Thread: A question for 1.8 vvti owners

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question A question for 1.8 vvti owners

Was looking at a few motors today and found a great example in a 1.8SRi. Hand on heart, would anyone say they have found the car is underpowered?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...11jr?logcode=p

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Depends what you want from it. I find it absolutely fine. It's perfectly fast for me, sometimes would be nice to have a bit more power and speed, but overall I'm more than happy with mine. MPG can be anything between 24mpg (town) and 45mpg (motorway). At the end of the day we all do the same speed on the road, so don't really see the point in buying something that does 130+ mph when you can't use it. Also with the traffic the way it is around Luton and Dunstable you don't need one that's quick off the mark as we're usually held up all the time lol. I bought mine from bellevue too, and was happy with the service I got from them. They also do pretty good service costs too if you take it back for a service etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thanks for that! now just to get my finances in order and i'll be a fully fledged member of the vec club lol!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by gavmckay View Post
    Was looking at a few motors today and found a great example in a 1.8SRi. Hand on heart, would anyone say they have found the car is underpowered?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...11jr?logcode=p
    ================================================== =

If 1.8 petrol is what you desire , each to their own and i wish you luck ...

i had a 1.8 petrol Exlusive Vectra 5 years ago and found the car a little heavy for the 1.8 vvt engine and was slow to accelerate ...

but if tootling around is only what you do , it'll be fine ... and once it gets up to speed it's a great cruiser ...

but i have since opted to have a 1.9 diesel Vec and a 2.2 petrol Vec since ..

and that milage is good for a 2006 car ...

But for that money on the advert , you can buy a more economical / powerful 1.9 diesel in either 8 valve 120 bhp or 16 valve 150 bhp .. i.m.o. === and they will hold their value better than an equivalent 1.8 petrol ....

Maybe not as low as 41 k milage but probably under 75 k milage for the same money ...
    Last edited by HITFACTORY1403; 17th May 2011 at 15:48.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if you want to drive your advertised 1.8 sri straight out of the garage without extra expense ........ be quick ..

because the tax expires on it on the 1st june 2011 ...

and it costs more than the diesel tax ...

petrol 1.8 === 6 months ... £ 104.50 ..

petrol 1.8 == 12 months ... £ 190 .00 ..

With it being a 1.8 16 valve engine , i assume it is the 140 bhp engine and not the lowlely 120 bhp petrol engine ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The vvti is alright mine is a 06 plate had the car since it was 6mth old no probs with it also it is the 140 bhp and not the 120 that the previous 1.8 had get the revs above 4000 and thats when you start to notice it since putting on the the twin exhaust and mod the airbox it feels abit nipper too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c

Trim : ls

Engine : 1800 non vvt

Year : 2004

Mileage : 167340

As far as I can remember, in the short time ive been here, this week has seen the first post where a 1.8 engine has sustained a terminal failure, which unfortunately cannot be said about the Fiat sourced diesel's VX use.
    I would recommend a 1.8 because they do not suffer from any of the major issues that seem to afflict the diesels in the range. Its been said time and time again on this forum that most people only use this forum when things go wrong, maybe the reason why there are not that many 1.8 user regularly posting here. vectra ste appears to have covered all the issues that appear on a regular basis, the worst, or at least most expensive, begin the Dual Mass Fly Wheel.
    The 1.8 is by no mean of anyone imagination a flying machine, neither does it have the torque of a turbo charged Diesel, but then most petrol cars don't. People say they are gutless, but that's all down to the way people drive. If you drive foot to the floor, every gear off the rev limiter then yes they are defiantly gutless but I gave up driving like that years ago and drive like a normal person these days.
    One other important issue that the 1.9 appears to have is a liking to is breaking its timing belt way before its usable service life. Changes are 10 years(I think) or 100K but many documented cases of belts breaking years and thousands of miles inside that service interval. Now the rockers are designed to break and save the engine, this may be the case at idle, but at 70mph the damage can be catastrophic. 1.8 is a far safer 6 years or 60k, and having changed mine at 6 years and 45k can say that it was in very good condition, that's not to say if the belt breaks you wouldn't be looking at a full top end replacement, like any 16v it will break valves.
    Fuel consumption for the 1.8? Well not far off that of the 1.9, in fact many people on here exceeding 1.9 diesel figures, but thats all down to the way owners drive them, on both sides. I get a combined 38 mpg, many 1.9 owners reporting less than that, but on a motorway run sitting on cruise control I believe I get 45mpg no problem. Around town expect low 30's.
    A lot of people like to quote 0-60 times but when was the last time anyone actually used that on a daily basis? I never feel unsafe in mine it always pulls away and into traffic no problems. Only issues that do seem to afflict the 1.8 is Thermostats, in the vvt they are expensive, the part being around £105-£150.
    1.8's suffer the usual Vectra issues with Springs, upper control arms and arb bushes being the normal across the Vectra C range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thanks again for the comments. its really appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I agree with the comments, although the extra power would be nice the VVTi still has plenty of go, they are solid engines and mpg are half decent too. The 2.0T are just as solid but expect to pay a bit extra fuel and for the cost of the car. Also try to get one with the options you desire, Personally regret not getting a design as I really fancy the half leather interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Rebellion8878 View Post
    Also try to get one with the options you desire,
    Personally regret not getting a design as I really fancy the half leather interior.
    ================================================== =
    i have a Design 2.2 direct ...

it has a nice number of additional options on it ...

half leather as you mentioned ,, automatic headlights ,, dimming mirror ,, automatic rain wipers ,, electric moon roof ,, colour sat nav / computer ,, 4 X electric windows ,, windows and moon roof on the remote key ,, cruise control ,, p/s ,, etc ...

only thing is ....... is that the 16 inch alloys are a bit plain or is the Design meant to look more plainer or grown up than say the racy looking S.R.I. ?

i would like to add a rear boot spoiler and some 17 or 18 inch s.r.i wheels to mine if i can find them cheap enough ...

it's a shame the better looking s.r.i. didn't come with more toys and that the higher specced Design looks quite plain .
    Last edited by HITFACTORY1403; 17th May 2011 at 18:27.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information