User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grrrr - what is it with people using my car as a 'parking aid'?!!!!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Angry Grrrr - what is it with people using my car as a 'parking aid'?!!!!!!

After this happening recently, somebody only went and did similar this morning!!!

Parked up in a retail park car park to nip into PC World for some bits, parked nose front into a space with two clear spaces either side of me. Hadn't quite parked dead straight so I was about to reverse to straighten up when I noticed a car coming in from my right to park next to me, so I just stayed still to wait until they'd parked up before moving again. As his front N/s corner came close to me I thought "Jeez, he's getting a bit...." THUD!! Noooooo!!!!

Got out and had a look and he's scraped down both doors. Couldn't see the whole damage at the time as it was pi**ing down. Elderly gent got out and apologised, said it was a bit tighter than he'd expected! No sh*t Sherlock!! He asked if we should go inside one of the stores to exchange details, I said just jump in the back - just as dry and more comfortable!! lol

I couldn't see any dent when I first looked, and wondered if it'd all polish out - but a couple of scrapes made me think maybe not. So I nipped into the bodyshop that did the recent accident work and got them to have a look. They said both doors need respraying to get the best result. Fine by me. How much(ish) is that going to be I asked. Around £400!! Expensive little parking bump for Mr Citroen Berlingo!!

You can see the scrapes on both doors and fortunately no dent. He came down the side as opposed to ramming into me.

Question I've got is.....it happened in a retail park car park, which is basically private land. His insurers aren't going to try and wriggle out of paying up are they with some bollox (if they're that way inclined)? Could they do that? I thought that insurance cover was in force no matter what land you were on? Just wanted to check before I ring them.

Edit: Just rang my insurers to run it by them - but not make a claim through them yet. They've told me that what land you're on is irrelevant, the insurers are still liable. So at least I can go pre-armed in case they try to give some nonsense that it's 50/50 or whatever. I'll deal direct with his insurers, unless they start to get difficult, in which case I'll get onto my insurers. I just didn't want to make a claim, have to pay the £200 excess and then get it back off the other insurers - it'd be easier if his insurers dealt directly with the bodyshop I'm going to use.

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

aww flippin eck mate.. it gets thou you can't have a shiney car anymore..

As i understand the land laws, if the public have access to the land, even if it is privatly owned, then the land is deemed to be public space. his insurance should roll over hopefully..

did the old boy give you a 'confession' or admit guilt?? not that he could really deny it FFs.

Berlingo driver..old boy.. should have warned you a mile off!! can i suggest a respray in acid orange to make you easier to spot??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Bl00dy Hell D,

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Bl00dy hell duncan you are having a good time with that car arn't you!!!
    I think its time you changed it and your luck!!!!

looking at the photos are your doors aligned correctly? trim/strip doesn't seem to line up level or is this also what the old chap has done??

sorry to hear its happened again (get rid and get some new luck!!!!)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

only the roof and near side to go and you'd have the entire car resprayed in the space of a year.

can't believe you keep attracting these people Duncan.

it's a good thing you were in the car though, he may have just hit you and run had the car been empty.

hope you get it sorted mate

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2
    As i understand the land laws, if the public have access to the land, even if it is privatly owned, then the land is deemed to be public space. his insurance should roll over hopefully..
    Yep, that's basically it. Before I spoke to my insurer, I rang a solicitor friend who said he'd check with a motor law colleague and get back to me - but the chat with my insurer answered my question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2
    did the old boy give you a 'confession' or admit guilt?? not that he could really deny it FFs.
    Well, as good as. He said "It was a bit tighter than I anticipated" and apologised, so as good a fess up as I'm gonna get! lol No, bit difficult to deny it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis
    looking at the photos are your doors aligned correctly? trim/strip doesn't seem to line up level or is this also what the old chap has done??
    No, nothing to do with him. The door was adjusted by the (selling) dealer yonks ago to get rid of some wind noise. I think they went a bit too far!! Been bugging me for ages and I must get it aligned again. If I get the wind noise again then maybe a new seal will sort it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis
    ....(get rid and get some new luck!!!!)
    Nooo!! I like my car and it's looking really nice now! (Bar a scrape on two doors!! ) It'll get sorted and I'll get two doors resprayed - they had a few stone chips on them so that'll get rid of them!!

I've just spoken with his insurers and they were fine with everything. Theyu just need to speak to the old boy to make sure he confirms and agrees with what I'v reported. Hopefully they'll ring back today so that I can get it booked into the bodyshop ASAP.

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    only the roof and near side to go and you'd have the entire car resprayed in the space of a year.
    lol - I know!! It's only the two N/S doors (and roof) that haven't had any paint on them this year!! Although a number of those panels were voluntarily sprayed to spruce them up, as opposed to damage sprayed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    it's a good thing you were in the car though, he may have just hit you and run had the car been empty.
    Exactly what I was thinking!! If I'd been out of the car when he hit it, I wonder if he'd have left a note or if I'd have come back to an empty space next to me and a scraped car. Given that it was pi**ing down I might not even have seen the damage straight away and only when i got home - then I would have been

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

best of luck lets hope its sorted out nice and quick!!

al least your car won't have a lot of mileage when you sell as its nearly always in the bodyshop!!!!

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

D, if you believe in old wife's tails - a car carries it's own luck! So it may be time to get rid and get the VXR estate.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

VXR estate is on my short list!! - especially now that I see BSR are doing a remap for it!! Going to post up in tuning about it.

Edit: BTW I don't believe in old wive's tails!

D

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information