0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Hatchback

Trim : Life(well it was)

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

Mileage : 166000

Default little idea to help the slow ones

ok so im being a bit slow here but i thought i knew a reasonable bit about cleaning gear but then i come into this area and get completely lost lol so could someone maybe do a basic guide to all the different products like sealents and gloss enhancers aswell as ure usual wax, compound and polish etc like a detailing for idiots, get you started guide lol

bit of a job for ginge me thinks judging by the skin on his gsi he knows what hes doing :P chop chop bloke lol
    South East Region ARO And Resident Diesel Head

Owns: 2005 Vectra Life Hatchback 1.9 CDTI 150 Mods: Too Many !!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Lmao, I can only comment on the products I have used and tried TBH mate, Khalid and Bob are a million time's more qualified than me.

But if you tell me what products your looking into, what products you have and how much you want to spend on new products I can see what I can find.

On this, I was going to post a few guides in here, but there was no guarantee they would be turned into stickies as I do not know who the mod of this bit of the forum is.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

fair enough mate lol will have to have a meet up and you can give me a few lessons lol, sounds like a good excuse for the pub aswell lol, atm im spending as little as i can on cleaning it so i can save for the respray lol as i managed to punch yet another dent in it the other day ( dont ask, long story lol) and its really really annoying me

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It is an activity that I find therapeutic (except in this godforsaken weather!) relaxing and just plain meditative almost!!

Products don't have to cost the earth, and a lot of snob value can be found on some websites over those that use the cheaper products etc etc I don't follow that school of thinking to be honest.

First a little back thinking.

Rinse, use a tap pressure hose to remove the large particle grit and debris
    Pre-wash rinse, a pressure washer held at a shallow angle to wash away the thicker residue and to remove as much as possible.

APC (All purpose cleaner) I use Autosmart G101 diluted 10:1 or 6:1 (muckyness depending) but there are loads available, I apply to the under archers and any area I want to start a pre-soap soaking on. this can also be used on alloys and plastics a well but,
    Wheel cleaner, I use a specific wheel cleaner called Bilberry, smells nice dilutes around 6>10:1 I have both 6 and 10:1 dilution (so the 5 litre container lasts years for you initial investment)
    TFR/Shampoo (Traffic film remover) I don't, I use shampoo one with a high level of wax in it such as meguiers, Auto Smart Duet, again hundreds available dabble with the triplewax 2 for £5 in asda it's a decent wee shampoo to play about with.

Wheels doused in Bilberry, left a couple of mins, pressure washed off then a bucket and mit to wash the faces and a brush to do the inners, then rinse.

Two bucket method. I don't use the very expensive buckets with grit guards but do use the "Two bucket" method one fresh water one lovely & bubbly!!
    I wash a section then rinse with the hose, so roof and windows, then rinse, rear quarter and rear door, above the rub strip, rinse, etc etc, then fresh wash mit and lower doors bumpers finally the sill covers.

I use an old sponge come scourer from washing the dishes to wash down the tyres.

Pressure wash off, apply demon shine pour on if you wish then air dry.

Clay session, loads on here about clay, so let's move on,,,

OK polishes waxes sealants glazes.

My understanding is that a polishes contain abrasives to scour the surface in differing degrees, Autoglym Super Resin polish is still one of the worlds best and as a first polish is perfectly fine as it will remove those under it. I apply with a microfibre covered sponge, that is wet then wrung out so is damp, this makes the polish go WAYYYY further!
    Try not to apply in full sun as you don't get the chance to work on the wet polish before it dries and goes chalky. So apply then a panel at a time leave on the paint maybe 10 mins then remove.
    I remove first with cotton polishing cloth, do NOT use an old T'shirt or I will dis-own you the tie die look is not cool
    After removing I let it sit for a few more minutes then buff with a high quality Microfibre as the oils will come out as it sits and this way it removes any greasy swirls.
    I next apply a glaze on top of the polish to deepen the shine further and have tried several, these many find are not needed in their regime but to me it is as much a part of the activity as washing!
    I apply panel by panel remove, allow to evaporate and buff again. Chemical guys Glossworkz glaze is my current polish of choice.
    Sealant or wax, sealant is synthetic, wax is natural, sealant supposedly lasts longer, wax has the amazing feel and depth, I use a cheap (according to those out there) wax from Autosmart called Carnauba gold. Used it for years and adore it as there is to my eyes a real visible difference once it is on top of the other products and again panel by panel on and off with about 10 mins to set then 10 mins to evaporate.

I am really pleased with my current set up for my car and would tot it us as follows

2 x 14 litre buckets B&Q will do £5
    shampoo £2.50 to £20
    G101 around a £10 for 5 litres is roughly right
    Bilberry probably £17 for 5 lites
    Polish, SRP can be from £7 to £15 for a litre or so
    Glaze £Chemical Guys Glossworks Glaze is about £15
    Wax, AS Carnauba Gold, about £8>10
    Cotton cloth £5
    Microfibre cloths £10 for a good one so call it £20
    Tyre dressing plastic trim etc spend about £7 for a 500ml bottle

it's not cheap but it's not an expensive afternoon either?

