Thread: 2.2dti starting prob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 2.2dti starting prob

Im having intermittant starting probs with this Signum. Just 80k miles, recently had some prob with EGR (a good clean sorted it), cleaned out the inlet manifold etc.
    I had some initial problems which cleared up great after we drained the fuel tank of something 'dodgy'. Some very dark 'fuel' mixed witha green tinge and vitually black at the bottom?
    Anyhow. It takes a lot of cranking sometimes before it eventually starts so the next thing I suspect is maybe the leak off pipes, anyone else had this problem? Or injector seals? Or fuel seeping back to the tank?
    Diagnostic shows no faults logged.

Fuel tank was cleaned and fuel filter changed btw

Thanks

Admin & Membership Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia

Trim : irmscher

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2009

I would change leakoffs first as it's fairy cheap for bits and see if that helps, I had a problem with my old DTI but it was when car didn't use glow plugs eg: temp above 8 degrees or when car was warm after being left for an hour.

I changed everything possible but it still cranked and cranked in the end I changed starter motor and battery and she started 1st tine every time

Irmscher Insignia CDTI 130

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ok, done leak off pipes (were all in quite good condition tbh) and changed fuel filter housing.

Still have the problem. Left it a couple of days, start from cold and engine fire's into life quickly, runs a couple of seconds then dies. Then, takes a lot of cranking to get it to re start.

Sounds like air, but any suggestions appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by sigtim View Post
    Ok, done leak off pipes (were all in quite good condition tbh) and changed fuel filter housing.

Still have the problem. Left it a couple of days, start from cold and engine fire's into life quickly, runs a couple of seconds then dies. Then, takes a lot of cranking to get it to re start.

Sounds like air, but any suggestions appreciated
    I can only say it sounds just like my recent problem, I checked everything. It turns out 3 glow plugs were gone and the battery wasn't up to par. new glow plugs and new battery and it starts instantly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Croxley View Post
    I can only say it sounds just like my recent problem, I checked everything. It turns out 3 glow plugs were gone and the battery wasn't up to par. new glow plugs and new battery and it starts instantly.

Did yours start ok from cold then? Like mine. And not firing even though it was cranking ok?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm assuming you changed the fuel filter after you found all that gunge in your tank? The gunge will have been "diesel bugs" and it's worth putting some marine diesel bug killer in the tank every few months to keep them good and dead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

"Diesel bugs"? Thats new to me.

There is other evidence that the previous owner was using something other than diesel as fuel probably illegally, lived pretty much on a farm. Its been suggested that it could have been heating oil with engine oil added, or Green diesel. Either way there were not honest!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Diesel bugs are a big problem in marine diesel maintenance as there is more moisture that gets into the fuel tank. That's what the bugs live on. It sounds like the previous owner may have put in a bit of vegetable oil with the fuel. That kills the bugs and they end up as a black sludge. It looks a bit like soft black rubber. It's a common problem when converting cars to run on veg oil, as I found out with my 4x4. It will choke up a fuel filter in no time at all and give you fuel starvation symptoms.
    A quick visit to a chandlers will get you a can of diesel bug killer and it'll give your tank a good clean out as well as the rest of the system and the injectors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by limpmodeblues View Post
    Diesel bugs are a big problem in marine diesel maintenance as there is more moisture that gets into the fuel tank. That's what the bugs live on. It sounds like the previous owner may have put in a bit of vegetable oil with the fuel. That kills the bugs and they end up as a black sludge. It looks a bit like soft black rubber. It's a common problem when converting cars to run on veg oil, as I found out with my 4x4. It will choke up a fuel filter in no time at all and give you fuel starvation symptoms.
    A quick visit to a chandlers will get you a can of diesel bug killer and it'll give your tank a good clean out as well as the rest of the system and the injectors.

I have already given it a couple of fuel conditioners and 1 x Injector cleaner.
    I'll try your idea. Thanks

interesting info btw

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9CDTi

Year : 2005

Mileage : Lots

Quote Originally Posted by limpmodeblues View Post
    I like this idea. My car ran like crap and eventually died a few months ago because of a blocked fuel filter and it was weird black sludge in the bottom of the fuel filter. I'm the 6th or 7th owner of my car so it wouldn't surprise me if it's had something dodgey through the tank at some point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information