User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help needed/intermitant fault/evil dealership. Gaaaagh!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Angry Help needed/intermitant fault/evil dealership. Gaaaagh!

Hey guys,
    *a little miffed here so please forgive any ranting and this unfortunate wall of text, but please bare with me my Vaux is ill and I need some help*

I have a 2008 Vectra Estate SRi 150 CDTi. I’m totally new to Vaux ownership and don’t know a great deal about the marque and it is my first diesel. My mean machine has developed an intermitant electrical fault which causes my battery light to illuminate and my power steering light to illuminate (as well as my exhaust emission but not every time), as well as my speedo/rev counter/temp/fuel gauge to all fall to zero and refuse to move when they clearly should not be when driving! The car has failed to start on at least two occasions with a seemingly ‘dead’ battery, only to start a few minutes later after the above symptoms have happened.

With the car still being under warranty (just about) I took it to my local dealer(who shall remain nameless at this point) on the 16/6/11 who did a diagnostic check and told me the alternator wasn’t charging sufficiently and the battery was faulty. These were then changed (after 4 days) and I picked the car up. TBH I did not expect that these were the cause of the problem but thought I would go with it as these are not cheap items to replace nowadays the dealer said they were faulty. FOUR MILES down the road same problems with my dash so I took the car straight back to the dealer (it is now the 20/6/11). The faults were still apparent as I hadn’t turned the car off and a technician saw them all lit/not working. The car was then at the dealership for a further week supposedly being 'tested' and put right. Work apparently carried out was the ECU fault codes were checked and then reset, with no further fault codes appearing. How this takes a week I don’t know…..car supposedly fixed. Next thing I pick the car up yesterday (27/6/11); surprise, surprise EXACT same thing happens and after I phoned the dealer and arrange to drop it off CAR WON’T START AGAIN Getting a bit ****ed at this now but eventually car starts, take it up the dealers. While the car wouldn't start I heard some 'clicking' coming from the boot area, seemingly from the offside light cluster area. Connected to the faults? I don't know but it ain't right.

Now comes the fun part; my car was registered on 25/6/08; that’s right my warranty run out on Saturday gone. Dealership say that they will do another diagnostic check and will keep the car tonight however due to the car being out of warranty I will be liable for the costs unless Vauxhall pay for it.

Surely this can’t be right? The fault was reported BEFORE the end of the warranty, they failed to fix it first time, car comes back in then they keep it for the week (the LAST week of it warranty remember!) give me the car back following Monday car still not fixed and promptly tell me I’m probably liable. Not impressed

And lest we not forget car is still ill. Any ideas?

Thanks for reading
    Paul

EDIT Sorry for the swears' guv'nor!
    Last edited by Midnight Runner; 28th June 2011 at 20:11. Reason: Swear Filter Bypass

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds like the alternator to me matey..... common fault too....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Only thing is it has been replaced the first time it went the dealership, still got the same faults. Should there be a warranty on the new alternator fitted (since it was under a now expired warranty in the first place?)

Cheers

EDIT Sorry I have just noticed that I have posted this in the modifying section, meant to be in the troubleshooting could a mod please move it. Apologies!
    Last edited by Midnight Runner; 28th June 2011 at 20:14. Reason: i'm a numpty

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

A bit happier today guys as Vauxhall have agreed to foot the bill. They seem to think it is an ecu problem that it is not taliking to itself properly; it came back with 16 fault codes which were reading 'not present' so hopefully will make some headway so we shall see.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : CDTI 150 (Z19 DTH)

Year : 2006

Mileage : 140000

So they should foot the bill as well, the warranty expired while sitting in their garage with a fault, they need a good slapping. Glad they are paying for it and hope they fix it this time

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i blame the can bus system personally, to low a voltage being used to send signals to the ecu, doesnt take much to send the whole thing dappy.

back when i used to work with electronics for a living i used to have to fault find components with a scope.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 150

Year : 05

Mileage : 74000

Sounds like it could be a CIM problem or the dirty ABS connector under the bonnet which is normally favourite for water ingress
    Plasma's Tech2 services are now partially open and able to provide services

Come Join our new forum Insignia Owners.com for all your Insignia chat and needs

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Okay, okay; now your talking a bit to technical for me! Bus systems and CIM's? One thing I really struggle with is car electrics!

Thread Information