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : SRi

Engine : Z22SE (2.2 Petrol)

Year : 2004

Mileage : 137000

Have a look through HERE mate.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum 2.0 DTi

Trim : Elegance/Elite

Engine : 2.0DTi

Year : 2003

Mileage : 73350

Depends penfold if you want to go down the one product range route or the mix and match route , i personally like to mix and match trying out different products as they become available or if they come highly recommended

Shampoo,s Dodo juice born to be mild , zymol auto wash are my preferred shampoo,s

Swirl removers/ cleaner waxes Zaino fusion , pinnacle xmt 360 ,mequiars cleaner wax chemical guys swirl and scratch begone , Zymol cleaner wax , Zaino fusion is my go to first choice at the moment brilliant product with a medium cut and a small amount of filler . Pinnacle xmt leans more to a paint cleaner/polish very good for cleaning up a paint surface after paint correction has been carried out ,meq s cleaner wax does what it says it cleans paint a good bulk product , C G swand scratch begone newish to the market still not fully explored its potential , zymol cleaner wax , heavy duty cleaner wax not very user friendly

Polishes , optimum hyper polish , Zaino z5, autoglym srp ,autoglym uds .
    Pure polishes these days are becoming less popular ,Optimum hyper polish the first polish to be available in a spray dispensor , the polish itself works very well its just a pain to use, Zaino z5 along with its sister z2 probably the best pure polishes around the two autglym products rapidly becoming old hat though a new srp2 will be available this year
    sealants . poorboys Blackhole jetseal 109, optimum opti-seal .
    Poorboys blackhole along with its sister sealent white diamond just about dominated the sealent band , now being over taken by newer products Ez glaze and glossworks both being proved to be better , Jetseal 109 the old king before blackhole still a very good product Optimum opti-seal wipe on flash of product very good for that last touch finish .
    Blacklight the new rave product in one word awesome if you only buy one product buy this one.
    Waxes. collinite 915 ,dodo skull candy , generally i am not a big wax fan , collinite 915 stock wax for the winter put two coats of this on at the end of october and forget about the car for 6 months Dodo juice skull candy , like all the dodo range smells fantastic but does not last very long but does give outstanding results .

tyre dressing Mequiars endurance . nothing else needed

wheel sealent , jetseal 109 last ages as you would expect it was originally developed as the name suggests for aircraft and is heavily used amoung the airline fleets

now i bet you wish you had not asked over to khalid for his input thats if he has not beaten me to post while i have been writing this
    Driving vauxhall,s for 30 + years
    and still loving it

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia vxr

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 turbo

Year : 61

Mileage : 38000

all im going to say is what is his budget , as you know you could get not a bad bit off kit for i would say 20 pounds inc all the cloths . khalid

. irmy door pins, pedals,chrome /elec folding mirrors covers.parking sensors/ window tints all round.blue led dash conversion.debaged /k+n filter twin mij cat back exhaust . xp front spoiler and irmy boot spoiler .b8,s and H+ R springs. afl, headlights

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

lol i did go up to he meguiars detailing day and learned alot but it has lead to so many questions and bits i wanna try lol so i have got mostly megs gear which i find excellent, especially the ultimate compound but my cars bodywork is awful so i dont bother with it so only have my dads and mums cars to play with lol and there isnt as much drive there, what also dont help is i dont have a drive or anything and live right on a main road so you clean a car and its dusty and dirty again 2 hours later which is really annoying lol

as for money, i dont mind spending it for the right gear, ive got to organise all my cleaning stuff and look at what i have and havent got then go on a bit of a spending spree lol, and stock up on bits like clay and quickdetailer lol

thanks for you help anyways, cleared things up bout sealant etc

might fond time at the weekend to do my mums 09 plate agila and ill report back

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia vxr

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 turbo

Year : 61

Mileage : 38000

Quote Originally Posted by vxpenfold View Post
    lol i did go up to he meguiars detailing day and learned alot but it has lead to so many questions and bits i wanna try lol so i have got mostly megs gear which i find excellent, especially the ultimate compound but my cars bodywork is awful so i dont bother with it so only have my dads and mums cars to play with lol and there isnt as much drive there, what also dont help is i dont have a drive or anything and live right on a main road so you clean a car and its dusty and dirty again 2 hours later which is really annoying lol

as for money, i dont mind spending it for the right gear, ive got to organise all my cleaning stuff and look at what i have and havent got then go on a bit of a spending spree lol, and stock up on bits like clay and quickdetailer lol

thanks for you help anyways, cleared things up bout sealant etc

might fond time at the weekend to do my mums 09 plate agila and ill report back
    have you got your name down for the free brentwood meet ,if you come you can have a go with anything i will be bringing , im sure we can get it looking good ,then it will be just keeping it looking good . .khalid

. irmy door pins, pedals,chrome /elec folding mirrors covers.parking sensors/ window tints all round.blue led dash conversion.debaged /k+n filter twin mij cat back exhaust . xp front spoiler and irmy boot spoiler .b8,s and H+ R springs. afl, headlights

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

im defo thinking about it, but unfortunately its pvs weekend but i might leave that till next year and come and camp

you know what, **** it, im coming lol where do i put my name down lol

as for my car lol you haven't seen it, its nickname at work is 150 dent, and for good reason lol it needs a respray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information