User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Strange idle sound from the engine?

  1. #1
    Regular Member coldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default Strange idle sound from the engine?


    Hi all,

    Looking to use some of your genius to establish what the noise is which my Vectra has now developed.

    Background – 1.8 Vectra on a 2004 plate (the 1.8 with the black engine cover)

    When the car is started from cold there is, what I can only describe as, a whirring / wooshing sound. It is coming from the front driver’s side of the engine.

    A quick bit of investigation last night established that is sounds like one of the pulleys the alternator / fan belt goes round which is mounted right at the front top section of the engine. I have not had the chance to get the Haynes manual out to establish what the part is yet im afraid. The sound goes away after the car gets to temperature and has been driven for a few miles.

    Just wondering is A. Anyone knows if this is what is causing the sound B. is it serious and C. is it a dealer or a DIY fix?

    Thanks in advance all.

    Colin

  2. #2
    Regular Member marktaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    its probably your aux belt tensioner as these wear quite easily

    to change the belt is a diy job as long as your not a complete retard with spanners

    best to change aux belt as well as tensioner

    the only down fall if the tensioner gives way or belt comes off is that the belt runs the alternator and usually the air con

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Warrington / Liverpool
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marktaylor View Post
    as long as your not a complete retard
    PMSL

    Well, that rules a few of us out then

  4. #4
    Regular Member marktaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    lol i didnt mean it in any sort of derogatory way

  5. #5
    Regular Member ChrisBilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Rift, Cardiff
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    I've noticed similar sound in the same area and thought it might be the bearings in the alternator, but what mark said sounds more likely.

  6. #6
    Regular Member coldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Result... Thanks for the info..

    Will be pricing parts tonight from Eurocarparts to get it sorted... May as well do a full service at the same time as it's been far to long since that was done... Oh and will get a new O2 sensor for Bank one position 2 which keeps flashing up an intermitant emitions fault light lol....

    Guess what I am going to be doing this weekend (beats cutting the grass anyway lol)

    Is it a wheel off through the floor job or can this be done from the top of the bay down?

  7. #7
    Regular Member coldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMelon View Post
    PMSL

    Well, that rules a few of us out then

    Lol....

    Only reason i am better that this than i was is becuase i went on a college course to learn... I used to think a hammer, a flat blade screw driver and an even bigger hammer was the tools you needed for your car.. lol...

    That said... I am sure their are some dealers out there who still use these tools as their first choice!

  8. #8
    Regular Member ChrisBilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Rift, Cardiff
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Try swapping the two O2/lambda sensors around first to see if the fault indication moves with the sensor (the only difference between the 2 sensors is the length of wire but they will fit). I had one replaced but the problem turned out to be the egr leaking/sucking air.
    Last edited by ChrisBilly; 27th June 2011 at 18:38. Reason: wire

  9. #9
    Regular Member coldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBilly View Post
    Try swapping the two O2/lambda sensors around first to see if the fault indication moves with the sensor (the only difference between the 2 sensors is the length of wire but they will fit). I had one replaced but the problem turned out to be the egr leaking/sucking air.
    The 1.8 I have has the EGR blanked off already (factory fitted) so I am confident it's not going to be that.

    I pulled the codes from OpCom and it says its bank 1 sensor two. Every time i clear it this is the fault that comes back up after a few days... That said, it will then clear it's self again after i have done about a 100 miles with the light on... It's draving me nuts lol...

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    manchester
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by coldo View Post
    Hi all,

    Looking to use some of your genius to establish what the noise is which my Vectra has now developed.

    Background – 1.8 Vectra on a 2004 plate (the 1.8 with the black engine cover)

    When the car is started from cold there is, what I can only describe as, a whirring / wooshing sound. It is coming from the front driver’s side of the engine.

    A quick bit of investigation last night established that is sounds like one of the pulleys the alternator / fan belt goes round which is mounted right at the front top section of the engine. I have not had the chance to get the Haynes manual out to establish what the part is yet im afraid. The sound goes away after the car gets to temperature and has been driven for a few miles.

    Just wondering is A. Anyone knows if this is what is causing the sound B. is it serious and C. is it a dealer or a DIY fix?

    Thanks in advance all.

    Colin
    Exact same thing was going on with my car, it felt like it was running rough on idle too.
    In the end it was found to be the big pulley wheel/cranl pulley i think it was called. 56 quin from andrew paige, lots more at dealers, local garage fitted it fo 30 quid sounding much better now

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Strange idle sound 1.9cdti 150
    By bigdave1701 in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2nd September 2011, 07:57
  2. Strange sound from engine
    By fingers66 in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 19th January 2011, 23:56
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31st July 2008, 15:29
  4. odd vibrating sound at idle??
    By freshprince in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 25th March 2008, 21:06
  5. New sound when idle....
    By Stevie-B in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 4th November 2007, 13:03

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •