Thread: Breakdown cover

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Breakdown cover

Just got a good deal with Greenflag for breakdown cover for two cars.

Sign of the times, I've only noticed recently that they offer (like normal car insurance) a no claims discount for no call outs over the 12 month period. Hmm ....I wonder if will reflect on next years premium if I don't have to use them, as it's always going up in price.

Didn't always be like this, did it?

Mick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

do you mind me asking how much your paying for the cover, and what level of cover?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you took out this offer you would have got free breakdoen cover with home start as well

You can now have an INTERIM Service PLUS a FREE 12 Months Vauxhall Assistance for only £99!

http://www.thurlby.net/vehicle-servicing/
    seams like a good deal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by rjw View Post
    do you mind me asking how much your paying for the cover, and what level of cover?

Recovery plus which also includes personal cover.

That is their next to top cover, I didn't require euro cover which is their top one.

The personal cover is for me driving any car or a passenger in any. I get cover up to recovery plus level.

I choose this cover as I have a second car, a weekend thing really (MX-5)

£94.34

I also went through TOP CASHBACK website so will eventually get £30.30 back, hopefully in around 3 months so £64.30.

Mick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Green Flag invariably use local recovery. So if you broke down hundreds of miles from home, they are usually not keen of bringing you home... I used to be with green flag, then AA - AA much better, but expensive!! (unless you get the VX service deal)

spoons

Quote Originally Posted by chewy71 View Post
    Green Flag invariably use local recovery. So if you broke down hundreds of miles from home, they are usually not keen of bringing you home... I used to be with green flag, then AA - AA much better, but expensive!! (unless you get the VX service deal)
    I was caught by an RAC or AA man at my local Sainsbury's recently with a 'one off' buy me now package on Vehicle Breakdown.

I resisted the Buy Me Now and went home to do some research first.

It turned out that they can charge extra for towing 'modified vehicles' if they cant repair not-standard parts by the roadside.

If you break down far away from home they will only take you to a garage for repair, if the repair can be done in "a reasonable time". So they wont just bring you home. It clearly stated that the recovery service is NOT TO BE USED TO AVOID REPAIR COSTS.

In my mind thats crap, I dont want to be strong armed into a Vauxhall Dealer or other 24/7 garage workshop to have to pay for a new Vectra Turbo or some sort. I'd rather be taken home so I can figure out the best repair option.

So I didnt buy it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Spoons, no garage is going to replace a turbo on a car that's just turned up, unannounced, on the back of an RAC truck though, so a turbo replacement wouldn't qualify as "a repair that can be done in a reasonable time", so the RAC (and AA) would tow you home (or a garage of your choice near your home) anyway.

Another thing to bare in mind is that all recovery companies are NOT the same. Green Flag provide a fundamentally different service to the AA or RAC. The AA/RAC use their own, dedicated (as in they work for no one else) patrols for the majority of call-outs. These people have substantial training, usually come from the motor trade, have a van full of tools, have laptops with them with diagnostic software installed, and if they get stuck with a technical issue they can phone their technicians back at base for advice. Green Flag "patrols" are, literally, tow truck drivers who aren't employed by Green Flag, but act as contractors. They have none of the tools or training I've described above. They usually come equipped with just a screwdriver (to hit the starter motor with), and if, after 5 minutes of sticking their head under the bonnet to look for loose wires or hoses, they can't see the problem, their only resort is to tow you home or to a garage (if you have that level of cover). And when they drop you and your car off at home, your car is still broken, and still needs to be taken to a garage and fixed at your expense.

spoons

Yeah, fair comment but my Girlfriend has breakdown cover so she said just use hers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by spoons View Post
    Yeah, fair comment but my Girlfriend has breakdown cover so she said just use hers
    Do you have to put on a dress by the roadside and pretend to be her though?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ref original post.
    I was in "Mayday" with Greenflag, which basically is The Caravan Club breakdown service. As said it's Greenflag basically, same vehicles that would recover you. Only difference is they ask you if your towing anything before despatching the tow truck.

I've used them whilst being in "Mayday" and was around 100 miles from home. They said your choice, we will tow you home or to a garage of your choice, or get you started. The glow plugs had packed up. I opted for the get me started option as my local garage is only 1 mile away from me.

It was cheaper for me to cancel the "Mayday" cover and go just Greenflag recovery. I don't have a caravan but two cars now.

Mick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information