User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: HEEELLLPPP!!! Smoking Brembos...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Exclamation HEEELLLPPP!!! Smoking Brembos...

I am not pleased...

Fitted new Mintex discs and Brembo pads to the Siggy around 600 miles ago. Had a pulsing steering wheel at high speed braking and after checking on the brake tester my left disc was ever so slightly off running true.

I put this down to my stupid idea of putting ceramic grease between the disc and hub to stop it sticking/rusting (We will ignore this point)...

Took the wheel off and gave it some spins to smooth off the ceramic paste and see if it helped (as haven't the time today to remove the calipers etc etc) and took it for a spin...

We are talking under 10 miles of racing upto 80-100mph and braking from between medium to harsh braking (but not ABS harshness) down to 30-40 and repeating... (and there is slightly less vibration so they are getting cleaned when I have time).

I got home and had the car on idle whilst I checked wheel nut torques and the brakes were literally SMOKING... there is some blueing to the discs also

Surely this isn't right... My friend did say he had something similiar on his Evo so he changed back to Mintex and a few forums say this can be normal for newish pads? This is the first real thrashing they have had after bedding in but I have never had this before so bad?

The blueing is the part that worries me the most... as its an MOT failure and mine is due in 3 weeks

Anyone who has had the same problems or fitted the Brembo aftermarket pads please reassure me or let me know if there is something very wrong. They aren't binding as like I said I was spinning the disc freely between the pads earlier

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I do not know about the blueing but the temperatures can easily reach over a 1000 degrees with hard braking from the speeds you describe and you should have drove for a few miles afterwards to let them cool.

The only thing I suggest is get them really hot again, but then drive round for about 20mins without really using them to let the air rushing past cool them rather than then stopping and letting the heat just stay there... I do not know if it will work but only costs you time and a bit of feul to try.

If this does not help at least it is a free bump!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It can take unto 1000 miles for brakes to bed in before any heavy breaking

Thread Information