Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 v6

Year : 2004

Mileage : 110,000

Default Boot lock not opening

What a day.

I went out to the car, Siggy, and tried to open the tailgate, guess what? Aye it would not open. Thought to myself Flippin Brilliant, that's all I Blinking well need. Opened rear door, lowered the seat moved all my rubbish and opened it with the internal mechanism. Shouted to the wife to lift the tailgate and the shut it (no I meant the tailgate). tried to open it and it worked. Ya beauty problem solved. Tried it half a dozen times worked fine, I even locked and unlocked it. Went into the hut to get some stuff that I ws taking to the local dump. Your right the tailgate would not open.

Oh Bother I said, I wonder what the problem might be.

Spent the next 30 mins messing about with it, sometimes it would work others it would not.

Next thing my mate appears. He says, what have you broke this time? I explained the problem. Must be the motor or solenoid or something like that he says. Well we begin to strip out the locking mechanism. When I get it out, I take it all to pieces to check it. So there I am sitting on the front doorstep with pieces of locking mechanism lined up along the step. There were no broken springs the little electric motor was working, and all the other little bits and Pieces were all OK. Strange that wonder why it is not working.

Oh well nothing for it may as well put it back together again. After about another 30 mins of much hilarity on my mates part, it was all reassembled and fitted back on the car. I will look at it again next weekend I said.

My mate said it could be the button in the handle. Great shout says me, so I grab the rubber part and pull it off. You should have seen the rubbish that fell out. No wonder it would not work. Got it cleaned out and washed it all out with a good spray of WD40. Tried and tested it about a dozen times, worked every time. Thank the lord for that I said, allI need to do now is put the rubber cover back on. HaHa easier said than done. Try as I might there was no way this little bandit was going to give in without a fight. I tried everything I new to put it back on, but no flippin way was this little beggar going back on. there was no way a little piece of rubber was going to beat me, so off came all the trim to get the handle out of the tailgate. See that will teach you to mess with me, I got the cover fitted again dead easy when it is not on the car, and reassembled everything again. Got you that is you sorted out. Aye did you think you were going to beat me. Then guess what?

No the battery was flat as the radio had been on the doors were left open and all the internal lights were on. No problem says my mate I will get my car and give you a jump start. Not with a 1.2 corsa you won't I said. He insisted on trying, of course it never even tickled it. Had to phone one of the other mates to bring down his big Volvo, that soon got it going then I tried to explain to my helper why his little car would not start mine but gave up when I saw the blank look on his face as I started rabbitting on about Amps Volts and Watts.

On the bright side I now know the workings of the tailgate lock inside out, and it is good to know that if the little motor ever packs up it can be replaced and you do not need to buy a whole unit.
    3.2 v6 Signum and loving it

http://www.freewebs.com/johnsdutton/

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum 2.0 DTi

Trim : Elegance/Elite

Engine : 2.0DTi

Year : 2003

Mileage : 73350

Common fault on all vec,s siggy,s ,the new replacement microswitch, caseing are modified so they should,nt let the gunge in .
    Ended up changing mine in the end last winter.
    Driving vauxhall,s for 30 + years
    and still loving it

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 57 zafira 1.9 cdti design

Trim : design

Engine : 1.9 cdti

Year : 2008

Quote Originally Posted by bobssignum View Post
    Common fault on all vec,s siggy,s ,the new replacement microswitch, caseing are modified so they should,nt let the gunge in .
    Ended up changing mine in the end last winter.
    mines ok but do you think its worth stripping and cleaning?.

al.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum 2.0 DTi

Trim : Elegance/Elite

Engine : 2.0DTi

Year : 2003

Mileage : 73350

If its working ok leave it alone.for what it costs to replace it is hardly worth taking apart just for the sake of it
    What usually happens with the microswitch is that under the rubber cover there is a small plate leaver which has a ball bearing fitted into it on a spring , when this gets gunged up the bearing can not slide up and down and make the connection with the m.s contacts
    Driving vauxhall,s for 30 + years
    and still loving it

Thread Information