Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Bump on single track road.

One of the guys in work was travelling back (tonight) from one of our remote sites. It was around 5pm so there was plenty of light.

The guy stopped opposite a passing place to let the other car pass but the other car did not see him. The other car spotted him too late, skidded, and hit the driverís front side wheel at 45 degrees.

Our car was a hire car, we opt out the hire care insurance by using our own corporate insurance.

The police attending the incident indicated that because it was an accident on a single track road the repairs liability could be 50/50. My colleague assures me he was stationary.

Since the dosh to repair the hire car will need to come out my budget is there anything I need to do before it goes to the insurance people Ė or should I resign myself to the 50/50.

spoons

Dont know much about this type of thing, but my parents live down a 2 mile single track lane and my mum keeps telling me to drive slow, as its knock for knock - even if you are stationary Cos, you cant prove otherwise !!

My dad says, get out of the car and kick the living **** out of the other driver to pay up there and then, if it was their fault... but he works on building site rules and he doesnt take prisoners !!

EDIT: My dad fell out with a neighbour over this single track on 'who reverses first' when they meet travelling towards each other - he wont budge normally. So they sit there staring at each other

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Won't any skid marks show that the other car was moving and your guy was stationary? Don't suppose he managed to get any piccies at the scene?

D

spoons

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    Won't any skid marks show that the other car was moving and your guy was stationary? Don't suppose he managed to get any piccies at the scene? D
    As far as I know, only from what I have been told, skid marks still dont prove anything, as ABS on newer cars doesnt prove that your car was stationary at the point of impact... its always going to be knock for knock... unless you have witnesses, and not many of those on a single track....

EDIT: The worst bends on a single track usually already have a collection of skid marks... Advanced Driver Training gives you the heads up, if you read the road... if you know what I mean...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by spoons
    Dont know much about this type of thing, but my parents live down a 2 mile single track lane and my mum keeps telling me to drive slow, as its knock for knock - even if you are stationary Cos, you cant prove otherwise !!

My dad says, get out of the car and kick the living **** out of the other driver to pay up there and then, if it was their fault... but he works on building site rules and he doesnt take prisoners !!

EDIT: My dad fell out with a neighbour over this single track on 'who reverses first' when they meet travelling towards each other - he wont budge normally. So they sit there staring at each other
    Hi Spoons,

I spoke to the guy tonight and he said he lost it a bit, he gave the other chap a mouthful (only verbalís) . It was like slow motion (but he could not get out the way) watching the motor coming towards him.

I think Iím going to have to resign myself to paying for the hire car repairs.

Itís only car damage no people damage which is always the best way (although he may have a few aches tomorrow when he wakes up).

Iíve just read you edit about the not budging bit, I have to confess I done that as well (who wins depend on what direction the next car approaches from).

spoons

Quote Originally Posted by Swatty
    Hi Spoons,........the not budging bit, I have to confess I done that as well (who wins depend on what direction the next car approaches from).
    My dad has even turned off the engine and got out !!! and lit a cigarette !! He just dont care

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As far as I know, only from what I have been told, skid marks still dont prove anything, as ABS on newer cars doesnt prove that your car was stationary at the point of impact...
    Don't follow. ABS still leaves marks on road. When I had my Porsche 'incident', you could see clearly the avoiding route I took as there was faint, but still very visible, tyre tracks on the road. ABS doesn't eliminate tyre tracks when braking hard.

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Won't any skid marks show that the other car was moving and your guy was stationary? Don't suppose he managed to get any piccies at the scene?

D
    I never thought to ask, I assumed the police who were called to the incident would sort that out (they still advised that it could be 50/50)

spoons

Don't follow. ABS still leaves marks on road. When I had my Porsche incident, you could see clearly the avoiding route I took as there was faint, but still very visible, tyre tracks on the road. ABS doesn't eliminate tyre tracks when braking hard. D
    Yeh, I know what you mean, but on a single track there isnt any 'avoiding routes'... each driver has the right to be in the middle of the road.

This means that its black and white.... You either avoid each other, or you hit each other.... because their isnt any 'avoiding routes' on a single track, you MUST drive slow enough to stop completely... if someone else is driving too fast and hits you, it still cant be proven that you were absolutely stationary, without witnesses... Your word against theirs...

Its **** I know......

TRUE STORY, I was driving home from mums with Diana and Tiny in the car, when a guy from a nearby farm came around the corner at 60-70mph.... as soon as I saw his car I slammed on the brakes, and so did he.... sliding in a 4 wheel skid straight towards me.. I do not lie, when I say that I came to a complete stop... had time to select reverse and wheelspun backwards and he went sliding past my car into the hedge...... He got out and appologised.... I was so shocked I just stood there whilst he told me his son had died and he had just buried him... so I wished him well.... still shocked, I drove off...

Told my mum and she new this guy and said he doesnt have a son.... ****ing ******, If I ever see him I will kick his ****ing **** I can tell you

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeh, I know what you mean, but on a single track there isnt any 'avoiding routes'... each driver has the right to be in the middle of the road.

This means that its black and white.... You either avoid each other, or you hit each other.... because their isnt any 'avoiding routes' on a single track, you MUST drive slow enough to stop completely... if someone else is driving too fast and hits you, it still cant be proven that you were absolutely stationary, without witnesses... Your word against theirs...
    Right, I just thought that if there were skid marks present from one car, and none from the other, then it would help the non-skid markcar - but sounds like that won't help - you need witnesses?

D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information