Thread: Service History File

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Service History File

I caught a few minutes of a classic episode of Wheeler Dealers straight after work today (Lancia Delta Integrale for those interested), and Mike Brewer mentioned that the car came with "the biggest service history file I've ever seen". Actually, it wasn't that big, so I reckon he's easilly impressed, although I have seen him buy 30 year old cars that have apparently been well looked after and yet he get's handed what looks like only a dozen or so sheets of paper as the history file.

So, given that there are some people on here who really, really cherish their cars, show us your service history files and impress us. Obviously no close ups of the V5 etc, but you get the idea.

My file's reasonably impressively fat now, but I've only owned the car for a couple of years and started with the disadvantage that it came with just half a dozen sheets of paper - two MOT certificates, two service invoices, the V5 and the sales invoice. It'll take me a couple more years before I need a forklift truck to lift the file lol.

(And yes, obviously if you trade the car in, the buying dealer won't give a monkey's uncle about how large the file is, but if you sell privately then it helps the sale, and even if you're not selling, it's an example of the pride you take in you car).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If I trade a car in I bin the receipts as I hate the dealers giving you nothing for it but proudly displaying it to a new buyer and charging a premium for it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post
    If I trade a car in I bin the receipts as I hate the dealers giving you nothing for it but proudly displaying it to a new buyer and charging a premium for it!
    You're missing a trick there - keep the receipts, and leave a note under the seat of the car, for the new owner to find one day, that says "Call this number if you want to buy the REAL history file for this car".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

"If I trade a car in I bin the receipts as I hate the dealers giving you nothing for it but proudly displaying it to a new buyer and charging a premium for it!"

That's a shame really. The new, proud owner might write to you asking for the receipts because he's an enthusiast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I used to keep all the receipts, then pass them over with the car

I did this with my previous Rover when selling it in 1999, but the buyer was more interested in the Service Book and retaining the receipts on work completed in the last 12 months
    I then sent these later after removing my personal details, which the buyer agreed to

However, I stopped doing that in 2004
    I only keep the receipts for as long as I own the vehicle
    I then provide the Service Book, with a note inside that the next owner can contact me in writing (details on V5) for 3 months for a print out of the work carried out
    After 3 months the receipts are then shredded and disposed of

My current car has quite a lot of receipts now, mostly insurance, warranty, MoT, and tyres

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
    You're missing a trick there - keep the receipts, and leave a note under the seat of the car, for the new owner to find one day, that says "Call this number if you want to buy the REAL history file for this car".
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc 100 View Post
    "If I trade a car in I bin the receipts as I hate the dealers giving you nothing for it but proudly displaying it to a new buyer and charging a premium for it!"

That's a shame really. The new, proud owner might write to you asking for the receipts because he's an enthusiast.
    The only time I have been contacted by a new owner was with my signum, also that was the only car I left the receipts in. So that's less than a 5% contact rate. Also this car had the drivers seat swapped by the auction house that sold it for a damaged one as it was mint, so in this case the note would have been found. They sold that car for an absolute bargain as you still cannot buy a 2003 3.0 signum with 60k on it for what the new owner paid

I wouldn't sell any history to a new owner either, if I had it I would just send it as I'm not that desperate for a few quid!

Most people are only interested in the stamps in the book, nothing else. In my opinion of course!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

it's not just about the stamps in the history book , which is an important factor in purchasing a looked after car ,

but if someone has gone to the trouble of saving little things like light bulb receipts , tax disc receipts etc ,

there is a good chance they have been as caring / careful with the whole car .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Plus a stolen/cloned car isn't going to have a fat file with it, so loads of old receipts that clearly pertain to that car gives you a bit of extra reassurance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I love looking through a cars history, it’s part of its character and give's an insight into just how well the car was looked after, I look after my vehicles and so am only to pleased to share the knowledge with new owners

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by HITFACTORY1403 View Post
    it's not just about the stamps in the history book , which is an important factor in purchasing a looked after car ,

but if someone has gone to the trouble of saving little things like light bulb receipts , tax disc receipts etc ,

there is a good chance they have been as caring / careful with the whole car .
    Completely agree for a private sale but not for a trade in to a dealer. I paid £3400 for my old GSi, a year later I px'd it for £1950 (went on his for court for £3k iirc) against a £7k car. He wasn't even interested in the paperwork, so he didn't get it. All he was interested in was the service book. Same goes for my old astra coupé that I bought at a year old and the Signum that I px'd that in for.

Its something I look for when I buy a car, along with decent brand tyres as it shows that things could have been skimped on when its wearing 4 linglong or fullruns

If I px my Legacy they won't get the receipts as the dealer will benefit and I won't get a single £1 for it, if I sell it privately then they will get the lot.

A pic of some of the bits i have for my Legacy - that could be yours

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by Big Sig; 15th June 2011 at 22:10.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information