OK, yesterday my passenger side wiper stopped working. I remembered the wife's car having the same problem fixed under warranty, but mine is a 55 plate and hence well out of it.
Having looked around the forums I've seen a few mentions of fixing the problem with cable ties / tie wraps but couldn't find any photos. So I thought I'd try to take some pics while I had a go at fixing the linkage.
On opening the bonnet I could just see through the plastic grill covering the linkage that one of the arms had come off.
Pull the rubber sealing strip off up to about half way across the engine bay. Lift up the corner of the plastic cover over the linkage (you'll have to peel back the sticky foam block at the outside end to do this)
Then wedge the cover up with something. Luckily I had a block of scrap wood just the right size.
Now I could see the bottom arm hanging off. Low and behold, pre facelift brown ball and socket joints.
Sprayed some grease into the socket for good measure.
I'd read in another post that there's not much room in there, so I used a special tool (wire coat hanger modified) to lift up the lower arm.
A bit of finger pressure and it clicked back into position. Be careful of the metal edge where the rubber sealing strip was, it's sharp enough to cut.
I had some 200mm x 2.5mm wire ties in the garage, so I bent them a bit to get them over the top of the linkage and come back towards me underneath. The special tool was handy again to coax the ends up to where I could grab them.
I put two cable ties on because this had been mentioned in other posts. I suppose you might get away with one wider one, but it might be more difficult to fit if it isn't very flexible.
I tightened the cables up, but nut really tight. They need to hold the bottom arm on, but also need to be slightly slack to allow for movement of the link arms.
If you start the wipers at this point you'll be able to see the amount of movement there is. I was a bit worried that the wiper arms might catch on the bonnet when it was raised, but they don't.
I just tightened the ties to where they looked as if they weren't under any strain, but they were holding the joint together, then clipped the excess off.
Put the cover and foam block back, refit the sealing strip, and job done. I think it took half an hour including time to take the pics.
I understand there are new link arms available on eBay, but being tight I thought I'd try this quick fix first and see how long it lasts.
Hope this is helpful for someone.