0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

confused 2.0Dti (Y20DTH) almost stalling - intermittent

Hello, I have a 102,000 miles 2.0Dti. It has just begun an intermittent fault, when at low throttle the engine will almost stall and lose almost all power. It will automatically rev up to around 1200 RPM and then fall back to almost stall and then repeat. It responds to throttle pedal and revs up cleanly. No black smoke at idle or on heavy load or high speed. Starts, cruises and accelerates perfectly, even 80MPH up motorway hill with no issues.
    I had fault codes checked - none present which surprised technician.
    I pulled off loom to MAF sensor when it was misbehaving today (whilst running but stationary), fault cleared. So I replaced MAF with new BOSCH unit. Sadly the fault is still with me and still intermittent.
    Problem is becoming more frequent and more serious - started about 10 days ago.
    I am looking for vacuum leaks but pipes/unions all seem ok.The 3 control valves that the vacuum pipes lead to all seem to bleed vacuum when engine off, I presume this is normal(?) All three actuators operate smoothly and easily.
    Any suggestions welcomed.
    Thank you. Mat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mat if your car has a throttle position sensor on the inlet manifold , remove the vacuum hose from the diafram next to the egr and block the hose up to maintain the vacuum . if this cures the throttle fluctuation then suspect the tps to be faulty.
    Driving vauxhall,s for 30 + years
    and still loving it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beaten to it...

As above, I think that this has found to be related to the throttle body in the past. You've said that you have 3 vacuum units so presumably your car has the valve in the throttle body (the other 2 are for the swirl valves and turbo wastegate), but does it have the throttle position sensor as well? This can be found on the back of the throttle body directly in line with the vacuum unit (that operates the valve) on the front. I think they usually say 'Elobau' on them. The position can fail and so cause the engine ECU to hunt around trying to find out what position the throttle valve is in.

Have a search and a read of some threads like this one and this one and this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Thank you - I shall try these

Thank you gentlemen, I was concerned it was EGR valve but did not want to get that deep and expensive without dismissing other possibles. I have checked and replaced dodgy but apparently OK vacuum pipes and squirted WD40 into electrical connections on TPS, vacuum sensor, vacuum actuators, and other suspects just in case. Throttle moves easily and is clean inside. I shall try your suggestions before moving on to removing and cleaning EGR valve.Failing that the TPS is fairly cheap and I may swap that out before the biggie - EGR! If that is it I hope it will respond to a good clean before shelling out!
    Regards
    Mat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Seems to TPS, shame not available as a part...

Following your advice, when it went in to hunt mode and I disconnected vacuum pipe and it cleared the fault, reattaching pipe restored hunting up and down revs. Seems to be when unit gets hot. I am trying to find replacement sensor but appears only to be available as whole upper throttle body assembly - big money! I am trying to trace the sensor itself and have found the maker and model type, I wonder if I can get one (doubt it).
    Do any of you have any ideas if removing vacuum pipe to throttle actuator will cause problems.
    I may try to shield sensor from heat to see if this helps - the sensor is a solid state (hall effect) device and I suspect that temperature is instigating breakdown. Wigging wires to sensor make no difference.
    Regards
    Mat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mat give this number a call 08719 837424 or e mail sales@autotekelectronics.co.uk there a company that do refurb inlet manifolds and tps sensors . just quote your inlet manifold part no .
    prices quoted for a tps sensor was £27.54 but they quoted me £49.99 for a refurbed manifold with the tps

A inlet maniifold with tps for 2.0 DTi is part no 2446 0302 ,
    I have not tried this company i only found out about them after i had allready ordered one from auto vaux
    Last edited by bobssignum; 22nd May 2011 at 22:16.
    Driving vauxhall,s for 30 + years
    and still loving it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Bob, I shall check this out. If they have TPS then far better than whole manifold with boost sensor etc. I shall let you know how I get on - good to share ideas and hopefully solutions. I take it from your name you are in the trade. Mat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Likely solution

After a quick clean of EGR valve it got a lot worse. So I cleaned EGR with more care, cleaned out sticky gunge in upper inlet manifold/butterfly and as far in to lower manifold (vacuuming out soot as I went). I reckon this was all due to dirty EGR valve and sooty inlet manifold. I shall be cleaning manifold soon - but noted that one swirl flap (nearest EGR) had gone - hopefully dissolved slowly rather than sucked in. It works a lot better now - and a proper clean of manifold will yeild further improvements in performance and MPG. If fault reappears I shall be back on the forum. Mat

Thread Information