User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm going for it...Remap & DPF removal here I come...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default I'm going for it...Remap & DPF removal here I come...

Had my 55 plate 1.9 150 Signum 2 months now. Had 2 injectors and a glow plug replaced under warranty, and despite being convinced that I have an EGR issue the VX dealer insist that the lack of power below 1900rpm and worse than expected economy (41mpg combined average) is normal for this engine.

I decided I wanted better economy, a little more power and smoother power delivery. After hours of research and reading threads on this forum (very informative!) I decided I'd go down the re-map route. Further research and discussions with local suppliers and mobile alike I settled on an economy remap from Evolution Chips, and at the same time they're bashing out the DPF insides and mapping it out.

It goes in on Friday. I can't wait to see the results. Also got air filter on order to do the mod, and some 2 stroke oil to try in the tank (it's a noisy diesel and am used to a petrol...it's taking some getting used to!).

Anyway... just thought I'd share that with you... my wife isn't in the slightest bit interested so no point in talking to her about it!

Also ordered some cleaning products and have a few other little bits and bobs I might treat her to (the car that is... not the wife).... it's addictive this forum!

Will report back Friday night after going for a spin!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Be interested in knowing how much of a difference it makes and also cost if I can be cheeky I need to get mine done

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

After some negotiation it's costing me £300 for the remap (inc DPF mapped out) and £90 for 2 hours labour on the DPF itself. Thought 2 hours was a little longer than perhaps necessary, but seeing as I wasn't going to do it myself and they started off at £490 I thought it was fairly competitive in total and it's the map I wanted... not aggressive and aimed at economy and an improved drive with smooth power delivery. Will be interesting to see if everything they claim turns out to be true. They seem to have a good rep and I couldn't find anything bad said about them on the net so took that as a good sign.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

and how did it go?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well... I've not really had chance to properly check it out, but on the short run I did manage out on the back roads it's definately more responsive, better at lower revs, and pushes me a little further back into my seat when I give it some beans... though it was no slouch before! Definately drives better, but I'm hoping to see a more noticeable difference in the economy. Will need to cover a few miles before I can check that out though. Reasonably happy so far though.

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

First law of thermodynamics cannot be broken. You will still use the same amount of fuel to drive in exactly the same way that you did before you had the remap if all other parameters are unchanged (gearing, drag factor, driving style etc). If you then decide to use the extra power and torque above what was already a more than adequate figure, then you are probably not driving in a manner that is conducive to good economy.

Most diesels can be driven around quite normally without getting anywhere near their maximum torque output, so it's difficult to see how you can improve mpg by adding to something that you already had more than enough of in the first place.

Even the 100bhp 1.9 cdti isn't lacking in torque for everyday driving, and is probably the most economical version of that engine. So maybe it's a downgrade that's best for economy?

The idea that adding more fuel to something that barely broke into a sweat in the first place, in order to improve fuel economy, must be something of an urban myth.

Sure, there are some woefully underpowered diesels around that may benefit from a dose of extra diesel, but they are few and far between these days.

Beware the Placebo effect!

Also bear in mind that remaps can upset trip computers just as badly as tuning boxes can.
    Last edited by diesel dog; 14th May 2011 at 10:00.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Well done m8. To what effect is the DPF benificial? Not much imho. Car will go faster.

Gazza4

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza4 View Post
    To what effect is the DPF benificial? Not much imho.

Gazza4
    The removal of the DPF may only add a little bit of power ,if any, to the top end of the power output. So no difference in "normal" driving. Yes his car may be faster, and I'm sure he'll have many hours of fun finding that out. More economical while he's doing that?

Also: The main reason for the DPF is local air pollution (nothing to do with global warming). For the same reason that anyone who has recently been to a classic car rally will understand why open to air engine breathers are no longer allowed.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Quote Originally Posted by diesel dog View Post
    First law of thermodynamics cannot be broken. You will still use the same amount of fuel to drive in exactly the same way that you did before you had the remap if all other parameters are unchanged (gearing, drag factor, driving style etc). If you then decide to use the extra power and torque above what was already a more than adequate figure, then you are probably not driving in a manner that is conducive to good economy.

Most diesels can be driven around quite normally without getting anywhere near their maximum torque output, so it's difficult to see how you can improve mpg by adding to something that you already had more than enough of in the first place.

Even the 100bhp 1.9 cdti isn't lacking in torque for everyday driving, and is probably the most economical version of that engine. So maybe it's a downgrade that's best for economy?

The idea that adding more fuel to something that barely broke into a sweat in the first place, in order to improve fuel economy, must be something of an urban myth.

Sure, there are some woefully underpowered diesels around that may benefit from a dose of extra diesel, but they are few and far between these days.

Beware the Placebo effect!
    I have watched the posts you have put up day in and day out; dribble dribble dribble - no one is paying attention really. Thermodynamics? You're just someone who seen that word and thought "oh that will make me sound like an academic". What is the 1st law of thermodynamics - well having done some of it in uni I shall quote it for you:

"The amount of energy in a system is always the same, heat and kinetic energy are interchangeable."

But then what you have done is twisted something (did you not have box on you V6 and blanked the EGR valve off at one point - yes you did) and made it sound pointless. Remaps actually benefit both extremeties - if you're light footed the MPG goes up (and it does - do dont waste time usuing gear ratios to explain it) and if you're heavy footed the power is there but MPG is reduced even more than what it would be with the standard map. Don't sit and quote the engineers tems when you have no clue what you're on about, sit simply relaying ideas that someone or something has told. They are the ones in the know not you.

Gazza4

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia CDTi SRi NAV 160

Trim : SRi

Engine : A20DTH

Year : 2009

Mileage : 88000

Well I can prove that Diesel Dogs theories do not apply to my car:

BSR Remap increased my MPG and I was giving my car more stick

I have now got fitted a larger exhaust, pre cat removal pipe, de-cat, K&N filter,Hybrid Turbo plus a few other bits and my MPG has gone up again even tho i drive it hard.

So basically my Car breaks the laws of thermodynamics.............

Unless perhaps there is more to the law of thermodynamics that would explain my Car's behaviour
    Lois Griffin: Peter! You're bribing your daughter with a car?
    Peter Griffin: Ah, c'mon, Lois, isn't 'bribe' just another word for 'love'?

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information