Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Water-fed car wash brush

Folks,

Interested to hear about the two bucket method - haven't tried that before so might give it a go. I've been really disappointed with how 'soft' the finish seems to be on my Black GSi. It has been difficult to wash the damn thing without scratching it at the same time. In the past, I've always used a water fed brush as they are supposed to wash away the grit so that you don't get swirl/scratch marks on the finish - but even that method seems to create scratches as if the bristles are too hard!

I've owned Vx cars for many years, but the paint job on the 'C' is far and away the worst I've ever had for showing up scratches - even allowing for it being Black. The clearcoat seems incredibly easy to mark. I've had three Vec 'B's in pearlescent finished Blue, Red and Green - they were all fine even after going through a car wash several times, but I think I'd probably need a respray on the current 'C' if I tried that!

I'm not particularly interested spending hours trying to get a showroom finish (I wax it about twice a year), but I do like to wash the muck off and keep the car clean. Does anyone know if Meguiars or Autoglym etc make a really soft water-fed brush? I've actually tried using a Meguiars wash mitt with the hose stuck inside - but that method is a bit chilly on the fingers right now

Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Andy the effort you put into cleaning your car(s) is great and its good to share your experience with us all. How ever I feel that you missed a couple of important areas that I undertake to ensure a nice shiny car and they are as follows:

1. I always hose the motor down with water to remove the grit and loose ****.
    2. Then I would not touch the motor with a sponge or cloth, just use a good quality car brush that connects to a hose (assuming you do not live 10 storeys up in a flat) this way you wash away any grit etc from the car in a more gentler manner. After I have carried out the above, I am confident that I can apply any wax/polish safe in the knowledge that all of the dirt is off the motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

totally agree Kenny, as i always hose the car down first. I dont use a brush though, i use a lambswool mitt. Good tips though

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As D18 my Ultra Blue is so soft, running the back of your hand over feels like it would scratch it. My Veccy B Star Silver has a very thick tuff clear coat.

What is the best way to hide light scratches because after waxing the are acceptable but once rained on they are back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I am a recent convert to the 2 bucket method, but I have developed my own method for it.

Use one of these - A flash foam gun to apply the detergent:

Flash Gun click here

And then use a lambswool wash mitt to agitate / lift the muck off.

You can either have a bucket of clear water to rinse (nicer in colder weather) the mitt or use the gun on "non foam setting".

works really well I've found on my black saphire paint, plus the ionising function at the end helps for a spot free finish.

Also, never use a dry cloth for buffing the car.

i recommend you buy some Meguairs Quick Detailer spray (about £8 from halfords). dry off the using a water magnet towel so that the car is "damp" and then spray quick detailer onto the water magnet and buff with that. You will be very surprised a the finish and wil take say 10 mins longer to wash the car overall.

hope this helps - it does for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : Leather

Default soft paintwork

hi everyone, very interesting threads i have just bought a v6 cdti in ultra blue, looks fantastic but i am shocked at the way it marks so easily. i part exed my focus tdci for it, i owned this from new did 42,000miles and the paintwork was unblemished. i like the vec c but i will never ever ever ever buy vauxhall again. i am so shocked at voxal paint, i was told that it is a water based paint is this the reason ? any advice please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Not just me then, I love the look of my ultra blue but never will I have a dark colour again. As you say Tony it is the V/X paint but how can I keep them hidden once its rained or I've cleaned it.

This discussion may end soon as we will not be allowed to use water from the mains to wash our cars soon :-(

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

I wonder what is the easiest colour to keep clean, and which looks the cleanest when just cleaned, is it a dark or light colour??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Bought 03 sri last week pride and joy give it a shine up with autoglym products but noticed some slight scratches on the back door is the autoglym paint renovator ok to use or could someone suggest something better please

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by D18
    Folks,

Interested to hear about the two bucket method - haven't tried that before so might give it a go. I've been really disappointed with how 'soft' the finish seems to be on my Black GSi. It has been difficult to wash the damn thing without scratching it at the same time. In the past, I've always used a water fed brush as they are supposed to wash away the grit so that you don't get swirl/scratch marks on the finish - but even that method seems to create scratches as if the bristles are too hard!

I've owned Vx cars for many years, but the paint job on the 'C' is far and away the worst I've ever had for showing up scratches - even allowing for it being Black. The clearcoat seems incredibly easy to mark. I've had three Vec 'B's in pearlescent finished Blue, Red and Green - they were all fine even after going through a car wash several times, but I think I'd probably need a respray on the current 'C' if I tried that!

I'm not particularly interested spending hours trying to get a showroom finish (I wax it about twice a year), but I do like to wash the muck off and keep the car clean. Does anyone know if Meguiars or Autoglym etc make a really soft water-fed brush? I've actually tried using a Meguiars wash mitt with the hose stuck inside - but that method is a bit chilly on the fingers right now

Any suggestions?

I was reading an article last week which was a summarisation of an interview carried out by a large American supplier of cleaning materials/polishes etc to bodyshops and detailers.

The interview was with the chief paint coating plant directors of Mercedes Benz and General motors. It went something like this:

The reason that european market cars have softer paint finishes be it laquer or solid paint is to try to prevent stone chip damage due to the use of salt and grit on our roads during the winter months and the high road speeds on european roads compared with th United States.
    The paint finish is purposefully softer to prevent such damage and is actually designed to be softer under direct sunlight to allow the under surface laquer/paint to move under polishing with Buffers or PC's to fill minor imperfections.

Laquers/paints for the American market are harder as there is less of a requirement to resist stone chips etc as the use of salt or grit is not so widespread and road speeds are lower.

Mercedes Benz and General Motors expect that by the end of 2010 all paint finishes will be more hard wearing as the use of Ceramic Nano particles within Laquers/Paints will be the standard employed on all models. The use of ceramic nano particles creates twice as much surface resistance to minor stone damage, swirling and light scratches etc.

At present Mercedes are trialing the use of such paints on The "C" Class production line with certain colours painted using Ceramic Nano Particle Laquers/Paints. (Paint colours not released due to secrecy, apparently)
    General Motors have said that they are testing the Nano paint technology, but are not prepared to release Model or Colour details until testing is completed.(However all those with Pearlescent finishes on model year 05 onwards look at your paintwork)

Hope this helps those of you interested to understand a little bit about present/upcoming paint technology

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information