I would like to say thanks to this Forum you guys have manged to save me £2180.00.
My Signum Cdti 150 04 plate 137,000 miles broke down last Monday on the M25 whilst on my way to Gatwick Airport. before car stopped the Spanner light came on Large amount of black smoke came out of the exhaust and car smelt of fumes.
AA called out recover car to local garage after AA man cleaned out EGR Valve. Pressing accelator would rev to 2k but no more car taken to local approved V dealer.
Was told the following day by dealer the following was required.
1) New DPF
2) New Inlet Manifold
3) New EGR valve
5) Intercooler Leaking
4) Regen required total bill £2260.00
After stating the car is not worth spending that sort of money on I decided to travel back to the Garage concerned and pick the car up I was able to drive the car back 120 miles at a max speed of 50 mph, driving through London was not a problem at that speed.
Anyway after reading this forum I have learnt a lot and manged to spend £80.00 and my car is as good as new. This is what I did.
1) Removed EGR Valve Clean it up and then cycled the valve by applying power to ensure it moved freely. after about twenty cycles and some light oil the valave is as good as new. refitted saving £135.00
2) DPF removed Exhaust system and cleaned the DPF system using caustic soda spent the day cleaning this out. Loads of crap came out. The intresting thing was when I removed the DPF only 1 Stud of the Three studs was ok the other two studs had been sheared off. I then realised what I believe might have happend. the DPF got blocked which caused enhough pressure to blow past the joint and make the metal gasket flap making a odd sound at various driving conditions. ( I believ this is what the garage thought was the intercooler leaking....but I could be wrong). I drilled the broken studs out and fitted 8mm bolts in place used Exhasut paste and bolted joint up. Cleaning this and the repair Svaing £920.00 so i'm told....
3) Refitted the inlet swirl bar using washers as described on this site working correctly. saving £400.00
4) Next using 10k boost to clean inlet out again following the instructions on this site cleaned inlet Manifold out.
Labour costs and Vat I was quoted £2260.00, I undertsnad my cost of course in time was two days but all I have is a trolley jack and bunch of hand tools...... no computer OBD2 op com thingy which I am now thinking of buying.
Result my car just went back to Gatwick Airport to pick up the passengers I took down last week.....54.5 mpg I've never had 54.5mpg I've only ever seen 46-47mpg on a run or 40 around town.
The car picks up great I just need to regen not sure how you do that yet but sure I find this on site somewhere.
My car is normally used to travel to th estation and back each day, this does not do this type of engine any good it needs frequest long runs to clear it out.
BUT I WOULD LIKE TO SAY I TIP MY HAT TO THIS SITE and its members, I have a feeling that the Garage concerned was more interested in selling me another car rather than fixing my car and picking up a bargin themselves.
Sorry if I hi jacked this thread but I just wantted you all to know.
One happy Signum owner
Hats off to this site for saving my car