StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Motor Bike License

Hello,

I'm hoping some one here may be able to help me or point me in the right direction. Basically as a Christmas present I'm am looking at getting a sports bike around 600cc. I have read direct.gov but cant get my head round what test I need to do to be able to ride it.

I currently have a full UK Driving License which I obtained in 2005, prior to that I did my CBT and rode a scooter for 2 years. I took my CBT in 2002. The bit I cant seem to work out is what type of course/test do I need to do to be able to go get straight on a 600cc?

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well to be able to ride a 600cc you will need to do your Direct access course. But because its been over 2/3 years you will need to do your CBT again before you can do the direct access.

I am Glad I did mine many years ago as the cost has shot out the roof..Your looking at around £100 for CBT.....£31 theory Test.....They say people with some experience need 15 hours training which will be around £450 then £90.50 for the Test.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to do the direct access which will require you to do your cbt again as that only last for 2 years then upon completing that the instructor will tell you how many hours he thinks you will need training on a 600 or alike, I'm doing mine at the moment that's how I now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right cheers. So if I state that I want to ride a 600 to the instructor would I then do my test on that size of bike? Also do you do the test on your own bike or one of theirs?

Just wanting to know all the info before I go do it. The girlfriend has said she will pay for the test and license etc, as long as I get the bike and helmet etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Youll be better off doing it on their bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rickybotts_123 View Post
    Right cheers. So if I state that I want to ride a 600 to the instructor would I then do my test on that size of bike? Also do you do the test on your own bike or one of theirs?

I did mine learning on a "school" bike - any Direct Access course will be running using bikes which meet the necessary power output for an "A" (full) licence; IME, typically bikes like the ER-5, ER-6, CB500, Bandit 600/650.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did my direct access test about 6 years ago and you use their bikes. You ride a 125cc for a day or so, then move up to the 500cc (big bike) for the rest of the course (3-4 day course). Then before your test they ask if you want to take the test on the smaller or bigger bike, if you go for the smaller 125 you have a restricted licence (limited to 33bhp) for two years, then it's lifted automatically with nothing else for you to do and you can ride anything. If you test on the 500cc you have a FULL licence and can jump on anything straight away.

On the restricted licence you can still buy that CBR600RR BUT will have to have it restricted to 33bhp LOL.

Regular Member bulletproofpanda's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much the same advice as the others have put... Only other thing would be if you still have your own kit from your 125cc days take that with you. I went from a 125cc on my first day of Direct Access to 500cc the next in a borrowed helmet and a fleece and a pair of jeans at 60/70mph on the A3 and that scared me straight into Hein Gericke that evening to get some proper kit....

Good luck with it... Did read in MCN the other day that they are rethinking the new style 2 part practical test so might be worth researching to see if that is going to come in

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right cheers guys for all the advice and info. I would ideally like to be able to do the test whereby I can then go get any bike I want. I have had a go on mates bikes on private land and feel comfortable with them. I'm going to get it booked in the next few months hopefully so in the mean time I'll be saving to get all the proper kit. Unfortunately I haven't got anything at the moment so will need the whole lot.

Probably going to be many months down the line but Ill post up pics when I finally get my new toy. Cheers again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bulletproofpanda View Post
    I went from a 125cc on my first day of Direct Access to 500cc the next in a borrowed helmet and a fleece and a pair of jeans at 60/70mph on the A3 and that scared me straight into Hein Gericke that evening to get some proper kit....
    Good luck for when the time comes mate. Its great getting on a bike and going for a good ride.

Without trying to be a scare monger, anyone who gets on a motorbike without protective gear is a fool IMO.

It makes me shudder when i see people riding both big and small bikes in shorts and t-shirts. We have all sufferd a road rash falling off a skateboard or pushbike... imagine that at 30+ mph

Just make sure you budget for some good gear to wear aswell mate. It does not need to be top of the range... Leather is good full stop.. But some of the more comfortable textile jackets are very good these days and really dont cost a great deal.

I think this is one area which can easily be over looked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information