0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Removing swirl flaps.....

What would be the outcome of removing the swirl flaps on a Z22YH,or having them constantly open??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    What would be the outcome of removing the swirl flaps on a Z22YH,or having them constantly open??
    Engine will smoke lower down the rev range. On the 2.2DTi, I'd leave them. They don't give the hassle that they do on the CDTI 150's. Infact removing them from the 2.2DTI, the ECU may even throw a wobbler as it may detect too much airflow at lower rpms.
    Insignia VX-Line Nav CDTI 170.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The car is a 2.2 16v Direct.Petrol.

Long story short,but i unplugged the power to the control module for the swirl flaps (which left them open).When giving it some throttle below 2.5k rpm,the car felt like it was mis-firing.Letting off the throttle stopped it,but if i kept the foot down for long enough (giving it enough time to get up to over 2.5k rpm,the EML would come on and the car would start mis-firing until i switched it off then re-started it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't even know they had them. Rushy is your man with that engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither did i tbh until it a fault code came up in relation to them.

Yeah, i have another thread on the go but he dosn't seem to be any help after saying it was more than likely my fuel pump that was away.

Hope he see's this and gives me some advice as he does seem clued up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    Neither did i tbh until it a fault code came up in relation to them.

Yeah, i have another thread on the go but he dosn't seem to be any help after saying it was more than likely my fuel pump that was away.

Hope he see's this and gives me some advice as he does seem clued up.
    Pm him as he may assume this is a diesel engine. You don't have 2.2direct in the title so he may overlook it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking swirl flaps

I would remove them if i could,

Previously i had a bmw 530d that came with a known swirl flap issue where they broke off and got ingested into the engine/turbo causing damage so many owners removed them and blanked off with a certain size of screw aryldited in to rectify the problem, i did this on mine and then had the piece of mind that it would not hapen to me, again like vauxhall, bmw revised the design of the manifold flaps and it isn't a problem now, after removing i didnt notice any eml lights and it did not show up on scans.

if there was any way of doing this for the veccy as easy i would not hesitate to do it however i think it would mean removing the manifold to get the individual flap out which would not be worth it and you might as well replace the manifold (£159 on ebay as i write)

I have only recently got my 150sri 2005 and find it a good car, the swirl bar on mine had come off and worn so i did the upturned numberplate cap fix with aryldite and it seems to have worked with increased mpg and low end power however i dont know how long it will last as i had vertical movement on the flaps but they were all free and turning ok, prior to the fix the car/spanner light came on/off at will as the flaps moved about with induction flow/acceleration which it seems to have stopped.

is there any way to partly remove the manifold without moving the fuel pump ect to enable the flaps to be removed and the holes plugged.

i have included pics of the bmw swirl flaps so you get an idea of what i mean.

Simon

ps is anyone else not getting emails when someone replies to a post you have replied to/created.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bobsimes View Post

Previously i had a bmw 530d that came with a known swirl flap issue where they broke off and got ingested into the engine/turbo causing damage so many owners removed them and blanked off with a certain size of screw aryldited in to rectify the problem, i did this on mine and then had the piece of mind that it would not hapen to me, again like vauxhall, bmw revised the design of the manifold flaps and it isn't a problem now, after removing i didnt notice any eml lights and it did not show up on scans.

if there was any way of doing this for the veccy as easy i would not hesitate to do it however i think it would mean removing the manifold to get the individual flap out which would not be worth it and you might as well replace the manifold (£159 on ebay as i write)

I have only recently got my 150sri 2005 and find it a good car, the swirl bar on mine had come off and worn so i did the upturned numberplate cap fix with aryldite and it seems to have worked with increased mpg and low end power however i dont know how long it will last as i had vertical movement on the flaps but they were all free and turning ok, prior to the fix the car/spanner light came on/off at will as the flaps moved about with induction flow/acceleration which it seems to have stopped.

is there any way to partly remove the manifold without moving the fuel pump ect to enable the flaps to be removed and the holes plugged.

Simon

ps is anyone else not getting emails when someone replies to a post you have replied to/created.

He is talking about the 2.2 Direct petrol m8, not any diesels. There haven't been any known issues with the petrol - first of which I knew they came on a petrol though. On the CDTI however the only problem is the bearings move up and down allowing boost to escape and in the updated manifold, they simply wear due the Exhaust Gases. There haven't been any reports of CDTI's swallowing the valves. There wear and tear on them is an issue however, not ingestion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have unpluged is and it is complainning at high revs, are you sure it isn't in the closed possition without power? I know with the 1.9CDTI when there is no power to the solenoid it is spring loaded to the open valve possition (unless they have seized) and with power on, as soon as you get to near 2000rpm they open up. I would be surprised if they were close at 2.5K under normal operation, so I think your valves might be in the closed possition, otherwise I can't see why you would get a fault code.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bobsimes View Post

Simon

The manifold can be unbolted and lifted up to gain access to the flaps.I was getting the P1112 code,swirl flaps,so removed the manifold to have a peek.1 of the ball bearing type socket things that sits inside the bar (and the metal rod from the flap sits inside it) was missing.So by manually moving the bar,that flap wasn't opening up with the other 3.The others were open by about 2mm before the affected 1 was opening.But by the time its at around 3k rpm,its fully open with the rest of them and thats when the car pulled fine.Under 3k rpm it felt like it was mis-firing, then sometimes the EML would come on and the car would run lumpy and not rev clean.Just like it was mis-firing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information