Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Current market for Veccy's

I know the 'how much is my car worth section' is closed. From a completely different angle - no figures - my recent experience is that demand for petrol Vectras is falling while demand for diesel Vectras is astonishingly high. I should know, I've spent since April trying to get a diesel Vectra and I've lost out by minutes several times even though I've been quick off the starting blocks. Problem is the diesels with decent mileage are sold as soon as they are advsertised, while even ultra low mileage petrol Vectras are sitting on the forecourt unsold. I can point you in the direction of a 2008 Vectra which has less than 10k on the clock and it has been sat there for about 7 weeks, nearly 8 weeks. In contrast, a 150 diesel came in on Tuesday, went on the dealer's webiste Wednesday, was sold by Thursday!!

The underlying reason is of course soaring fuel prices. There is also the added benefit that the life expectancy of a high mileage diesel will last longer than a petrol as people tighten their belts and change their cars less frequently given the capital cost involved.

My petrol Vectra is immaculate (not biased) but even in immaculate condition dealers aren't interested given its mileage. However, if it was a diesel with the same condition bodywork they would be very interested in buying my petrol Vectra. A dealer told me he scours the market looking for diesels every day as he knows they sell as soon as he can get them, but not petrols. Petrols are, as you would expect, depreciating but diesels are appreciating i.e. they aren't just holding their value month on month, they are increasing in value month on month, and again that is my experience since April, diesels have increased in price.

I couldn't get a 2008 one, kept losing out to someone just a fraction quicker. I've now put a deposit down on a 150 diesel, a 2007/07 plate. I will pass the petrol one to my wife and I'm looking to munching motorway miles in the 150 diesel and that will make us a two Vectra family!!
    Last edited by SpeedKingHighwayStar; 12th June 2011 at 19:39. Reason: I'm the world's worst typist!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thing is, a diesel Vectra will cost more when purchased and you'd have to do a lot of miles to make up that extra outlay.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

very much so with regards to diesels,
    A friend works for a peugeot main dealer, and he said if you discard the 107 sales, the rest of the range, sales are about a 75:25 split towards a diesel (even in the 207 range!!). CO2 emissions are lower meaning lower tax on a diesel, better fuel economy, generally cheaper insurance for diesels (in my case at least),
    if all manufacturers have a similar diesel, petrol sales ratio then how long before it comes even more favourable towards diesel cars.?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Chris SRi View Post
    Thing is, a diesel Vectra will cost more when purchased and you'd have to do a lot of miles to make up that extra outlay.
    i've did the maths with relevant prices in my area, and you'd need to do 14982 miles a year over 3 years for a diesel to be worth the additional outlay, and to pay for the additional outlay, any more miles, or longer period of time and the diesel more than pays for its extra outlay.
    I havent accounted for unscheduled maintanance repairs, but have taken into account relevant planned service costs, using my local main dealer servicing prices.

Hampshire (Near Havant) . .Drives: Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

Year : 2005

People will buy a car with a set amount.

IE £5k to spend on a car. If its petrol or diesel they are still wanting to spend £5k so buying diesel you are going to save on fuel costs, tax cost, insurance costs etc.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : VXR8 6.0 muscle SRI ESTATE XP1

Trim : VXR/ SRI ESTATE CDTI XP1

Engine : 6.0 V8 Thunder

Year : 2008

well ive had no joy trying to sell my vectra sri diesel cdti (150)
    its very tidy with motorway miles and not even had a timewaster lol
    VXR IS FOR LIFE NOT JUST FOR THRILLS !

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Chris SRi View Post
    Yep, aware of that.

I have an Excel spreadsheet which does all of the calculation and its amazing what "works" and what doesn't.

In my case I'm doing close to 40,000 miles per annum and most of that is cruising along motorways. If I effectively "bin" a petrol Vectra every two years then its better for me to have a diesel which will still be functional beyond say 100,000 miles. I know a petrol will still work etc past that mileage, but the diesel is better suited to it. I had a petrol Carlton back in 1990's. I kept it a year or so too long and spent an absolute fortune once it reached 120,000 miles so the 20,000 miles between there and 140,000 miles I spent more in that last year than I did all the previous years. I should have parted with it earlier.

My current Vectra is now at the 90,000 milles stage and I want to take the load off of it and pass it to my wife who hardly does any miles so that it will last for a number of years yet, which at my rate of use would be 130,000 miles this time next year, 170,000 miles 12 months after that....

you can prob see now why it makes sense for me to get a diesel. Also, I've driven a 150 diesel and in terms of performance I preferred it to my petrol Vectra, by comparison the word I would use would be "woooosh!!" Its acceleration on the motorway was far superior to my petrol Vectra.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by rjw View Post
    you'd need to do 14982 miles a year over 3 years for a diesel to be worth the additional outlay
    I do nearly 40,000 miles a year, most of them motorway and long journeys

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by lee gsi View Post
    People will buy a car with a set amount.

IE £5k to spend on a car. If its petrol or diesel they are still wanting to spend £5k so buying diesel you are going to save on fuel costs, tax cost, insurance costs etc.
    Know what you mean. However, I've got to know a few dealers over the past 2 months and without question a low-medium mileage diesel will just fly off of the forecourt as soon as it arrives.

I've never had such a difficult drawn out experience trying to source a flamin car, its bananas. Many diesels are apparently not even reaching the forecourt or prep, dealers have a small band of people on their phone list like such as me whom they phone as soon as a diesel Vectra comes in and before they even prep them somebody on that list buys them on spec - I know that for a fact and from personal bitter experience when I've lost out visiting a dealer with one newly in only to discover that somebody else bought it over the internet. The dealer took me to show me the car, totally un-prepped just in but sold and said he could get me another one like it next week and took my number.

Meanwhile there are petrols which that same dealer has, including such as only 24,000 miles and they have sat there since April that I know of, possibly since March when the new plate came out at trade in stage. If the engine was a 150 diesel it wouldn't be sat there. Added to the natural demand, there was a minority of diesel Vectras sold in say 2007 and 2008 compared with petrols, so that adds to the scarce factor and demand and better prices for diesels.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

But even if you have a set price, you'll get a newer, lower mileage petrol car than a diesel one.

Example - My 2008 1.8 SRi, 24000 miles - £6995.

How much would a diesel Vec be with similar miles / age?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information