Hey all,
When starting the car cold, I get the typical puff of white smoke from the exhaust, but when I start driving, just inside the turbo range I get a puff of black smoke, bad enough that I can see it from my rearview AND my sideview mirrors.

If I gun it and hammer the accelerator the puff of smoke is purely embarressing!

its a 54 Reg, 51k miles and due for a service. But it seems that the black smoke has gotten ALOT worse in the past couple of months.

Im a newbie with cars and would love to do whatever investigation I can, I heard somewhere about the possibility of split pipes. I have had a good look around the engine bay but couldn't actually see anything of fault (but lets be honest, I dont really know what I am looking for!)

Tonight I am going to stick a video of the exhaust blow so you can see, then if there is 'somewhere' I should look I'll stick pictures on so you can annotate them ... ha

I've spoken to a mechanic and he just said 'Diesels smoke...' yeh, ok, I get that, but this is a hell of alot more than just some 'smoke'

Hopefully you fine chaps can help me out.