User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! on buying my first Vectra !

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question HELP! on buying my first Vectra !

Hi just joined the forum after being a member of the ford owners site for the last year. Since passing my test 18 months ago i have owned 2 Ford Focus's and they have both been very reliable and make a great first car.
    Now i am 24 i have decided to get a better car and have always liked the Vectra's they look worth alot more than they cost.
    My local mechanic who i have known for ages has told me to stay away from Diesel's as they can have lots of problems compared to the petrol. He told me to stay away from Vectra's all together lol but i like them so i am going for the Vectra C in petrol.
    Now being young i am wanting either the 1.8 or 2.2 SRI in Black so i wont be accused of driving my dad's car lol.

I only know the basics of cars and have searched Google for what i can on Vectra's but i would appreciate some help on the following please:

.Is there any difference in the Vectra C models 52-55 plate and the 55-08 plate apart from the facelift at the front?

.What basics should i look for when buying? like the timing belt being done? or are they chain? When do the clutch or other major parts need changing on average?
    Is there any common problems i should watch out for?

I am only looking to spend around £3500 max which private will get me between an 03 and a 55 plate "face lift model". They mostly have around 60,000 to 85,000 miles on for that price range,

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me on what to look out for when buying the SRI model.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi and welcome

First off, there is a difference, 02 - 05 (roughly) is pre facelift, different lights, bonnet, wings and bumpers on the front. from then on they are facelift models.

if you get a 2.2 then it has a chain instead of a belt, if you buy one that has a belt make sure it has been done at around 50,000 max.

You would have to choose your model of preference, but for £3,500 you will be able to get a good motor, but do not buy the first one you see, take a look around as there are lots available. HTH

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

id go for the 2.2 out of both later ones have a 6 speed but think they will be out of your price range so proberly go for a 2.2 sri prefacelift

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by vectrac150cdti View Post
    id go for the 2.2 out of both later ones have a 6 speed but think they will be out of your price range so proberly go for a 2.2 sri prefacelift
    out of the two I would choose the 2.2. I had one previous and loved it. Decent amount of power and very nice, like all vec's to drive.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ginge7289 View Post
    out of the two I would choose the 2.2. I had one previous and loved it. Decent amount of power and very nice, like all vec's to drive.
    The 2.2 SRI is what i really want but living in bloomin Liverpool the cheapest i can get my insurance down at the moment is £165 a month 3rd party Fire an Theft as i have only been driving 18 months. That's why i am only looking to spend up to £3500 because if i get hit by a scumbag with no insurance my car will most likely be a right off.
    So the 2.2 SRI's are chain and therefore wont need nothing like that changing? should i make sure its got at least some service history?

Also meant to ask i have seen the occasional SRI for sale with the 19 inch snowflake alloys off the VXR and they look alot better than the 17's on the SRI but do they make the ride bad with being so big?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

better with 18s with how **** our roads are 19s are prone to crack

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by vectrac150cdti View Post
    better with 18s with how **** our roads are 19s are prone to crack
    Tell me about it. Were i live is awful. If u dont mind me asking have u ever had much trouble with your 1.9cdti ? they look appealing as that does offer the greater amount of horsepower for the engine size. Is the supposed trouble with the diesel models an "old wives tale" or do they have more problems than the petrol?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Are you considering doing mods/upgrades?

Reason for the question is, some of the earlier preface models are alot easier to modify from an electronic point of view than the later models.

The earlier models used more of a generic wiring loom, and in lots of cases the various plugs are already installed throughout the car so it can basically become plug and play (abeit needing programming) where as the later models had specific looms for the model which left adding to it a lot more difficult.

But, if you go for a higher spec car, then it will not be as much of a problem... Certainly worth considering mate.

Good luck in your hunting for one... One hard and fast rule on this forum... Photos!! We want to see what you finally buy!

Rgds
    Aidi

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Aidi View Post
    Are you considering doing mods/upgrades?

Reason for the question is, some of the earlier preface models are alot easier to modify from an electronic point of view than the later models.

The earlier models used more of a generic wiring loom, and in lots of cases the various plugs are already installed throughout the car so it can basically become plug and play (abeit needing programming) where as the later models had specific looms for the model which left adding to it a lot more difficult.

But, if you go for a higher spec car, then it will not be as much of a problem... Certainly worth considering mate.

Good luck in your hunting for one... One hard and fast rule on this forum... Photos!! We want to see what you finally buy!

Rgds
    Aidi
    Thanx. The only mods i would plan on doing would be to make it look like the VXR with the twin exhausts and side skirts etc.
    I will definitely post pics when i buy it. Im hoping to find a nice one before the end of the month so i don't have to waste money taxing my focus at the start of june.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if u want a vxr lookalike u need a facelift u could get a 1.8 55 plate with higher than normal miles for £3500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information