User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2.0 DTi oil overfilled....now I'm significanltly down on power....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 2.0 DTi oil overfilled....now I'm significanltly down on power....

Hi folks,

Like a complete plank I overfilled my 2.0 Dti with 10W40 oil and ran the car on a 100 mile round trip on the motorway before draining the oil to the correct level. It turns out I put in about 1 litre too much (about an inch on the dipstick).The yellow engine management light (car with spanner through it) popped up on the way home. After draining the oil to the correct level I have driven to work twice (each time is a 80 mile motorway journey) and the engine management light has popped up a few times for less than 30 seconds. I figure this is the exhaust clearing itself or something.

The problem… the car is significantly down on power, I don’t know if it is the turbo not working, gunge in the fuel filter…who knows….Does anyone have any thoughts? The car will get to motorway speeds but not very quickly, acceleration is down. Revving the engine out of gear seems to be OK and it will climb the rev range quickly to the 5000rpm.

Also as an aside I ran the car on 5W30 last year and other than being a bit smelly/smokey all ran fine. Could the oil change have any part in this?

Thanks Folks.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c

Trim : breeze

Engine : 1.8 16v petrol

Year : 2005

clean out your egr valve too reckon this could be sooted up due to the engine burning oil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

This is maybe a long shot but I had a similar fault after changing oil on a Mazda 6 2.0 tdi. After a few weeks the particulate filter light (DPF) came on and power loss. Had to go to diesel expert and he said common on Mazdas and he is going to do a "burn test" where he runs car at fast idle for 60 minutes and resets light. Semms to have worked, if not new particulate filter.

Admin & Membership Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia

Trim : irmscher

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2009

The 2.o Dti doesn't have a particulate filter

Irmscher Insignia CDTI 130

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the egr valve idea, will tryand make some time at the weekend. I helped my father in law clean out the egr on his x-type, that was seriously sooted up and made a world of a difference to performance. My Veccy really only does motorway millage at 300 miles per week ( for the last 40,000 miles), would it be likely that my egr needs a clean out? I guess using the thinner oil last year may make it more likely....what do you guys think? Millage of teh car sits at 75,000.

Cheers

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The 2.0 dti and 2.2dti its a know problem if oil drops to low or you overfill it afects the powewr of the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Maybe worth cleaning out the intercooler plumbing and breather pipes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default plank alert!

Thought I would give you a quick update and ask another question.....
    I removed the EGR assemby and gave it a good clean. In fact the valve was OK, it was the manifold bits directly above the valve which were gunked up. All nice and clean now. When screwing everything back together i noticed the vacuum pipe which links into a bit of kit situated abovet the top right edge of the radiator was split. In fact i followed this to the other end which connects to the air filter assumbly and noticed that it was not connected at all! Like a plank i must have knocked it off when I changed the filter last week. Repaired the split and reconnected the air filter end.... So the veccy is driving like a dream now, i have not felt it drive as well for a long time. so very happy.

My question is what does the vacuum pipe do and what is the assembly that it connects to on top of the rad?

Oh and I also cleaned up the sensor in the egr manifold assembly, it was dripping wet with oil and other muck. I take it that this was what was probably giving me eml issues.

Cheers guys

James

Thread Information