User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Solar panels anyone had them fitted?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Solar panels anyone had them fitted?

E-on have an offer on that for £99 they will fit solar panels to your house. They say this can reduce your electric bills by upto 40-60%

Anyone taken any energy company up on the offer? My house is the ideal location so been thinking about it for a while

Just wondred what peoples thoughts are?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea and if I owned rather than rented I probably would. Have you read their list of requirements though? It seems pretty specific.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure you read the whole offering. Some places will fit them for next to nothing, as long as they get the money the National Grid would pay you for the surplus electricity you don't use. It would be better if you got that...

Given that they tend to produce most electricity when it's daylight, and given that most people are out of the house at work during the day - hence the house uses very little electricity, it makes a nice little earner for the company, without giving you much benefit at all. OK, so your freezer runs for free during the day, but you're still having to pay for electricity from the grid in the evening when you're in.

If you bought the panels outright, you'd get money from the National Grid for feeding power into it. Which would help pay off the initial cost.

They are a good idea, and do work, but you have to work out why they're offering them for that price, when they cost several thousands of pounds...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are the Government subsidies, and how will E.ON and its partners benefit from it?

They are Feed-in Tariff (FIT) payments, introduced by the Government in April 2010, which are designed to help generate more renewable energy across the UK. Under the Feed-in Tariff scheme, the owner of an approved solar power system will get paid for all of the electricity the solar panels produce. With SolarExchange, by renting your roof, our partners will receive these payments. This is how we’re able to offer the solar panels to you for as little as £99.

Also note - these panels cover a substantial area: 23 m2 of roof is required. The energy can't be stored with these - don't use it, you lose it by the sound of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, only worth it for retired home owners or those who work from home (the quoted maximum possible savings will be for these groups, for sure) -- if you are out to work all day and use most of your electricity after dark, it's unlikely to save you much money at all, as current technology doesn't allow it to be stored

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BE CAREFULL.... HEARED LOADS OFF HORROR STORIES
    My company installs the post for the carry grid. We have seen some very unhappy customers. NOT WITH US!! ill add. ill dig out some info for it with some websites and let you make your own up. They are great for the right situation. but there are loads of factors you need to know about. An example one customer had a £6500 bill for upgrading the Existing wiring to the house to be able to take the load sent back to the grid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work during the day but do get "down days" for working away so could be of beneifit during the day. Also You could set the washing machine and tumble drier to work during the day whilst at work so you do not run it in the evening.

Basically you use what you use and the rest gets fed into the grid from which they make their profit. So what is not being used gets fed to the grid and the company gets the money for it whether the grid uses it or not.

To get the same area would cost me around 10k apparantly and would take around 9 years to re-coup plus the cost to maintain the panels.

I like the idea of being a bit "greener" but also wonder if ti will effect the selling of the property in the future?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You also give them permission to clamber over your house and enter your loft space for 25years, and if you sell the house the contract stays with the house for the 25years. All of this and one or two more things put me off having them fitted to my house. In my opinion, it at first sounds too good to be true. But do go into it with your eyes and ears wide open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't like the idea of renting out the roofspace. buying outright (typically 12 grand) is overall the better option, for the long term. the feed-in tariffs from the government (which e-on would take) far exceed the actual electricity savings in use.
    of the two, i'm preferring wind turbine for homes right now. again, only suitable for some locations but it is less costly than solar panels. buying outright is the only option i'd consider.

Thread Information