Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 3.2 throttle body mods

Finally got my arse into gear and started modding my tb... this could have been a 'how 2' but to be honest.. don't know if it'll work out..

Should have really taken some stripdown/before pics...but I didn't.
    The original I.D was 64mm... after a little measuring I reckoned I could take it out to 67.5mm without damaging the inlet spout...wasn't worried about breaking into the water jacket as it is there to heat the tb 'not' cool it (stops butterfly freezing in winter (and appently improves mpg so I'm told).
    After getting a guy at work to machine it out it came back with a dia of 65mm ... not what I wanted.. so set to work and used a pedistal drill and a 68mm hole saw..rough I know.. but worked a treat.

Bored out with holesaw..a little rough but dia @ 68.5mm and no damage to inlet or water jacket.

Polished up with various flap wheels..now a nice 69mm I.D...(inlet wall thickness down to 1mm in one place...phew)

As I use an oil catch tank/breather no need for the pipe on the inlet but decided not to do away with it totally.... removed pipe, tapped it out 3/8 bsp and fitted a 3/8-10mm adapter and a 10mm plug (this way I can easily re-pipe in breather if needed).

Made and refitted water pipes etc... as these are a press fit I tinned them with solder and pressed them in with a little sealant..will need to pressure test the water ones to ensure no leaks..(yes I know you dont solder olives.. these are purely for the jubilee clips to go up against )

made a rough butterfly last night, will make the proper one tonight an pressure test... all being well will be able to fit and test it out tuesday

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Mate, good work on the mods. Real impressive. Can't wait to hear how she drives.

Question, as you would have seen, the z32se has basically secondary throttle body flaps inside the intake plenum. You would have seen it when you took the cover off, six little plastic flaps that cover each intake valve. 3 each side that close uniformly on that side. Now i'm wondering... What happens if I just remove them completely... Am i going to be getting an ECU error as I assume the Air to fuel mixture will be WAYYYY rich, or will it just give me a better more uniform flow of air and worse MPG.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You are to man for 3.2 mods, big up you deserve 20bhp extra just for the effort not that u will but fantastic stuff all the same.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Vectra_C_Chris View Post
    Mate, good work on the mods. Real impressive. Can't wait to hear how she drives.

Question, as you would have seen, the z32se has basically secondary throttle body flaps inside the intake plenum. You would have seen it when you took the cover off, six little plastic flaps that cover each intake valve. 3 each side that close uniformly on that side. Now i'm wondering... What happens if I just remove them completely... Am i going to be getting an ECU error as I assume the Air to fuel mixture will be WAYYYY rich, or will it just give me a better more uniform flow of air and worse MPG.
    I looked into this before..apparently the 'closed' secondries improve low down torque then open later in the rev range..(vac operated I think) I've been in 2 minds whether to do away with them for ages as the previous vx v6's didn't have them... not sure if there would be any errors thrown up... will disconnect vac pipesor whatever(need to look) at some point and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by TimTay View Post
    You are to man for 3.2 mods, big up you deserve 20bhp extra just for the effort not that u will but fantastic stuff all the same.
    cheer to you both and yeah.. 20bhp would be nice(do I get 25bhp if I paint it?)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Love the mod m8, and that way of thinking. Hope you get the results as mods like this deserve them.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

TB is looking good!

as you say the variable inlet ensures air has do do the long runner route for the high torque, when they open, the air goes directly into the cylinders!
    I am sure the removal of the flaps (or the vac to hold them closed) will just remove driveability!

Quote Originally Posted by hagga View Post
    I looked into this before..apparently the 'closed' secondries improve low down torque then open later in the rev range..(vac operated I think) I've been in 2 minds whether to do away with them for ages as the previous vx v6's didn't have them... not sure if there would be any errors thrown up... will disconnect vac pipesor whatever(need to look) at some point and see what happens.

cheer to you both and yeah.. 20bhp would be nice(do I get 25bhp if I paint it?)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Spent a few more hours on it last night....

Made butterfly...

Chopped away half of butterfly shaft to improve flow when at full throttle.

Refitted shaft.. easier said than done... (under spring tension an have to be carefull not to damage throttle position pot wipers)

Butterfly fitted in closed position.

Fully open.

Tested to check throttle positon pots read correctly.for some strange reason there are 2 pots(carbon track) that are wired so one pot reads opposite to the other(if you get what I mean).fyi..both pots are 1k and have 300ohm in series with the wiper(not sure where the extra 100ohm comes from on meter..maybe wiper contact resistance)

all in all a good nights work ... only thing bugging me is the butterfly isnt a perfect fit when closed (tis harder to make than you think as it's an elipse) and there's also a gap where shaft enters/exits tb...but hopefully it'll be good enough and not give any running/vac issues... will try and fit it this week if weathers okay..
    I will be honest, though I did enjoy making it.. I wouldn't do it again lol but now I know how the position sensor works etc if this doesn't work out I can posibly mod an 'allready suitable sized' tb.
    Last edited by hagga; 12th June 2011 at 08:30.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Lada

Trim : Riva

Engine : 6.0 V12

Year : 1954

Mileage : 567890987

What a great thread, nice to see someone getting back to proper old fashioned tuning for a change.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by paul667 View Post
    I am sure the removal of the flaps (or the vac to hold them closed) will just remove driveability!
    I agree.. though I will try disabling them just to see what happens (i've just got opcom so I can play and reset faults all day long )
    Last edited by hagga; 12th June 2011 at 08:37. Reason: Because I can't spell :)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Good work hagga, when you do come to fit it can you take a picture of them both side by side to compare them.
    Hope it makes a little more power with it fitted

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information