Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default TomTom Navigator 6

Just been to the TomTom website and noticed that there is now a version 6 available for PDA (and mobiles) - nice of TomTom to e-mail me (as I'm registered with them) to let me know!

Users of the Go 510, 710, and 910 will already have this version in their units, and I liked a few of the features I saw on Cabby's 910!

What is annoying though is that my PDA (iPAQ 3970 and still a very good unit) is now no longer listed as being compatible - think it's possibly due it's built in memory size or processing speed (or both) the new software requires.

Anyway, I've e-mailed TomTom to confirm that my iPAQ isn't compatible and to ask when they're starting upgrades. You can buy it now, just nothing on upgrades.

Don't suppose anyone has already bought v6 for a PDA? If so, any opinions?

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Don't think it's out just yet D....awaiting an upgrade price as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    Just been to the TomTom website and noticed that there is now a version 6 available for PDA (and mobiles) - nice of TomTom to e-mail me (as I'm registered with them) to let me know!

Users of the Go 510, 710, and 910 will already have this version in their units, and I liked a few of the features I saw on Cabby's 910!

What is annoying though is that my PDA (iPAQ 3970 and still a very good unit) is now no longer listed as being compatible - think it's possibly due it's built in memory size or processing speed (or both) the new software requires.

Anyway, I've e-mailed TomTom to confirm that my iPAQ isn't compatible and to ask when they're starting upgrades. You can buy it now, just nothing on upgrades.

Don't suppose anyone has already bought v6 for a PDA? If so, any opinions?

D
    Duncan,

I would recommend the site below if you have any questions on GPS. If you run down the list of points it talks about compatibility with the 3950 (if you go into that thread it mentions that the 3970 seems to work OK).

I down loaded the speed/safety camera POI for my IPAQ 2750 (over a year ago) and it has helped a few times. They are pretty good at updating the speed/safety camera POIs, I usually synchronise it every few weeks (and it’s FREE). It also includes mobile units, red light camers and SPECS.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/module...=viewforum&f=6

If you go to the home page you should see the speed/safety camera link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It's listed on the TomTom store, and places likes Dabs (not in stock there though) so maybe you'll have a bit of a wait if you order it now.

If TomTom are true to forum it'll take them a while to get the upgrade program sorted - annoying as we are the current loyal customers!

What also really annoys me is that Eire doesn't seem to exist for TomTom, not even on the Western Europes map! If it's not part of Western Europe then what the hell is is part of!! lol

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Swatty
    I would recommend the site below if you have any questions on GPS. If you run down the list of points it talks about compatibility with the 3950 (if you go into that thread it mentions that the 3970 seems to work OK).
    Ah cool - I'm a member on that forum, hadn't got round to having a shufty round there yet. Cheers. Just found this thread on there. Hmmm, might make me think twice - especially as the maps don't (yet) seem to be any newer than on version 5!!

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If the last message in that thread is right I would miss the ability to view it in wide screen mode (using the rotate screen option). I picked the Seidio mount because you can rotate it (you can also buy a cable which will charge the GPS unit off the cradle).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by In a states
    ....awaiting an upgrade price as well.
    Couple of thread on that pocketgps site make interesting reading!! Here and here.

Seems, as I've been noticing, that TomTom are giving less and less of a stuff about PDA owners as they want you to go and buy one of the all-in-one units. Even then their map update program (and how current their maps are) is laughable!

If TomTom don't do an upgrade program for current users, and expect us to fork out the £90 odd quid the same as a new user, then I'll certainly be looking at other software packages.

What always kept me with TomTom was aprt from generally having good products (albeit with a number of niggles and their steadfast policy of totally ignoring cusotmer feedback!!!) their upgrade program gave a low-cost way of getting the newer versions. They can stuff that if they are going to charge us full price for it.

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : GSI

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 2003

I Have TomTom 6 running on a Pocket PC, My Pocket PC is one of those Mitac Mio 168's with the built in GPS antena, well i actually got it from Aldi, so its branded up as Medion.

Spec is:

CPU Intel® PXA255 Xscale 300 MHz
    Operating System Microsoft™ PocketPC 2003
    GSP Interface NMEA-0183 v3.01
    Memory 32MB Flash ROM. 64MB SDRAM

i have a 512MB memory card in with GB maps plus major roads of western europe, runs like a dream.

The bundled software with the PDA was Medion Navigator 4.2, which is a modified version of navigon navigator, it was VERY laggy. (i.e between screens/waiting for it to load etc.)

I've tried Navigon navigator Ver. 5, again, VERY laggy. I'm waiting on Navigon Navigator ver. 6 to see how that compares.

Although i like TomTom, i find the maps are very amateur looking compared to Navigon Navigator.

Also tried Destinator 6 and Route 66.

Russ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Areally thing happened to me the other day, TT told me to turn right off the M25 just north of the M4 junction .... and there WAS a slip road there .. for the police , LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : GSI

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Swatty
    If the last message in that thread is right I would miss the ability to view it in wide screen mode (using the rotate screen option). I picked the Seidio mount because you can rotate it (you can also buy a cable which will charge the GPS unit off the cradle).
    Yeah btw, the ability to rotate the screen from potrait to landscape has gone and i also thought the volume was not as loud as previous versions too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information