cars, if you can find one, and I average 47mpg, though I'm taking my time but when you floor them they go like the proverbial. Isuzu supply the engines, maybe that's why they're good! If I could find another SRi spec manual with low miles and a bit younger I would get it in a flash. A brilliant big bus ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The 1.9 suffers from all the normal probs right up until the end of production. The so called modified manifolds still fail and so do DMFs.

Thread Information