User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do 19 year old nursery teachers know ?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default What do 19 year old nursery teachers know ?

dropped my 3.5 year old son off at nursery ,

his co-ordinater asked to have a word ,

she said she'd done some speech , hearing and visual tests with him .

it turns out he has a 2.5 stage score on the tests .

which basically means he is at the stage of a 2.5 year old ( HE'S 3.5 Y/O )

she shows us a photo copy of a stage progress / graph of how the children should progress .

now this girl teacher looks about 19 and apparently is still at college doing her training .

she tells us he says " boad " for boat ,,,, " waining " for raining etc .

also that he sits in groups circle activities but can lose concentration ,

and that when he was told to pick the larger item between a big teddy and a small car ...... he picked the car .

she advised that we should make an appointment with his health visitor regarding speech lessons and to help him concentrate .

when we rang his health visitor and she was shocked because ,

A ) the nursery should have brought the help in and they should not have asked us to do it through an outside source .

B) when we told her the issues , she basically said the nursery were over reacting and that loads of 3 year olds are at this stage .

the nursery staff surely can't be daft enough to think that every child will follow the photo copied chart .

Could the young trainee actually be naiive enough to think that if a child strays from the chart , he's got immediate problems and needs professional help ?

The health visitor , like we thought already , said that , not all children develop at the same speed .

the health visitor actually rang the nursery and must of given them a kick in the bum because the nursery later phoned us up saying that they could get the help brought in ..

================================================== ===

My partner , Cathrine was actually in tears at being told our son was slower than other 3 year olds progress ..

but it's actually frightning that trainee teachers are making these possibly rash decisions and comments , that worry parents ,

and if we had not phoned a health visitor ,
    we would not of known it was normal for some 3 year olds to lose concentration in group activities , he's 3 for gods sake , there's only so much stillness a child can do .

and that just because he picked a small car in a test for " big items " does not mean he doesn't understand ...... it just means he prefers small cars to big teddy bears ..

Any way , we have got him some extra help .

Rant over + off chest . ....... Have A Nice Friday Everyone .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Unfortunately this sounds like something the wife and I are going through with our Son.
    They keep measuring the circumference of his head, and as he's not "where he should be" on their chart, they keep refering him to our doctor, who then refers us to the paediatrician, who've X-rayed his head, measured mine and the wifes head and confirmed he's perfectly fine and his head size is genetic.

Next time, our responce is maybe your chart's wrong to my son.

Yes children develop at different rates, i know a few adults that say "boad " for boat ,,,, "waining" for raining etc, and when sat in a group circle, lose concentration. So I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Also if you give my boy the option to pick up a teddy bear or a car, he'll pick the car. Give him a building blocks or a car, he'll pick the car. It's his my fault, he's surrounded by cars every day, and I keep taking him to BTCC events to watch cars.

You and your Wife, Keep your chin up enjoy your son and know that his perfectly fine.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

What a load of crap these people come up with. We all learn at different rates, and, at 3 1/2 years old, how can they be expected to know they're not developing to match some stupid chart.
    As had been said, what the hell is a trainee doing making these decisions anyway. Hope the OP's wife has calmed down now, best they run the test again - on the teacher!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : CDTI 150 (Z19 DTH)

Year : 2006

Mileage : 140000

It is a load of rubbish, all kids are different and will develop in theire own time, when they are at school and falling behind the rest of the class then worry. Out of our baby group of 8 my daughter never rolled and took ages to crawl where all the other babies where well ahead of her, did i worry no, it turned out she was 2nd to start walking, now she's 2 and a half she talks better then most of the other toddlers in our group. But there are some things she can't do that i see other 2-3 year old doing. So is she under developing, I don't think so, like i said at the beginning don't worry about it, worry when they start school, it's all about having fun when your a toddler.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sounds abit like the school my kids are at tbh mate,we've had a few useless trainee teachers over the past few years lol

you and your partner ignore them and just let your son progress as he is mate

isnt stocksfield primary is it ?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : SRI VX-Line Nav

Engine : 2.0 CDTI [170 PS]

Year : 2015

Mileage : 27000

This is a case of 'following procedure' instead of employing common sense - on the nurse's part. If a professional gave you reassuring, advice I'd bin what the nursery nurse said tbh.
    Insignia VX-Line Nav CDTI 170.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

We all managed to get where we are without this type of ludicrous attention and comparing... costs us billions to make the system worse than it was.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I wouldn't be too hard on the trainee. If she is in training then she has to do everything by the book to meet the required standards. Once you qualify and are in a job, you can relax and use your own judgement and common sense.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You want to know about rubbish teachers? When I was at primary school, a teacher in her mid-20s used to read a book aloud to us, one chapter a day. It was a fictional account of a Jewish girl and her family's escape from persecution in 1930's Germany, a bit like a children's version of the Anne Frank Diaries.

Somehow, there were no Nazis in this book, from the way this teacher read it. There were plenty of Nayzees though, and we heard chaper after chapter about how the Nayzees were trying to capture this girl's father as he was a prominent Jew.

It's possible that this teacher was stupid enough to purposefully mispronounce "Nazi", just to avoid having to answer lots of question from us about why it's pronounced that way when there's no letter "t" in the word - but the same can be said about the way "pizza" is pronounced. I think it's more likely - although still incredible - that this woman reached her mid 20's without ever realising that "Nayzee" is not how it's pronounced.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My mrs is a fully qualified nursery room supervisor ill have her have a look at this tonight and see what she says

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information