0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Problem with 2.0DTI

Hi all, having some problems with my 04 Signum 2.0DTI. When it is idle, the rev needle is dropping to about 500rpm and then bouncing back up to 1000rpm repeatedly, and at the same time it feels as though it's punching the engine. It is as if it is trying to stall itself, but it doesn't quite cut out. It has done this ever since I bought the car in November, but the problem wasn't as bad then, it would just do it every so often. At first I used some redex to clean the system, then I had the diesel filter changed, and then after reading many threads from people who had the same problem, I took the car into the garage and told them the problem and suggested they check my vacuum air hose pipes, when the car came back from the garage they had apparently checked all pipes but found no splits or anything unusual, and they said it cant be anything serious so keep driving it until it breaks!
    However the problem seemed to sort itself out for a small while. After a recent long trip of about 1500 miles the car is now doing this thing much more, and if I am sat still and the car is doing it for a while it will also start pumping out a lot of smoke. Once it's running it is generally fine, the fuel economy is well over 50mpg, although I have noticed that when I accelerate but then gently release pressure on the accelerator there is a slight jumping or a pull on the engine, it feels as if not enough fuel is getting through possibly? I really need to get the car booked back into the garage but wondered if anyone on here have had the same problem, so I have some idea of what work is needed to be done, and how much the ****** thing will cost!
    The only thing I could think it could be is a blockage somewhere in the fuel system. I was driving the car last week when the engine electronics light came on, but then went off after about 3 or 4 miles, but then when I pulled up the car started jumping and the light came back on... then went off, I have since covered about 100 miles and the light has not reappeared, even though the car has been very jumpy, so I'm not sure if the light is linked? Also, when starting the car at the weekend it immediately started jumping and it actually completely stalled itself, it hasn't done this before. I have looked in the engine when it is idle and jumping, and it shakes around the whole engine and exhaust system.
    Can anyone help me!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't no a lot about the fuel system on these but I had same faults on wifes primera after hours of messing and changing things it turned out to be a suction control valve on the fuel pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure about this as personally not heard it before, however as the light came on there will definitely be a fault code stored so get the codes read, otherwise you'll be guessing all day long and not find the issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like its a faulty throttle position sensor , to prove it pull of the vacuum hose that connects to the diagfram closests to the egr and block the tube.
    The engine should run normally now If you can get the codes read look for a p0638 fault code this will confirm the faulty tps .
    VX do not do replacement tps ,s by them selves you have to buy the whole inlet manifold circa £270 -300 but try the online vx spares dealer like auto vaux should get one for around £200
    Driving vauxhall,s for 30 + years
    and still loving it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bobssignum View Post
    Sounds like its a faulty throttle position sensor , to prove it pull of the vacuum hose that connects to the diagfram closests to the egr and block the tube.
    The engine should run normally now If you can get the codes read look for a p0638 fault code this will confirm the faulty tps .
    VX do not do replacement tps ,s by them selves you have to buy the whole inlet manifold circa £270 -300 but try the online vx spares dealer like auto vaux should get one for around £200
    Is that the diaphragm that's bolted onto the trottle body? Cos on my '02 plate 2.2dti I don't even have one. Found this out in a post a few months back, so wonder why mine doesn't need one, but others do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 2.2 DTi have the tps on the throttle itself , and there appears to be two different version,s for the 2.0,s.
    One with one actuattor on the bulkhead above the radiator and the other with two
    Driving vauxhall,s for 30 + years
    and still loving it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didnt read all your post.

YOur car is hunting, if it only doing it when upo temp its the crank shaft sensor about £35 for a new one from vaux and held in with 1 screw a the front of the engine just above the sump line.

You ould be getting the ca and spanner light and the radiator light coming on when it has a "Blip /starts hunting/ misfiring"

there are 2 types of crank sensors on the DTI one has he cable moulded to it the cable joins in a bracket at the frot of the engine yellow + Black block

The second doesnt have the cable moulded to it the jus plugs into the back of the sensor.

Check which one you have first befire purchasing or buy both and take the wrong one back.
    Last edited by roswell; 18th May 2011 at 22:21.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the responses, I'm not mechanically minded so will get it booked into garage and see if they can get a code, it's still fine to drive atm, just a little embarrassing when it decides to rev itself in a queue of traffic lol

Thread Information