User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem with dealer re air con fault reported before warranty expired but wrong fault dianosed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default problem with dealer re air con fault reported before warranty expired but wrong fault dianosed

hi everyone i have sent my local dealer the following letter , vauxhall have just upped their contribution to 90% but dealer won't contribute the final 10% even though they missed the fault in the first place.

I am writing with regard to the above vehicle. I booked my car into your garage on 18th April 2011 as I had a problem with the air conditioning unit not working. I received a call from yourselves to say that the unit needed a refill. This I took in good faith, although I was not convinced that this was the problem, as we had rarely used the air conditioning, and mentioned this to the garage. They assured me that it just needed topping up, for which I paid £45.00. My car is now three years old with only 20,000 miles on the clock so you may agree that it has had very little use.

After I collected the car from the garage I did not use the air con until we had another period of hot weather in June, when I noticed again that the air con was not working. I phoned your service department who asked me to bring the car back to the garage on 22nd June 2011 so that you could have another look at it. This time I was told that there was a leak on the air conditioning unit. I asked if you could fix this and was told that there would be a £500 charge, which I am not prepared to pay as I was then told that this would have been covered under warranty had it been detected before this expired at the end of May 2011. Your garage contacted Vauxhall to ask what they would be prepared to offer and we were told that this was 50% of the cost. This is something I was still not prepared to accept so I contacted Vauxhall myself on 22nd June 2011 and I have still not received a response.

I believe that a car that has so little mileage on the clock, for its age, would not have needed to have a refill of the air con unit and I believe that a more thorough job and common sense by the service department, would have perhaps come to the conclusion that something was not right and a more detailed inspection should have been done. We are also now the £45.00 out of pocket which was paid to refill the unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

They should have looked for that straight away as it's a common fault

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I actually think you're in the wrong here mate, and should grab the 90% contribution while you can.

You didn't test the air conditioning when you left the garage as you 'assumed' that it had been fixed. Regardless of the mileage on the car it's now 3 years old and if the system hasn't been used then it's liable to develop faults.

There is nothing to say that the car wasn't fixed and has developed another fault with the air conditioning since you picked it up. Now whether or not the garage actually thought they'd fixed it is immaterial really - you don't know is it was fixed originally as you didn't test it yourself, it's now out of warranty so they're not liable for anything at all, and the goodwill gesture of 50% seems generous, and 90% even more so.

Just my opinion, obviously, but it's always worth testing stuff to see if it's been fixed or not...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The original receipt from 18 April should have terms of purchase
    This is normally 12 months for parts and 3 months for labour

The letter you have sent appears to meet this requirement
    You have clearly stated what you want to the retailer, stick with that and don't shift from it

Perfect, you should get what you want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the aircon was working when collected, it appears there is a leak at the top right of the condenser. this leak was i believe there in the first place, after the regas it was easier to diagnose due to the dye in the gas.

my point is it is inconceivable that first i would lose pressure , then get it regassed and lose presure within 500 miles and the leak to have happened since the regas.

vauxhall told me to talk to the dealer about the other 10%

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Based on that information, I'd say you have a case then...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

what i mean is I tested it was working on collection

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by stugga View Post
    what i mean is I tested it was working on collection
    In my experience if you keep pushing they usually give in. I contacted Trading Standards (not sure what they're called now) and when I mentioned this to the garage they eventually gave me a refund (albeit in fuel!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had a similar experience many years ago

Advised by the garage (Rover dealership) that my car needed ABC work
    I obtained a quote and then authorised them to proceed
    Cost me £350

Two weeks later the fault was still there
    They advised it was something else and provided a quote of nearly £1100
    I wrote to their Head Office as the Service Manager and Branch Manager were not interested

I was able to drive the car whilst it had the fault, so let Trading Standards deal with it
    After three weeks received a letter from the dealership claiming I they had not received any complaint from me and declined my claim
    Presented this to Trading Standards
    A week later I received a further letter that they would honour the original payment of £350 towards the additional costs (requoting £710)
    Plus they would give me the next service free
    As the car had just been serviced and the fault had been missed on service I counter offered with £450, which they accepted

As always, when complaining always clearly state what you want

Equally, I had a similar experience with VX
    Again, the original fault is reported and repaired
    If the fault remains then only the difference should be payable
    Equally, if the original repair was under warranty, then any subsequent should also be covered by warranty (typcially under the contribution scheeme)
    This is where the 10% contribution from dealership comes from
    Therefore make it clear to the dealership that a repair was completed to repair a fault which has remained, no further payment should be due

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Cdti 150

Trim : Sri

As penfold said as condensers are not normaly covered by warranty as it's stones that make holes in them and that could have happened between then and now !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information